Charter yacht vacations are unlike any other vacation you’ve taken. Only on a yacht rental vacation will you get the privacy, attention and luxurious amenities not found anywhere else. Thanks to your attentive crew, the ability to create your own itinerary with the captain and explore places inaccessible on land, all while enjoying gourmet meals prepared by your private chef and staying in the most comfortable accommodations on your floating oasis, means vacation yacht rentals puts you in the VIP spot.
- Can you vacation on a yacht?
- How to charter a yacht for a vacation
- What is the average cost to charter a yacht for a vacation?
- Do yachties get salary plus tips?
- Are family catamaran vacations popular?
- Is a crewed yacht charter in the Caribbean better?
- Can I charter a private sailing Greek Islands vacation?
- How much does it cost to charter a sailboat in the Virgin Islands?
- What is the best time of year to book a sailing yacht charter vacation?
- YATCO Yacht Charter Guides
Can you vacation on a yacht?
Yes, you can book a vacation on a yacht all over the world! Charter yacht vacations have only grown in popularity in recent months thanks to the privacy and security you can only access when enjoying a yacht charter. With access to a private crew, a vacation on a yacht means you won’t have to lift a finger for the entirety of your vacation — you can simply sit back and enjoy the many beautiful views as your captain gently cruises from one stunning locale to the next.
How to charter a yacht for a vacation
If you are just beginning to research and look into a yacht charter vacation, it’s always a good idea to contact your trusted and reputable yacht broker for guidance. If you don’t already know a charter yacht broker, please search for one here.
The way vacation yacht rentals usually work is you or your broker will start your search in the destination of your choice and narrow down the search based on how many people are going to be chartering with you, and any other requirements you might have. Upon selecting a vacation yacht rental, you’ll sign a contract, and usually pay 50% of the cost upon signing, and the remaining 50% about a month before your departure date.
What is the average cost to charter a yacht for a vacation?
With so many yachts available to charter and something for every group size, it’s hard to give one average price.
However, if you’re looking at a yacht charter vacation for six people, you could be looking at the lower-end cost of around $40,000 for a week, all the way up to over $1 million.
Here are a few things that will help determine the cost of your charter yacht:
- Size – A yacht rental vacation is when you rent out the entirety of the yacht. So, whether you are two people or 12, booking a yacht that can fit up to 12 people, you will still pay the full price. So smaller groups will usually book smaller yachts with less cabins, while larger groups will see their prices increase.
- Location – Certain locations in the world will cost more since they are extremely popular for yacht charter vacations, and the demand can drive prices up.
- Time of Year – Peak seasons will always cost more to book a yacht rental vacation. Whether you’re looking at summer in the Mediterranean, or winter in the Caribbean, these yacht charters will carry higher price tags than if you booked on the shoulder seasons.
- Budget – Your charter broker will start your yacht charter vacation search based on the budget range you give them. So, if you want something under $100,000 for the week, let them know as soon as possible so they are only sending you the most suitable options.
Something to bear in mind when looking up options yourself is that all yacht charters are usually listed by their “base price” only. This only covers the cost of the yacht rental, and the crew onboard.
We recommend budgeting an extra 50 – 55% of the base price to work out your overall price for a weekly yacht rental vacation. These extras cover your Advanced Provisioning Allowance (APA), local taxes where you’re cruising, fuel, and optional crew tip.
So, if you found a yacht for $50,000 for the week, you’ll be looking at a total cost of $75,000 – $77,500 for your week-long yacht charter.
Do yachties get salary plus tips?
Yes, yacht crew members will be paid a base salary, plus tips from their charter guests. While it isn’t a firm rule to tip, it is widely encouraged and assumed that most charter parties will tip around 10 – 20% of the yacht charter price, to their crew. Crew members work long hours, making sure your yacht charter vacation is everything you could want and more. They work tirelessly only for you and your guests while you are onboard. Getting to know your likes and dislikes, creating gastronomic delights, making plans on land for you, or helping to scout unique stops off the beaten track, means they are usually incredibly deserving of a token of appreciation.
Most yachts will offer the option to send your tip as part of your wire transfer when settling the final payment, so you don’t have to worry about carrying a large amount of cash on you. The yacht charter company will then release the tip to your crew on the last day of your charter.
Of course, you can always discuss this with your broker throughout the booking process.
Are family catamaran vacations popular?
Family catamarans make excellent choices for your next charter yacht vacation. With a wide beam, a number of cabins and large aft and fore decks, you’ll have plenty of space for your family to stretch out and enjoy themselves.
However, if you are a larger group, or would prefer a yacht with multiple decks, the ability to store water toys, or ample dining and socializing areas, a motor yacht may be more your style.
Is a crewed yacht charter in the Caribbean better?
A crewed yacht charter in the Caribbean is a fantastic way to see some of the region’s most alluring attributes – islands and the beautiful marine environment beneath the surface. If you’re wondering if a crewed yacht charter in the Caribbean is better than staying in a resort or villa, then it depends on what you’d like to accomplish on your vacation.
- Do you want to stay in one place, and just soak in the sunshine and amenities of your resort?
- Or do you want to wake up in a new port or anchorage every morning?
- Jump off the bow whenever you feel like it to take a look at the sea life beneath you?
- Or take out a jet ski and ride over the waves and find a secluded beach for lunch?
