Considering a luxury yacht charter for your vacation this year? A private yacht charter is guaranteed to be unlike any holiday you’ve ever taken – complete privacy, an attentive crew catering to your every need, access to some of the most unspoiled and untouched locations – all away from the crowds, are just a few reasons why people love chartering a luxury yacht. If you’re curious about taking a luxury yacht charter, read on for more information.
- What is a luxury yacht charter?
- How much is a luxury yacht charter?
- What does a romantic honeymoon yacht charter for couples cost?
- How much does it cost to charter a luxury yacht with pool?
- What luxury yacht rentals in the Caribbean are available?
- How much does it cost to charter a yacht in the Virgin Islands?
- How much is it to charter a luxury yacht in Europe?
- What is a long term yacht rental?
- What is the max number of guests on a yacht?
- Is sailing in Belize on a charter yacht safe?
- YATCO Yacht Charter Guides
What is a luxury yacht charter?
A luxury yacht charter is when you book a private luxury yacht and have access to the whole vessel for just you, your guests and your private yacht crew.
Unlike a cruise, the only people onboard are those you know and book the trip with. In addition, you have access to the entire yacht crew services and their expertise, including a yacht captain, private chef, stewardess and more, depending on the size of the luxury yacht. You also have the luxury of customizing your itinerary with the captain, using any and all water toys, and truly creating the vacation of your dreams.
How much is a luxury yacht charter?
All luxury yacht charter fees will have a “base price” listed as the cost of the yacht per week. This base price is just what it costs to rent the yacht and crew for the week. All extras – Advanced Provisioning Allowance (APA) is your food and drink allotment, the taxes to charter for the country you’ll be in, the fuel charges and any other fees related to the country you’re chartering in will be added onto this. We usually recommend factoring in 50 – 55% of the base price of the yacht charter to get a better idea of total costs. So, for a base charter price of $100,000 a week, you’ll be looking at around $150,000 – $155,000 for the week all inclusive.
Luxury yacht rental fees will vary based on a few factors:
- Location – Certain locations will inevitably cost more simply because there is more demand. A luxury yacht charter in the French Riviera will likely cost you more than one in the Great Lakes, although this may not always be the case. Certain obscure locations that may not have as much inventory may cost more simply because there is high demand for the low stock.
- Length of Yacht – How large is the party that will be chartering the yacht with you? If you’ll be requiring a 200ft yacht for the week, this will naturally cost more than if you only need an 80ft yacht for you and a small number of guests.
- Time of Year – Peak season will always cost more on a luxury yacht charter — as with most vacations. Most yachts will offer slightly reduced base rates off the weekly charter rate if you are booking before or after the peak season (depending on the region you are in).
- Duration – Most larger yacht charters will charge based on a weekly rate. If they offer shorter charter lengths, this will be prorated from the weekly rate. So, if you are looking to book for under one week, your rate could be lower; while if you want to book for two weeks or more, the rate will double and so on. Sometimes, owners may offer a slightly reduced rate if you are booking for an extended period of time (a guaranteed full calendar is always better than the yacht sitting empty some weeks).
- Relocation Fees – Sometimes the exact yacht you want might not be in the port you want to leave from, and you’ll be charged to move the yacht. This is called a “relocation fee” and is quoted before you book the yacht, so you know what to expect. As an example, if you want a certain yacht to pick you up in Nassau, Bahamas, but the yacht’s home port is Miami, you will have to pay for the yacht to get there and back. This may be around $5,000 in total depending on how far the yacht must travel so it can be a significant cost if you’re trying to keep to a budget.
- Extras – Aside from the APA and extras mentioned above, there are some extra items that can also increase the price of your yacht charter. If you are looking at premium liquors or wines, this can increase your APA slightly. If you plan to use the tender and water toys extensively (more than the average charter guests), you could be paying more in fuel. If the yacht comes with a helicopter, using this can add on additional fees. If you want to have a diving or surfing instructor stay on board with you, (the list goes on) this will also cost above and beyond the fees stated.
What does a romantic honeymoon yacht charter for couples cost?
