Year after year, women in yachting have taken a larger and more significant role in the industry. They are emerging as powerful, effective, and efficient – as much as men in yachting, and have gone beyond the role of charter broker. Here, YATCO takes the time to get to know some of these women – whether they are yacht sales brokers, shipyard coordinators or marketing masters. Below, get to know Dominique Gapillout of her own yacht brokerage company, L’Echo Nautique.
Dominique Gapillout, Owner of L’Echo Nautique Yacht Brokerage
What drew you to the yachting world?
“I founded L’Echo Nautique in order to create the ultimate experience for yacht owners and charterers, with personalized service for its clients unlike anything else seen in yachting today. These unmatched yacht brokerage services are backed by years of experience, ingenuity and market knowledge.“
I completed six years as a director of the publication of a yachting magazine prior to creating my own yacht brokerage company in 2000. I deliver highly skilled work in transactions, operations management, yacht charter, and sales. I’m a determined businesswoman with maximum professionalism.
How did you get your start in yachting?
I am a well-known yacht broker from Saint-Tropez who has a deep understanding of the yachting market, spanning yacht brokerage sales, new builds and charters. I worked with many shipyards and attend the major boat shows, fostering strong relationships with the most important names in yachting. I started my career as an art director in Paris. I spent several years working in advertising before joining the world of luxury yachting.
I decided to move to Saint-Tropez and founded the magazine “L’Echo Nautique, The nautical World of the French Riviera”. I brought a wealth of experience in this role, where I acquired a great knowledge of yacht builders, brokers, was present at most of the boat shows, and was discovering every new model. In addition, I created many features on the most beautiful islands on the planet to present in the magazine. In 2000, following my knowledge of the yachting industry, I decided to create my own brokerage company called L’Echo Nautique.
Who are some influential people in your life that you look up to?
- My favorite yacht designers and naval architects are: Andrew Winch, Remi Tessier, Bannenberg, Espen Oeino, Tim Heywood, Philippe Briand, Dan Lenard, Luis de Basto, Tommaso Spadolini, Luca Brenta.
- My favorite builders are: Abeking & Rasmussen, Admiral, Alloy Yachts, Amels, Baglietto, Benetti, CNB, Feadship, Ferretti, Fitzroy, Heesen, Lurssen, Overmarine, Mulder, Nautor Swan’s, Oceanco, Palmer Johnson, Perini Navi, Pershing, Riva, Rossi Navi, Royal Denship, Sanlorenzo, Southern Wind, Sunreef, Tankoa, Van Dutch, Sacs, Viareggio Superyachts, Vitters and so many others.
- My favorite tool for yacht management: Deepblue
- My favorite yacht media & events: Yacht Magazine, Boat International, Superyacht Times, Boot, YATCO, Yachtworld, Cannes Boat Show, Monaco Yacht Show, MYBA Boat shows, St Barth Bucket, Voiles de St-Tropez, and ECPY events.
- Clients: Businessmen who trusted me and allowed me to evolve in the superyacht industry.
- Organization: MYBA & ECPY association allowed me to evolve providing expert knowledge and understanding in an industry that is in constant evolution.
What are some challenges you face and how do you overcome them?
The culture of the industry is very “high-end with 7-stars service.” I worked with many of the leading superyacht companies as well as international luxury brands and yacht owners directly. Working alone, but along this huge world of superyacht companies is not the easiest, but I love the liberty to move where I want and when I want.
What are you currently working on and how do you stay inspired?
“Increased sales, traffic, leads, and audience marketing are so important that I invest and know more; taking the time to learn how to be able to sell and charter yachts more efficiently is how I stay inspired.”
All Women in our Women in Yachting Series:
- Dominique Gapillout, Owner of L’Echo Nautique Yacht Brokerage
- Altea Llakmani, CCO and Partner, FGI Yacht Group
- Daria Tomassetti, Yacht Broker at Daria Tomassetti
- Candice Christiansen, Charter Management & Brokerage at Swisspath Yachting
- Niomi Matysek, Commercial Coordinator at Hill Robinson
- Daniela Backhaus, Head of Engineering Department Mechanical Systems at Lurssen Yachts
- Sara Gioanola, PR and Press Office Manager at Heesen Yachts
- Karen Martensen, Yachting Relationship and Operations Manager at Engel & Volkers
- Marianne Hendriks, Managing Director of Moonen Yachts
- Jenny Caird, CEO and Founder of 212 Yachts
- Rose Damen of Damen Yachting
- Eleonora Pitasso at BURGESS