- Allow your captain to create a beautiful itinerary for you and reach snorkeling sites no one else knows about?
- Then return to the yacht where your private chef has created a gastronomic feast for the senses?
A crewed yacht charter vacation in the Caribbean can be everything you want it to be and more.
Can I charter a private sailing Greek Islands vacation?
Yes, you can absolutely charter a private sailing yacht in the Greek Islands! In fact, it’s a great way to see the many islands that Greece calls home (6,000 in fact!). A sailing yacht rental vacation allows you to slowly cruise from one Greek port to the next, opting to stay longer in the ones you’d love to explore, or pull anchor and check out the next destination.
The island chains of the Cyclades, Ionian, and Dodecanese are especially popular for yacht charters as they all include temperate climates, short islands within cruising distance of each other, excellent food, history, and culture on land, while stretches of beautiful beaches and warm water to play in.
How much does it cost to charter a sailboat in the Virgin Islands?
The cost of a yacht charter vacation in the Virgin Islands will depend on a few things. What size yacht do you need? How long do you want to go for? What time of year are you booking – will it be during peak yacht charter season?
What is the best time of year to book a sailing yacht charter vacation?
The best time of year to book a sailing yacht charter vacation depends on the location you’d like to explore.
If you’re in the Northern Hemisphere, you’ll want to save your yacht charter for the summer months in New England and Europe and the Mediterranean, while heading to the Caribbean for the winter months.
For the Southern Hemisphere, you can usually charter year-round, but the exact regions of places like Indonesia and Australia will change based on the time of year so ask your charter broker for their recommendations to enjoy the best conditions for your charter.
As an example, an 80ft yacht charter in the Virgin Islands could cost anywhere between $50,000 and $80,000 a week. However, much smaller yachts with less crew could cost less, and larger yachts will cost significantly more.
A yacht charter vacation opens the world for your own exploration. A charter yacht vacation takes the best of every other vacation – private villa, adventure holiday, cruise, diving vacation, cultural city tour, Michelin-starred restaurants – and lays it all out in front of you in one place. To begin your yacht rental vacation search, please click here. If you want to explore the many destinations to start your vacation yacht rental from, check out our top recommendations here.
YATCO Yacht Charter Guides
- Mediterranean Sea Boating & Yachting Guide: For a complete overview of the Mediterranean Sea and what makes this region so unique to yachts and boats, YATCO created a Mediterranean Sea Boating & Yachting Guide 2023.
- Part 1: Explore 22 Mediterranean countries on your next yacht charter, spanning Europe, Africa, and Asia.
- Part 2: Discover enchanting Mediterranean islands, from Spain to Greece’s Santorini.
- Private Yacht Charter Guide: Learn more about what’s included in a private yacht charter with YATCO’s Private Yacht Charter Guide. From costs to destinations, we have you covered.
- Charter Yacht Provisioning Guide: You’ll likely come across the term “provisioning” a lot when you are booking a private yacht charter. Advanced Food and Provisioning Allowance is the money you pay that goes toward your food and drinks while onboard. This is on top of the base price to rent the yacht that you might see advertised on yacht charter websites. Read more about it in YATCO’s Charter Yacht Provisioning Guide.
- Luxury Yacht Charter Turkey Guide: Turkey began to emerge as a luxury yacht charter destination a few years ago and it only continues to grow in popularity. Thanks to an extensive coastline, excellent superyacht marinas and facilities, and many historical gems to discover, learn more in our Luxury Yacht Charter Turkey Guide.
- Yacht Charter Management Guide: What is a yacht charter management company and why are they important? When you book a luxury yacht rental, you will likely work with a charter yacht broker, and then be introduced to the yacht charter management company. This is the team that makes sure the charter business of the yacht runs well and smoothly for all. Read more in YATCO’s Yacht Charter Management Guide.
- Luxury Yacht Charter Guide: From what time of year is best to visit which destinations, to what costs are included, YATCO wants to make it easier than ever to book your private yacht charter. Explore our Luxury Yacht Charter guide for more information.
- Yacht Charter Cost Guide: One of the biggest questions asked when it comes to yacht charters is – what’s included, and can I get an all-inclusive price? You will notice that yachts will always be listed with a “base price” for charter, with additional extras charged on top of this. However, your charter broker will work with you to get an all-inclusive price based on all of those extras before you sign a contract. We’ve explained everything in our Yacht Charter Cost Guide.
- Yacht Tender & Toys Guide: For many, one of the big perks of booking a luxury yacht charter is the fact you get access to a number of fun water toys! Whether you are a thrill seeker looking to be towed behind the tender on waterskis, zipping around on the jetski, or prefer a quieter pastime like stand-up paddle boarding to an isolated beach, there are toys for everyone in group onboard. Learn more in YATCO’s Yacht Tender and Toys Guide.
- Best Restaurants in Capri Guide: We know you may want to stay on board every night and enjoy another gourmet meal cooked by your private chef. However, some people do enjoy getting onto land for a meal or two during their yacht charter. A very popular cruising destination is Italy and the isle of Capri. We’ve created a Guide to the Best Restaurants in Capri so you don’t have to waste time searching for the best places to dine while in town.
Please subscribe to the YATCO newsletter to stay up to date on the latest yachting news and insights.