There is no greater place to enjoy a romantic honeymoon than from the bow of your own superyacht. As you are paying to rent the entire yacht, you don’t pay a per person or per cabin rate so the same weekly charter rates will apply. That being said, if there are only two of you on the yacht, you may be fine to charter a smaller yacht since you won’t need a ton of space to accommodate any other people. You may be looking at yacht charter rates closer to $40,000 for the week or opt to do a shorter yacht charter and get a prorated cost for that.
How much does it cost to charter a luxury yacht with pool?
There is no hard and fast rule on what it costs to charter a luxury yacht with a pool. However, you will be looking at yachts around a minimum of 80-90ft that will have a spa or jacuzzi on the top deck. So based on this, you’ll be looking at base rates for 90ft yachts which can be anywhere from $50,000 – $80,000 for the week. Bear in mind these are the “base rates” and do not include the extras we mentioned above.
If you want a proper swimming pool, you’ll be looking at yachts that are at least 150ft, so the weekly base rates of these charters could start around $150,000 minimum and go from there.
What luxury yacht rentals in the Caribbean are available?
To get your luxury yacht rental in the Caribbean search underway, please check out the listings on YATCO.com. If you don’t see what you’re looking for, please contact one of our reputable brokers who can listen to your needs and requirements and help to find you the perfect yacht for your trip.
How much does it cost to charter a yacht in the Virgin Islands?
Similar to the other quotes listed, a yacht charter in the Virgin Islands will cost similar to other popular yachting destinations. Depending on the size of the yacht, the length of the charter, and the time of year, a 90ft yacht charter in the Virgin Islands could cost anywhere between $50,000 and $80,000 a week.
The Virgin Islands has a charter VAT of only 12% which is lower than most in the Mediterranean so this will work in your favor if you charter here.
How much is it to charter a luxury yacht in Europe?
A luxury yacht charter in Europe encompasses a lot of regions, charter rules and VAT charges. Europe has some of the higher VAT rates which can be as high as 24% in Greece, although most countries will offer tax breaks when cruising in international waters. As the rates mentioned above, chartering a luxury yacht charter in Europe will likely start at the lower end of $50,000 but can increase exponentially as these are some of the most popular charter destinations, with some of the most luxurious and opulent yachts available to charter here.
What is a long term yacht rental?
A long-term yacht rental is usually any yacht charter that goes above and beyond one month.
Some people will choose to take an extended break so they can really experience a destination, or they know they want to cover a lot of ground with their yacht. As mentioned above, sometimes yachts may offer a slight price reduction if you are booking for a much longer stay since they know the yacht is booked and there is less turnover for the crew to worry about. With more and more people working remotely and wanting to see the world with family and friends, this is becoming increasingly more popular.
What is the max number of guests on a yacht?
Regardless of the size of the yacht you plan to charter, most will have a maximum of 12 guests allowed for overnight stays. This is down to the SOLAS (Safety of Life at Sea) Convention set out by the International Maritime Organization (IMO). There are yachts that allow more guests than this (up to 36, in fact), but they are now classified as “passenger ships” and have to comply with a new set of rules laid out under the Passenger Yacht Code (PYC).
The reason there are less yachts that offer over 12 guests is usually down to cost. To ensure your yacht meets all of the requirements of the PYC, you’ll need to make numerous safety upgrades to the yacht, have an increased amount of yacht crew (and crew quarters), greater interiors and exteriors to upkeep, and even results in the loss of some of their living space onboard if they need to make room for more crew and guest cabins and safety upgrades.
How many people can sleep on a 100-foot yacht?
How many guests can sleep on a 100ft yacht will depend on the size of the cabins and layout of the private yacht. While you may find some 100ft yachts with space for 12 guests, these cabins will be smaller, with one or two having tiny twin beds or even a pullman for children to sleep in. You’re more likely to get a yacht with maximum space for eight to 10 guests.
How many cabins are there on a 90-foot yacht?
Similar to the above, in the 90ft yacht charter range, you’ll be looking at around three to four cabins on average for you and your guests to sleep in.
How many crew members for a 90-foot yacht charter?
