The Mediterranean is home to 22 countries spread across three continents. From the more popular boating and yachting destinations in Europe, to those countries found in Africa and Asia, there’s a wide variety of Mediterranean countries to visit on your next yacht charter through the region.
- What Countries are in the Mediterranean?
- How to Charter a Yacht in the Mediterranean – Private Yacht Charter Mediterranean
- Interesting Facts About the Mediterranean Sea
- YATCO Yacht Buying and Charter Guides
What Countries are in the Mediterranean?
Touted as one of the Mediterranean’s best kept secrets, Albania shares many of the attributes of their neighbors, Croatia and Greece – white sand beaches, crystal clear waters, temperate climates and numerous ruins and history to be found. Unlike their neighbors, however, Albania remains relatively untouched and unspoiled making this place even more appealing for boat and yacht charters.
Sitting across from the most popular Mediterranean countries sit some African gems dotted along the Mediterranean Sea. One of these is Algeria – steeped in history, culture, and beaches spanning miles along the coastline. Algeria is turning into a very popular superyacht destination as these owners and charter guests seek out destinations not as busy or overpopulated across the Med.
Bosnia and Herzegovina
With only a very little bit of coastline of the Bosnia and Herzegovina border touching the Mediterranean Sea, many people will book a yacht or boat charter around Croatia or Montenegro and pull into port to explore a bit of Bosnia and Herzegovina on land. A beautiful country with Medieval architecture abounding, visit Bosnia and Herzegovina if you want to take a step back in time and explore undisturbed surroundings.
Croatia is undoubtedly a very popular yacht charter destination. With a multitude of islands within close proximity to each other, sandy beaches, delicious food and wine, culture and ancient history to explore, there’s a little something for everyone in Croatia. Discover more about a luxury sailing yacht charter in Croatia with YATCO’s guide.
Uniquely situated below Greece and west of Asia, Cyprus benefits from stunning weather, beautiful coastlines and a blend of white sandy beaches, with high mountain peaks for those looking to stretch their legs on a yacht charter.
Another Mediterranean country that borders the Mediterranean on one side is Egypt. With access to not only the Med, but also fantastic diving in the Red Sea, Egypt is a gem of the north African coast that has seen more luxury yacht charters flocking to her shores.
One of the jewels of the Mediterranean, France has a long history of yacht and boat charters. Especially predominant here are luxury yachts and mega yachts cruising the many waters and historical ports that reside here. With opulence at every turn, France is a charter destination that gives you access to numerous cities, plenty of beaches, gourmet food and excellent buzz.
Gibraltar, also known as the “The Rock” is one of the few Mediterranean countries located in the midst of the sea, surrounded by water. With plenty to see both on water, and on land, Gibraltar is a British overseas territory located very close to Spain and the entry point to the Mediterranean Sea.
With home to nearly 6,000 islands, Greece is a yacht charter haven. With so many islands to discover – many within a short cruise of each other – you might find it comfortable booking a charter onboard a sailing yacht or motor yacht. Both have their benefits – sailboats allow you to gently cruise from one spot to the next; while a high-powered motor yacht can get you there slightly quicker.
Sitting in the southernmost point of the Mediterranean Sea, Israel may not be the first place you think of when discussing Mediterranean countries. However, Israel offers beautiful beaches for sunbathing, coral reefs for snorkeling, and stunning blue waters to cruise across.
Soaked in history, sunshine, culture, amazing food and wine, Italy is made for those looking to enjoy a romantic yacht charter across the Mediterranean Sea. With multiple ports within easy range of each other, you can book a yacht or boat charter in Italy and take in a multitude of ports along the way.
Search yachts and boats for charter in the most popular areas of Italy including: Southern Italy yacht charters; Italian Riveria yacht charters; boat and yacht charters in Eastern Italy; and Western Italy boat and yacht charters.
Located on the western tip of Asia, with Cyprus just across the horizon, Lebanon is a budding luxury yachting charter scene thanks to a number of new facilities for yachts when visiting, and plenty of undisturbed mooring options away from the busier Mediterranean countries on our list.
Located just south of Crete, Libya has been rising through the ranks of superyacht cruising spots in the Mediterranean over the last few years. With easy access from across Europe, yachting enthusiasts are embracing Libya’s wide swathes of beaches and quiet cruising grounds.
A long-heralded superyacht mecca, Malta is an archipelago with an abundance of UNESCO World Heritage Sites, breathtaking architecture, temperate climates, excellent diving and beautiful beaches and grottoes.
Undoubtedly the superyacht mecca of the Mediterranean, Monaco holds all the glitz and glamor you’ve read about, but so much more as well. Aside from the glitterati, fine dining options, buzzing nightlife and luxury amenities, Monaco also benefits from easy access to other locations in the south of France and beyond. Enjoy warm waters, bustling ports and excellent shopping in Monaco.
