Lagoon Yachts History
Designed and constructed in Bordeaux, France, Lagoon Boats was founded in 1984 as an offshoot of Jeanneau yachts (JTA, Jeanneau Technologies Avancees) and are builders of sailing catamarans. As the largest producer of multihulls in the world, Lagoon builds for both charter and private use and are designed by VPLP, a French naval architecture firm. They’re elegant, spacious and deliver world-class maneuverability, which is why a Lagoon yacht, or to be more precise a Lagoon catamaran, has been at the top of every sailor’s wish.
JTA – famous for producing single and multihull offshore racing boats – built the first-generation series of Lagoon yachts between 1987 and 1996. The Lagoon 47, 55, 57, and 67 were designed for private owners who wanted to cruise offshore in style; Lagoon 37 and 42 models were designed for chartering. The year before the Beneteau Group took over JTA shipyards in 1996, Lagoon Yachts, always intrigued by out-of-the-ordinary projects, built the trimarans for the film Waterworld starring Kevin Costner.
Beneteau, a legend in leisure boat construction, handed over the development of Lagoon Yachts to Construction Navale Bordeaux (CNB) – the group’s division responsible for introducing high-tech composite hulls to the shipyard. Beneteau also turned naval architects Marc Van Peteghem and Vincent Lauriot Prévost (VPLP) loose to kick the brand’s design up a notch. Along the way, VPLP developed a way to optimize the hulls and the volume of catamaran lagoon yachts, making them lighter without sacrificing one knot of speed.
The Lagoon 380 is their most popular model, and the company has even ventured into building power catamarans with the Lagoon Power 43 and 44.
Thirty-six years later, Lagoon Yachts has built more than 5,800 catamarans. With nine sailing models and two Lagoon motor yacht models, ranging in length from 40 to 78 feet, Lagoon Yachts offers the broadest selection of large-size multihull custom catamarans on the market today. The most challenging task for prospective owners is choosing from the long list of options – size and sail plans, accommodations (one cabin, six cabins, en suite heads), interior designs/layouts, flybridge or aft helm station, self-tacking jib, wrap-around windows and more. There are many Lagoon boats for sale, and even with all the amenities, the shipyard’s expert craftsmen can deliver a made-to-order Lagoon yacht in four to five months, which is lightning-quick in the custom-yacht business.
Lagoon Catamaran Models
THE LAGOON 380
As the best-selling catamaran in the world, the Lagoon 380 is a proven, ocean-going vessel.
- With beamy hulls, the Lagoon 380 offers plenty of living spaces, and because of her compact size, she is easy to dock.
- The interior is superb and makes the most of her available space.
- The Lagoon 380 features dual sliding doors that open the main salon to the aft cockpit and has generous vertical windows that allow in plenty of light.
- With a galley located up top, and a cockpit that offers seating for up to six, her helm station positioning offers excellent visibility and is well connected to the living areas of the boat.
THE LAGOON 42
With generous living spaces and the utmost in performance, the Lagoon 42 is the French yard’s best-selling catamaran.
- It is large enough for liveaboards, and ample enough to be handled by a couple.
- The Lagoon 42 offers more curves in her design than her predecessors, yet still sports the trademark vertical windows in the salon that allow in natural light.
- On this Lagoon model, the mast is placed further aft allowing for more sail area forward, which helps to center the weight and lessen pitching and makes the mainsail easier to manage when there is wind.
THE LAGOON 46
A generous flybridge sailing catamaran, the Lagoon 46 was created for short-handed sailing and was designed with sophisticated lines, unmatched brightness and large living spaces.
- Amenities such as modular sunbeds, comprehensive galley that is linked to the cockpit, make the Lagoon 46 a highly sociable yacht.
- With an overall length of 13.99 meters, she features a wide beam of 7.96 meters, with a draft of 1.30 meters.
- Her interior spaces are well-lit due to many portholes and windows, and she features an abundance of fine finishes that only enhance the quality of life on the sea.
THE LAGOON 55
The Lagoon 55 is marked by her ability to exude an abundance of natural light to her interior spaces.
- She features two large skylights in the salon, and plenty of windows that flood her interior with brightness.
