Considering the Mediterranean Sea was created over six million years ago and has seen a number of empires rise and fall during this time, it’s no surprise this part of the world is filled with rich history, deep traditions, and has created a melting pot of cultures and people across her 22 countries. These countries include those in Europe, Africa and Asia, all intrinsically linked by the Mediterranean Sea.
- What is the origin of the Mediterranean?
- What makes the Mediterranean Sea notable in history?
- Why is the Mediterranean so famous?
- What ancient civilizations lived in the Mediterranean?
- The Mediterranean Sea as a Yacht Charter Hub Today
- Yacht Charter & Yachts for Sale Guides
What is the origin of the Mediterranean?
The Mediterranean Sea was created about six million years ago during the “Zanclean flood” which caused a mega flood from the Atlantic Ocean to pour over the western mountain ranges of Europe and create the Mediterranean Sea as we know it today.
What makes the Mediterranean Sea notable in history?
Not only as a means of transport, but the Mediterranean Sea was also and remains so notable to the countries surrounding it, due to the connection offered.
Whether it be historical transport, trade, or the cultural diversity and exchanges offered, the Mediterranean Sea has the unique location of connecting a number of countries in a relatively small area when compared to larger bodies of water.
Why is the Mediterranean so famous?
Today we may know the Mediterranean as a popular yacht charter destination or sunny escape for Europeans and those around the world. However, long before the superyacht set came to the Mediterranean, this region was known for a multitude of other things.
Mediterranean history weaves a rich tapestry across countries, continents, nationalities and religions. Each country brings something unique to the area, yet all are united by this vast body of water.
From the Egyptian, Phoenician, Greek and Roman Empires, to the high tourism industry and trade routes still found here, Mediterranean history continues to evolve and thrive today.
What ancient civilizations lived in the Mediterranean?
Throughout Mediterranean history, a number of ancient civilizations have called this region home. Some of the notable ancient civilizations throughout Mediterranean history include:
Who were the first people in the Mediterranean?
While many used to believe the earliest people in the Mediterranean were those from the ancient civilizations above, recent discoveries have shown that Neanderthals and earlier humans may have inhabited parts of the Mediterranean over 200,000 years ago; beating the other residents by tens of thousands of years.
What did the Romans call the Mediterranean?
The Mediterranean Sea has been called many things throughout history by its various inhabitants. The Romans referred to the Mediterranean as “Mare Nostrum” or “Our Sea” in English.
What did the ancient people call the Mediterranean?
Aside from the Romans, the Mediterranean Sea was called a few different things by the ancient civilizations that resided here.
The “White Sea” or “Akdeniz” for the Turks, and the “Great Sea” or “Yam Gadol” for the Jewish people. While in English, the Mediterranean Sea also means “Between the Lands” which is fitting for a body of water that connects so many different countries along her shorelines.
The Mediterranean Sea as a Yacht Charter Hub Today
While rich in history, the Mediterranean Sea today is known as a veritable playground for yachts and tourists alike. With plenty of easy cruising, ports close to each other, hundreds of islands dotted around, and so many countries, foods, and cultures to take in, it’s no wonder interest in the Mediterranean continues to grow as a yacht charter destination.
With stunning destinations like Croatia and Greece in the Eastern Mediterranean, to summer hot spots like France, Spain and Italy in the Western Mediterranean, you’ll have no shortage of destinations, or yachts to pick from when booking a private yacht vacation here.
A Yacht Charter in the Mediterranean or Caribbean?
When trying to decide between a yacht charter in the Mediterranean, or a yacht rental in the Caribbean, it’s important to note that both regions have something to offer.
The Mediterranean is popular in the summer months when the region comes alive. Temperatures are fantastic, cultural and historical attractions and venues are all open, the people, the food and the vibe are addictive.
It can be especially great for those looking to visit a few countries on one yacht charter in close proximity to one another, or to even spend the next few years ticking destinations off your summer bucket list one at a time.
The Caribbean, however, is the place to be in the winter months. Many plan their yacht charters to the sunny Caribbean islands to escape the harsh winters of the north, and get a little sunshine and heavy dose of Vitamin D. From Jamaica and the Turks and Caicos, to the Windward Islands and Leeward Islands, each stop offers its own cultural experience and up-close encounters with wildlife both in the water, and on land.
