From the Spanish islands in the Mediterranean Sea to Greece’s many sun-soaked destinations like Santorini – you’re sure to find many islands in the Mediterranean Sea to fall in love with. Let’s explore some of these islands now.
- Where is the Mediterranean Sea on a map?
- How deep is the Mediterranean Sea?
- How many islands are in the Mediterranean Sea?
- How much to charter a yacht in the Mediterranean?
- YATCO Yacht Buying and Charter Guides
Where is the Mediterranean Sea on a map?
The Mediterranean Sea is located in southern Europe, between northern Africa, and west of Asia. It is nestled in between these continents, surrounded by a multitude of countries, cultures, food, landscapes and history. It’s no wonder people flock to the Mediterranean Sea during the summer months to book a yacht charter and be enchanted by one port to the next.
How deep is the Mediterranean Sea?
The depth of the Mediterranean Sea will vary across its wide landscape. However, the average depth of the Mediterranean Sea is around 4,900ft or 1,500m. For comparison, the Atlantic Ocean has a depth of 10,930ft (3,300m) The Calypso Deep has the deepest area recorded at 3.27miles (5,267m) and is found in the Ionian Sea.
How big is the Mediterranean Sea?
The Mediterranean Sea spans an impressive 2.5 million square kilometers (around 970,000 square miles). Starting at the Strait of Gibraltar, with access to the Atlantic Ocean, over to Red Sea via the Suez Canal, she sits along the border of 22 countries all with their own unique and diverse histories and cultures.
Does the Mediterranean Sea have tides?
The Mediterranean Sea does have tides; however, they are very minimal when compared to those of an ocean. As an example, the tide in the Atlantic Ocean can vary by about one meter depending on the time of day, while the tide in the Mediterranean Sea may only fluctuate around a few centimeters.
How many islands are in the Mediterranean Sea?
There may be over 2,000 islands of some sort in the Mediterranean, however, most agree that around 40 of these Mediterranean islands are significant.
What is the largest island in the Mediterranean?
At nearly 10,000 square miles, Sicily is the largest island in the Mediterranean, followed by fellow Italian island, Sardinia at 9,300 square miles.
What are the five largest islands in the Mediterranean Sea?
In order of largest to smallest, the five largest Mediterranean islands are Sicily, Sardinia, Cyprus, Corsica, and Crete.
What Italian islands are the largest in the Mediterranean area?
Sicily and Sardinia are the largest Italian islands in the Mediterranean Sea by far compared to any other Italian islands.
Which Mediterranean Island is French territory?
Corsica is one of the Mediterranean Sea’s largest islands and happens to be a French territory. Corsica was at one point under Italian rule before being ceded to France at the end of the 1700s. Corsica is a popular yacht charter destination thanks to the combination of beaches and mountains offering a well-rounded vacation option.
How much to charter a yacht in the Mediterranean?
The price to charter a yacht in the Mediterranean Sea will depend on a number of factors.
- Length of Yacht
- Length of Yacht Charter
- Time of Year
- Model of Yacht
- Extras – helicopter, personal submarine, etc.
A good range of yacht charter prices in the Mediterranean islands start at $30,000 and can exceed $1 million for a weeklong stay. When looking at prices online, be advised that the rates listed are the base charter rates and you’ll need to add roughly 50 – 55% of the base rate to get an all-inclusive cost that includes your Advanced Provisioning Allowance (APA), taxes, fuel, and optional tip. So, you’ll want to keep in mind that if your budget is $300,000 for the week, you’ll want to look for a base price of around $150,000.
How much does it cost to sail the Mediterranean Islands?
Sailing yacht charters can sometimes be cheaper than motor yacht charters, especially in places like Croatia and Greece where there are plenty of sailing yacht options to choose from.
On average, you may be looking at rates slightly less than the above, around $20,000 starting prices, but these can also increase to as much as $1 million as with motor yachts.
Is it safe to sail in the Mediterranean?
Yes, on the whole, it’s very safe to sail in the Mediterranean.
However, certain places along the border of Africa and Asia are always good to check in with the local government websites to be aware of any restrictions or warnings when traveling to these locations.
European destinations along the Mediterranean are very safe and very popular among the yacht charter crowd.
YATCO Yacht Buying and Charter Guides
- Mediterranean Sea Boating & Yachting Guide: For a complete overview of the Mediterranean Sea and what makes this region so unique to yachts and boats, YATCO created a Mediterranean Sea Boating & Yachting Guide 2023.
- Part 1: Explore 22 Mediterranean countries on your next yacht charter, spanning Europe, Africa, and Asia
- Part 2: Discover enchanting Mediterranean islands, from Spain to Greece’s Santorini
- Part 3: Discover the diverse cities on the Mediterranean Sea, with influences from Europe, Africa, and Asia. Uncover the rich tapestry of cultures.
