YATCO’s Broker of the Month series examines the influences and catalysts that brought these brokers into the wonderful world of yachting, who influenced them, and what they seek to change in the industry. Here, we interview Pierre de Cancellis from Olympic Marine.
Everything You Need to Know About YATCO’s Broker of the Month Pierre de Cancellis:
How did you get your start in yachting?
Back in 1990, I was in the French Navy. Right when I finished, a very close friend of mine had just started his career racing for Ferrari in the Formula 1. He wanted to purchase a boat so asked me to follow the build of the Falcon 80ft. After this experience, I fell in love with the world of yachting.
Is there anyone in particular who influences you – someone in the industry that you look up to, and why?
Someone who inspired me within the field is Alain Nicaud who taught me a lot about the industry back in 1995. He was the dealer for an Italian Shipyard whom I worked closely with for some new builds of Falcon. Another person who I look up to in the industry is Jean Marie Recamier from Camper & Nicholsons who taught me a lot about the superyacht market.
What do you enjoy most about the yachting industry – and what do you wish you could change?
“The thing I love most about the yachting industry is meeting new people. I have met so many individuals from all over the world and really enjoy to constantly meet new people.”
One thing I would change about the industry is to create more human interactions. The yachting industry is shifting to digital interactions and I believe the success to this industry lies within a more personal interaction.
Tell us about your greatest accomplishment.
My greatest accomplishment will be the next one!
What are some of the challenges you come across at work, and how do you approach them?
“Curating the right team can sometimes be a challenge. Although the most important traits I look for in people are integrity, loyalty and trust.”
All Brokers in our Broker of the Month Series:
- Pierre de Cancellis from Olympic Marine – Broker of the Month: March 2022
- Herb Postma of Postma Yacht Group – Broker of the Month: February 2022
- Juno Prudhomm, Yacht Broker at Denison Yacht Sales – Broker of the Month: January 2022
- Daria Tomassetti, Independent Yacht Broker at DARIA TOMASSETTI – Broker of the Month: December 2021
- Robert Shepherd of Edmiston & Company – Broker of the Month: November 2021
- Mark Elliott of IYC – Broker of the Month: October 2021
- Georges Bourgoignie of Fraser Yachts – Broker of the Month: September 2021
- Fernando Nicholson of Camper & Nicholsons – Broker of the Month: August 2021