A growing hub for luxury yachts in the eastern Mediterranean, Montenegro features a rugged coastline that tumbles down into deep blue waters. Wild vegetation and Medieval cities combine to create an alluring stop in the Med. Popular ports include Kotor and even cruising into neighboring Croatia for those looking to tick two Mediterranean countries off their bucket list. Explore other popular yachting destinations along the Adriatic Sea.
We can’t touch upon those Mediterranean countries in north Africa without exploring Morocco. Brimming with historical landmarks, cultural wonders and plenty of romantic cities to explore, Morocco offers the opportunity to step back in time, into a different world. Fragrant spices and bustling markets make way to beautiful ports and excellent cruising grounds.
Croatia’s neighbor to the north, Slovenia shares many similarities with this part of the Mediterranean and Adriatic Seas. Sailboats and catamaran yachts are very popular here thanks to the gentle seas and numerous ports within close proximity to each other.
Beloved by yachts and boats for years, Spain offers an exciting mainland with Barcelona and Madrid available to explore, with a number of major islands as well. These include Mallorca, Menorca, and Ibiza on the Mediterranean side. Whether you’re interested in busy city life with shopping and dining options, along with cultural museums and activities, or want to charter your yacht from one sleepy village along the coast to the next, Spain has it all.
Wrapping around the coast, just south of Turkey and the Turquoise Coast, lies Syria. While it may not be as popular as other locations for yacht charters, it does have a beautiful coastline to see. Bursting with history and architecture, Syria is slowly emerging from years of civil war that made tourism here relatively obsolete.
With Italy just a stone’s throw from her northern shores, Tunisia beckons you to discover the northern most tip of Africa. Expect to find sandy beaches, glamorous ports, and remnants of bygone eras. Many flock to Tunisia to enjoy a view of the Mediterranean from the opposite side and embrace the warm people and culture that abounds here.
The Turkish Coast has seen a huge uptick in boats and yachts visiting the region in recent years. With a large coastline and mix of east and west cultures, food and history, many enjoy traveling a little outside the beaten track and discovering a new side of the Mediterranean.
How to Charter a Yacht in the Mediterranean – Private Yacht Charter Mediterranean
New to the yacht charter scene? YATCO can help guide you throughout the whole process. Before deciding on where and when you’d like to go, read our “How to Charter a Yacht Guide” to learn more about chartering a yacht, including a very detailed checklist!
- Motor Yacht Charter in the Mediterranean: Chartering a motor yacht is for those who enjoy getting from one port to the next without wasting any time. Motor yachts are those vessels 79ft and over and will come with a plethora of water toys and decks to play with and explore.
Popular Motor Yacht Charters
- Small Yacht Charter in the Mediterranean: Chartering a small yacht in some of these Mediterranean countries is ideal since it will allow you better access to shallow bays. Small yachts have smaller “drafts” which mean they don’t need deep water to anchor in. Small yachts will usually come with some water toys but refers to yachts 78ft and smaller.
Popular Small Charter Yachts
- Superyacht Charter in the Mediterranean: A haven for superyachts, the Mediterranean offers no shortage of superyachts to see and be seen on. Superyachts are vessels 100ft and above decorated and designed with luxury and opulence in mind. Similar to motor yachts, they will have plenty of water toys to play with, large interior spaces for sleeping and dining, and multiple decks to catch the sun.
Popular Superyacht Charters
- Sailboat & Sailing Yacht Charter in the Mediterranean: Sailboat and sailing yacht charters are very popular across the Mediterranean thanks to favorable winds and seas, and the ability to gently sail from one island or port to another. You’ll see a large number of sailboats and sailing yachts in particular in places like Greece and Croatia.
Popular Sailboat & Sailing Yacht Charters
Interesting Facts About the Mediterranean Sea
What capital cities are located on the Mediterranean coast?
There are eight capital cities that are located along the Mediterranean coast. These include:
- Athens (Greece)
- Algiers (Algeria)
- Beirut (Lebanon)
- Rome (Italy)
- Tripoli (Libya)
- Tunis (Tunisia)
- Valletta (Malta)
- Vatican City
Which country has the longest Mediterranean coastline?
There are a few Mediterranean countries that benefit from long coastlines. However, the country with the longest coastline touching the Mediterranean Sea is Greece, with a whopping 8,500 miles of coastline along the Mediterranean Sea.
What is the largest island in the Mediterranean Sea?
With over 40 islands spread across the Mediterranean Sea, you might be wondering which one is the biggest. The largest island in the Mediterranean is Sicily – this Italian island sits south of the mainland and measures nearly 10,000 square meters in size.
What is the most popular Mediterranean Food?
There are a number of delicious foods that come to mind when you think of the Mediterranean. Without a doubt, some of the most popular Mediterranean foods include olives (and olive oil), fish, cheese, meat, pasta and bread.