- Part 4: Embark on an unforgettable yacht journey, exploring the finest Mediterranean destinations from East to West and beyond!
- Private Yacht Charter Guide: Learn more about what’s included in a private yacht charter with YATCO’s Private Yacht Charter Guide. From costs to destinations, we have you covered.
- Charter Yacht Provisioning Guide: You’ll likely come across the term “provisioning” a lot when you are booking a private yacht charter. Advanced Food and Provisioning Allowance is the money you pay that goes toward your food and drinks while onboard. This is on top of the base price to rent the yacht that you might see advertised on yacht charter websites. Read more about it in YATCO’s Charter Yacht Provisioning Guide.
- Luxury Yacht Charter Turkey Guide: Turkey began to emerge as a luxury yacht charter destination a few years ago and it only continues to grow in popularity. Thanks to an extensive coastline, excellent superyacht marinas and facilities, and many historical gems to discover, learn more in our Luxury Yacht Charter Turkey Guide.
- Yacht Charter Management Guide: What is a yacht charter management company and why are they important? When you book a luxury yacht rental, you will likely work with a charter yacht broker, and then be introduced to the yacht charter management company. This is the team that makes sure the charter business of the yacht runs well and smoothly for all. Read more in YATCO’s Yacht Charter Management Guide.
- Yacht Charter Vacations Guide: With access to remote locations, a private chef, your attentive crew, and more water toys than you ever dreamed of, a yacht charter vacation is unlike any other trip you’ve taken. Learn about the ins and outs of a Yacht Charter Vacation in our Guide.
- Luxury Yacht Charter Guide: From what time of year is best to visit which destinations, to what costs are included, YATCO wants to make it easier than ever to book your private yacht charter. Explore our Luxury Yacht Charter guide for more information.
- Yacht Charter Cost Guide: One of the biggest questions asked when it comes to yacht charters is – what’s included, and can I get an all-inclusive price? You will notice that yachts will always be listed with a “base price” for charter, with additional extras charged on top of this. However, your charter broker will work with you to get an all-inclusive price based on all of those extras before you sign a contract. We’ve explained everything in our Yacht Charter Cost Guide.
- Yacht Tender & Toys Guide: For many, one of the big perks of booking a luxury yacht charter is the fact you get access to a number of fun water toys! Whether you are a thrill seeker looking to be towed behind the tender on waterskis, zipping around on the jetski, or prefer a quieter pastime like stand-up paddle boarding to an isolated beach, there are toys for everyone in group onboard. Learn more in YATCO’s Yacht Tender and Toys Guide.
- Best Restaurants in Capri Guide: We know you may want to stay on board every night and enjoy another gourmet meal cooked by your private chef. However, some people do enjoy getting onto land for a meal or two during their yacht charter. A very popular cruising destination is Italy and the isle of Capri. We’ve created a Guide to the Best Restaurants in Capri so you don’t have to waste time searching for the best places to dine while in town.
- Liveaboard Boat Buying Guide: Maybe you’ve chartered a yacht and it’s planted a bug that you want to purchase your own yacht now. Or maybe you want to take it even further and live onboard permanently. Is that even possible, you wonder? It is, and we created YATCO’s Liveaboard Boat Buying Guide to help you make the transition.
- Ocean Going Yacht Buying Guide: As we discuss the possibilities of chartering luxury yachts – you might be wondering if you can cross the ocean with a yacht? The short answer is yes, of course you can! You just want to be sure you buy a yacht the right size to be able to handle the crossing. YATCO created an Ocean Going Yachting Buying Guide to help you make this decision.
- Mega Yacht Buying Guide: Mega yachts are vessels that are at least 79ft and up, with most people agreeing they start around 100ft. These opulent vessels usually have multiple decks, stunning designs, ample staterooms and a wide selection of toys. Discover more in our Mega Yacht Buying Guide.
- Explorer Yacht Buying Guide: As yachting continues to gain in popularity, so too do the destinations people can go with their yachts. Explorer or expedition yachts have become increasingly popular in recent years thanks to their boundary pushing designs and capabilities. YATCO created an Explorer Yacht Buying Guide to learn more.
Now that you have a better understanding of the Mediterranean Sea and why this is such an excellent cruising ground for boats and yachts, you might want to read more. Curious about which countries are in the Mediterranean Sea? YATCO created an entire guide dedicated to detailing which countries are in the Mediterranean Sea, where to travel by yacht there, and where you can even start the search for your own yacht to purchase. Review YATCO’s Mediterranean Countries Guide.
Subscribe to YATCO’s newsletter to stay up to date on all the latest yachting news and insights.