- Designed by VPLP, the Lagoon 55 is the ultimate modern cruising catamaran with “sugarscooped” transoms that extend beyond the boat’s topsides to offer easier access.
- From there, just two steps lead to the generous cockpit that is flushed with the aft platform forming a true veranda on the sea.
- Aboard the Lagoon 55, the flybridge features fore and aft sunbathing areas and an outdoor galley with a table and seating.
- Nauta Design is responsible for the interiors, who filled this Lagoon model with top joinery and the finest materials.
THE LAGOON 78
Also written as the Lagoon Seventy 8, the Lagoon 78 packs the volume of a 130ft monohull into its 78 feet. As a power catamaran, the Lagoon 78 is the progressive sistership to the Seventy 7 sailing catamaran. The series of Seventy Lagoon yachts are constructed at CNB in France, due to the fact that they require unique stern molds for the power and sail series.
- The single-level salon about the Lagoon 78 is completely designed by the owners to offer the utmost in personalization, meeting the needs and wants of its clientele packed into 78 feet of luxury.
- A vast foredeck is blanketed in teak, and spans 322 square feet. The Lagoon 78 offers ten different variations as it relates to the accommodations in the hulls, giving owners the freedom of choice when it comes to living spaces.
THE LAGOON 500
As an updated and enhanced edition of the Lagoon 440, the Lagoon 500 was formed with an emphasis on luxury.
- With no compromise on efficiency, the Lagoon 500 is 51 feet in length and offer wide deck spaces and spacious cabins below.
- With a comprehensive galley that offers lots of standing room, the Lagoon 500 also features convenient storage capacity.
- The flybridge aboard the Lagoon 500 offers excellent visibility at the helm, and offers seating for up to six guests.
- Offering various layouts for the accommodations, the Lagoon 500 comes in several versions: a three-cabin model with a dedicated owner’s hull, a four-cabin layout that offers a large owner’s stateroom, and a five-cabin layout that has a smaller master and offers bunk beds.
- The interior features woodwork from a sustainable source and is offered in either light oak or teak.
As a world leader in sail catamarans and power cats, Lagoon catamaran models excel with each build. Lagoon boats for sale are located all over the world, yet can be found here on YATCO.com, as well with one of our professional members, who are season yacht brokers. In each of its sail catamarans and power cats, Lagoon Yachts offers boats for sale that offer wide living spaces, spacious flybridges with superb visibility, and vast outdoor deck areas that are built for pure enjoyment of the sea. Because the company has sold so many of its vessels, it is considered a world leader among the yachting industry.
A world of firsts
- First catamaran with a gull, wing-shaped nacelle (2004)
- First catamaran under 45 feet with a flybridge (2004)
- First cruising catamaran with hybrid diesel/electric propulsion (2006)
- First partnership between Lagoon Yachts and Nauta (2010)
- Accessible, roomy technical compartments
- Deck hatches and portholes (excellent ventilation)
- Ergonomic deck plan
- Fixed hull windows (natural lighting)
- Lots of storage space
- Rigging with the mast step further aft
- Self-tacking foresail, more efficient mainsails
- Wide side windows with a panoramic 360-degree view
- Founder: Jeanneau Technologies Avancees (JTA) shipyard
- Current owner: Beneteau Group
- Yacht Type: Luxury catamaran cruisers, motor yachts
- Yacht Models: Sailing yachts: 40, 42, 450S (SporTop version; comfort with helm post in place of flybridge), 46, 50, 52S (luxurious, contemporary, continuity between exterior/interior), 52F (flybridge), Sixty 5 (slips into the yacht category), Seventy 7 (flagship; 78-foot motor yacht); Motor Yachts: Sixty 7, Seventy 8 (elegant, luxurious, stylish, comfortable for blue water and coastal cruising.
If you’re looking for an award-winning multihull Lagoon yacht for sale, start here. Take a leisurely sail through our real-time yachts for sale database. It’s home to the world’s most sought-after yacht and boat brands. Plus, it’s fast, which leaves you more time to spend on the water.
Fusion and Vacuum-Injected Fiberglass Gull-Wing Multihulls
Quick Boat Search
All New and Used Lagoon Yachts for Sale
Lagoon Yachts Models
More Info is Coming.