YATCO Yacht Buying and Charter Guides
- Mediterranean Sea Boating & Yachting Guide: Considering a boat or yacht charter across the Mediterranean? YATCO published a detailed Guide on Boating and Yachting in the Mediterranean to help you learn a bit more about this popular region. Learn more in the guide about the Mediterranean countries, cities to visit, interesting facts and more.
- Part 1: Explore 22 Mediterranean countries on your next yacht charter, spanning Europe, Africa, and Asia
- Part 2: Discover enchanting Mediterranean islands, from Spain to Greece’s Santorini
- Part 3: Discover the diverse cities on the Mediterranean Sea, with influences from Europe, Africa, and Asia. Uncover the rich tapestry of cultures.
- Part 4: Embark on an unforgettable yacht journey, exploring the finest Mediterranean destinations from East to West and beyond!
- Private Yacht Charter Guide: To start your yacht charter experience off on the right foot, check out YATCO’s Private Yacht Charter Guide to learn more about what’s included in a luxury yacht charter, and what costs you can expect to pay.
- Charter Yacht Provisioning Guide: Not sure what provisioning is and what it means on your yacht charter? This is a term you will come across a number of times when booking your first yacht charter. Advanced Food and Provisioning Allowance is the money you pay that goes toward your food and drinks while onboard. Read more about it in YATCO’s Charter Yacht Provisioning Guide.
- Luxury Yacht Charter Turkey Guide: Turkey continues to grow in popularity for boat and yachts charterers. A large coastline, superyacht facilities, blending of cultures and foods – all give way to an excellent new yacht charter destination. Read more in our Luxury Yacht Charter Turkey Guide.
- Yacht Charter Management Guide: Whether you are booking your first yacht charter, or want to rent your own yacht out for charter, you’ll have to work with a yacht charter management company. As the charterer, you may be put in touch with this team after booking your yacht charter. And as the owner, this is the team who will facilitate and run all of the admin for your yacht charter business. Read more in YATCO’s Yacht Charter Management Guide.
- Yacht Charter Vacations Guide: Yacht charter vacations include access to your own private crew, personal chef, and exploring quiet locations off the beaten path and away from the crowded tourist traps. Learn more in YATCO’s Yacht Charter Vacations Guide.
- Luxury Yacht Charter Guide: Do you already know where you want to go on your luxury yacht charter? Or are you confused by what time of year is best to visit different regions? Our Luxury Yacht Charter Guide helps explain costs and what yacht charters are like in different areas of the world.
- Yacht Charter Cost Guide: Perhaps one of the first things you’ll have to wrap your head around when it comes to booking a luxury yacht charter is the costs. Yachts will always be listed with a “base price” for charter, with additional extras charged on top of this. But don’t worry, you will still pay for everything ahead of time and work out an “all inclusive” cost with your yacht charter broker. We’ve explained everything in our Yacht Charter Cost Guide.
- Yacht Tender & Toys Guide: Now for the fun stuff! Booking a luxury yacht rental means you also have access to the wide range of yacht toys onboard! From water slides, to jet skis, to paddleboards and a tender to waterski or escape onto land, there are a number of items ready and available for you. Learn more in YATCO’s Yacht Tender and Toys Guide.
- Best Restaurants in Capri Guide: You will be spoiled during your luxury yacht charter, especially by the food prepared by your private chef! However, sometimes you may want to pull into port and explore some of the authentic dining options on land. We’ve created a Guide to the Best Restaurants in Capri to give you the ultimate dining list in this popular yachting destination.
- Liveaboard Boat Buying Guide: You might find chartering a yacht makes you fall in love with the lifestyle of life onboard a yacht or boat. Making the move to live onboard your yacht full time isn’t for everyone, but it has become increasingly popular in recent years. Learn more in YATCO’s Liveaboard Boat Buying Guide.
- Ocean Going Yacht Buying Guide: If you think yacht charters are fun, what about a yacht that can take you to really far-flung places? While smaller boats can cross the ocean, you’ll want to look at larger models if it’s your goal to sail the seven seas with your boat. Check out our Ocean Going Yacht Buying Guide to learn more about safely crossing the ocean with your yacht.
- Mega Yacht Buying Guide: Mega yachts usually refer to those vessels 79ft and above; with some mega yachts (or giga yachts) now measuring nearly 600ft in length! With such a big purchase, you’ll want to make sure you’re armed with the best tips and advice possible. Start the process with our Mega Yacht Buying Guide.
- Explorer Yacht Buying Guide: What if you want to take your yacht further than the usual yachting destinations or even explore lands undiscovered? For that, you’ll need an explorer or expedition yacht. These yachts are usually built with high-grade materials, some even built for ice-class expeditions! Discover more in YATCO’s Explorer Yacht Buying Guide.
With so many Mediterranean countries to discover, you can spend a lifetime booking yacht charters in the region, and still not uncover them all. We hope this guide has helped elaborate a bit on the many countries that call this region home and start ticking them off your bucket list.
Subscribe to YATCO’s weekly newsletter to stay up to date on all the latest industry trends and tips.