So, instead of choosing the Mediterranean or the Caribbean for your next vacation, why not make plans for a winter yacht charter in the Caribbean, and a summer yacht rental in the Mediterranean?
Yacht Charter & Yachts for Sale Guides
- Mediterranean Sea Yachting & Charter Guide: We’ve only just begun to touch on the Mediterranean cities and sights you’ll discover. For a complete overview of the region, explore more in YATCO’s Mediterranean Sea Boating and Yachting Guide.
- Part 1: Explore 22 Mediterranean countries on your next yacht charter, spanning Europe, Africa, and Asia
- Part 2: Discover enchanting Mediterranean islands, from Spain to Greece’s Santorini
- Part 3: Discover the diverse cities on the Mediterranean Sea, with influences from Europe, Africa, and Asia. Uncover the rich tapestry of cultures.
- Part 4: Embark on an unforgettable yacht journey, exploring the finest Mediterranean destinations from East to West and beyond!
- Part 5: Dive into Mediterranean history, shaped over six million years. Explore the intriguing cultures and traditions. Uncover its tales now!
- Part 6: Embark on an enchanting journey through the wonders of the Mediterranean, from the rugged Amalfi Coast to the pristine Greek Islands – explore its diverse landscapes and uncover fascinating facts. Start your adventure today!
- Private Yacht Charter Guide: Learn more about what’s included in a private yacht charter with YATCO’s Private Yacht Charter Guide. From costs to destinations, we have you covered.
- Charter Yacht Provisioning Guide: You’ll likely come across the term “provisioning” a lot when you are booking a private yacht charter. Advanced Food and Provisioning Allowance is the money you pay that goes toward your food and drinks while onboard. This is on top of the base price to rent the yacht that you might see advertised on yacht charter websites. Read more about it in YATCO’s Charter Yacht Provisioning Guide.
- Luxury Yacht Charter Turkey Guide: Turkey began to emerge as a luxury yacht charter destination a few years ago and it only continues to grow in popularity. Thanks to an extensive coastline, excellent superyacht marinas and facilities, and many historical gems to discover, learn more in our Luxury Yacht Charter Turkey Guide.
- Yacht Charter Management Guide: What is a yacht charter management company and why are they important? When you book a luxury yacht rental, you will likely work with a charter yacht broker, and then be introduced to the yacht charter management company. This is the team that makes sure the charter business of the yacht runs well and smoothly for all. Read more in YATCO’s Yacht Charter Management Guide.
- Yacht Charter Vacations Guide: With access to remote locations, a private chef, your attentive crew, and more water toys than you ever dreamed of, a yacht charter vacation is unlike any other trip you’ve taken. Learn about the ins and outs of a Yacht Charter Vacation in our Guide.
- Luxury Yacht Charter Guide: From what time of year is best to visit which destinations, to what costs are included, YATCO wants to make it easier than ever to book your private yacht charter. Explore our Luxury Yacht Charter guide for more information.
- Yacht Charter Cost Guide: One of the biggest questions asked when it comes to yacht charters is – what’s included, and can I get an all-inclusive price? You will notice that yachts will always be listed with a “base price” for charter, with additional extras charged on top of this. However, your charter broker will work with you to get an all-inclusive price based on all of those extras before you sign a contract. We’ve explained everything in our Yacht Charter Cost Guide.
- Yacht Tender & Toys Guide: For many, one of the big perks of booking a luxury yacht charter is the fact you get access to a number of fun water toys! Whether you are a thrill seeker looking to be towed behind the tender on waterskis, zipping around on the jetski, or prefer a quieter pastime like stand-up paddle boarding to an isolated beach, there are toys for everyone in group onboard. Learn more in YATCO’s Yacht Tender and Toys Guide.
Mediterranean history has spanned centuries and civilizations since its inception six million years ago. A region so steeped in history, with various cultures and historical landmarks makes this a destination many flock to year after year. If you want to start planning your yacht charter to the rich Mediterranean Sea, start your search with YATCO.
Sign up to the YATCO newsletter to get the latest charter insights and destinations directly to your inbox.