A 90ft yacht charter might have anywhere from two to five crewmembers depending on requirements. On average though, a 90ft yacht will usually have four crew members to help make your yacht charter unforgettable.
Is sailing in Belize on a charter yacht safe?
Sailing in Belize on a yacht charter is generally safe. Like most places in the world, there are incidents of petty crime and it’s recommended to keep your wits about you when visiting towns and ports. However, Belize is a stunning country, that is greatly appreciated when seen by yacht. If you plan to spend most of your time on board or on Belize’s beautiful coastlines, you’ll mostly be concerned with the large amount of beautiful coral reefs that are recommended to exercise caution when navigating around.
Chartering a luxury yacht offers a truly unique, private and special vacation option for you and your guests. From chartering a yacht in the cultural melting pot of the Mediterranean, to the sun-soaked beaches of the Caribbean, there is the perfect charter yacht waiting for you. Start your charter yacht search with YATCO or search through the many destinations to help inspire you.
YATCO Yacht Charter Guides
- Mediterranean Sea Boating & Yachting Guide: For a complete overview of the Mediterranean Sea and what makes this region so unique to yachts and boats, YATCO created a Mediterranean Sea Boating & Yachting Guide 2023.
- Part 1: Explore 22 Mediterranean countries on your next yacht charter, spanning Europe, Africa, and Asia.
- Part 2: Discover enchanting Mediterranean islands, from Spain to Greece’s Santorini.
- Private Yacht Charter Guide: Learn more about what’s included in a private yacht charter with YATCO’s Private Yacht Charter Guide. From costs to destinations, we have you covered.
- Charter Yacht Provisioning Guide: You’ll likely come across the term “provisioning” a lot when you are booking a private yacht charter. Advanced Food and Provisioning Allowance is the money you pay that goes toward your food and drinks while onboard. This is on top of the base price to rent the yacht that you might see advertised on yacht charter websites. Read more about it in YATCO’s Charter Yacht Provisioning Guide.
- Luxury Yacht Charter Turkey Guide: Turkey began to emerge as a luxury yacht charter destination a few years ago and it only continues to grow in popularity. Thanks to an extensive coastline, excellent superyacht marinas and facilities, and many historical gems to discover, learn more in our Luxury Yacht Charter Turkey Guide.
- Yacht Charter Management Guide: What is a yacht charter management company and why are they important? When you book a luxury yacht rental, you will likely work with a charter yacht broker, and then be introduced to the yacht charter management company. This is the team that makes sure the charter business of the yacht runs well and smoothly for all. Read more in YATCO’s Yacht Charter Management Guide.
- Yacht Charter Vacations Guide: With access to remote locations, a private chef, your attentive crew, and more water toys than you ever dreamed of, a yacht charter vacation is unlike any other trip you’ve taken. Learn about the ins and outs of a Yacht Charter Vacation in our Guide.
- Yacht Charter Cost Guide: One of the biggest questions asked when it comes to yacht charters is – what’s included, and can I get an all-inclusive price? You will notice that yachts will always be listed with a “base price” for charter, with additional extras charged on top of this. However, your charter broker will work with you to get an all-inclusive price based on all of those extras before you sign a contract. We’ve explained everything in our Yacht Charter Cost Guide.
- Yacht Tender & Toys Guide: For many, one of the big perks of booking a luxury yacht charter is the fact you get access to a number of fun water toys! Whether you are a thrill seeker looking to be towed behind the tender on waterskis, zipping around on the jetski, or prefer a quieter pastime like stand-up paddle boarding to an isolated beach, there are toys for everyone in group onboard. Learn more in YATCO’s Yacht Tender and Toys Guide.
- Best Restaurants in Capri Guide: We know you may want to stay on board every night and enjoy another gourmet meal cooked by your private chef. However, some people do enjoy getting onto land for a meal or two during their yacht charter. A very popular cruising destination is Italy and the isle of Capri. We’ve created a Guide to the Best Restaurants in Capri so you don’t have to waste time searching for the best places to dine while in town.
Please subscribe to the YATCO newsletter to receive the latest yachting news and insights.