KIUROS - 1989 58' LITTLE HARBOR 58
Mallorca Spain $595,000 USD
KIUROS is a magnificent shoal-draft, center-cockpit offshore sailing yacht. She has been captain maintained since new, and for the last fifteen years by the same devoted captain. Further, over the last two years, she’s received major attention - her topsides, deck waterways and cabin trunks were Awlgripped. Her teak decks have been replaced with new, long lasting, synthetic teak decking, spars have been Awlgripped, running rigging replaced and more.
KIUROS is truly a special boat that’s ready to please and priced to sell.
European VAT paid.
KIUROS has three generous staterooms, owner’s cabin aft and two double guest cabins forward. The joinery below decks is classic Little Harbor with beautifully varnished teak, finished to a smooth, grain-filled surface. The below decks joinery is highly detailed with raised-panel doors and locker fronts. Lovely fiddles and edgings create a beautiful and masterfully executed nautical ambiance.
The teak and holly cabin sole is built of separate removable floorboards, providing unusually easy access to tank tops, seacocks and machinery. Lock-in type handles are installed with each section. Construction is of solid 3/8” alternating teak and holly laid over a lightweight core material for long-term stability.
New covers for all interior cushions (2020) include salon, chart table, fwd. cabin, and aft cabin seating. Cream-colored leather remains in good condition underneath.
The forward guest stateroom is particularly generous with a V-berth that is 9’-6” wide at the head and converts into a most comfortable double. Ample storage is provided by way of drawers, hanging locker and lockers running along the hull deck joint. Aft and to port is the second guest stateroom. This stateroom has a double lower berth with pull-out upper that can be lowered to create a settee using the lower berth. Again, generous lockers and drawers provide good storage.
To starboard is a full head with vanity, stall shower, good locker space and two doors providing either direct access from the main salon or private access from the forward stateroom.
The main salon is one of KIUROS’s calling cards and features Little Harbor hull ports along with stainless opening ports in the cabin trunk. The salon is spacious and comfortable, with a specially designed, contoured L-shaped settee to port with a beautifully crafted drop-leaf dining table.
On centerline, KIUROS has seating for two on an island settee. The island settee is unique in that the back rest is reversible. It can serve as a backrest for seating, facing either to port for purposes of dining at the dining table, or shift to the opposite side of the settee to serve as an additional small couch for the coffee table and L-shaped settee to starboard. The starboard L-shaped settee is built so that it may be converted to a wide berth for extra sleeping accommodations.
KIUROS’s main salon is truly exceptional. The detail and design allow it to feel cozy, yet at the same time be light and airy. She is tastefully equipped with Cantalupi chrome-plated brass light fixtures. Ventilation is exceptional with stainless cowl vents, overhead hatches and opening stainless port lights. With her built-in fixed hull ports and cabin ports above, one has a view of the outside world from the salon, whether seated or standing.
Adjacent to the companionway and after the salon is a U-shaped galley. The galley is equipped with a Seaward Princess stove, new Frigoboat water-cooled DC system for double-door fridge and double-door freezer. The fridge is both top and side loading, generous in size and has stainless shelves and liners. The galley is beautifully detailed with locker space below and above the counters. There is good ventilation from dorade ventilators, opening deck hatch and ports. There is an eye-level microwave. The galley is nicely positioned one step down from the salon and allows a sense of privacy for food prep in the galley, yet the person in the galley is not divorced from conversation in the salon. Galley equipment includes:
- Frigoboat refrigeration with separate top and bottom loading (both units are 12V DC, replaced 2014)
- Seaward Princess 3-burner stainless steel stove with oven
- Deep double stainless sinks with hot and cold water
- Sharp microwave oven
- Custom toaster oven
- Hamilton Beach blender, toaster and kettle (all new, 2018)
- Spice racks
- Knife holder
- Toaster and Nespresso coffeemaker (run off new Victron 3 kW inverter)
Across the salon to port is the navigation station. The navigators' desk faces aft so that when seated at the table one can easily communicate through the companionway with those in the cockpit. The Nav equipment has been upgraded with touch screen Garmin electronics linked to the cockpit.
The master stateroom is aft and can be accessed from the private aft cockpit or on the port side from the nav area/bar/freezer area. This cabin contains ample drawers and lockers, safe, and two hull ports plus four opening stainless steel ports in the cabin trunk. There is a queen-sized berth to port with a custom memory foam mattress with settee/pilot berth opposite. Hanging lockers are on port and centerline. To starboard is the owner's head with a separate stall shower and substantial drawer storage.
ELECTRONICS AND NAVIGATION
- Robertson Autopilot with AP300X control box at Nav station and AP22 at pedestal
- ICM 421 VHF with GPS distress button
- Garmin 5012 main unit networked to a 5008 repeater in cockpit
- Garmin units are set up to display charts, AIS, radar and engine instruments in any combination
- Garmin radar
- Hydra 330 B&G 20/20
- Auto loud hailer
- Fluxgate and magnetic sailing compasses
- AIS transponder
- Weatherman Navtex at nav station
- Back-up GPS and radios
- Hand-held Inmarsat sat phone
- Printer/ scanner
- Speakers in main salon, aft cabin
- Samsung LCD TV and Blu-ray DVD player (2018)
- DVD player on retracting platform
- Panasonic stereo in salon
The yacht's DC electrical supply is 12-volt, supplied by a bank of six heavy-duty gel cell house batteries (new 2019), with a total capacity of 1,200 amp hours. An independent 200 amp-hour battery is dedicated to engine starting. There is also a separate, independent battery for the vessel’s 12 kW Northern Lights genset. House batteries are charged by a 135-amp engine alternator and the engine battery is charged by a 55-amp alternator. Alternatively, all batteries may be charged by a new 12-volt automatic Victron interface inverter/charger run off the generator, or by shore power.
All ship's wiring is of tinned copper wire run in a PVC conduit system from bow to stern. Access for service or additional wiring installation is made easy at load center junctions concealed by a watertight cover. All wires are colored and numbered for easy identification.
- (4) Das Energy solar panels on bimini (2018)
- (2) Mastervolt solar regulators (2018)
- All lighting on KIUROS is LED
- Running lights Aqua Signal series 34 LED (new 2020)
- Masthead lights
- Steaming light
- Compass light
- Spreader uplights
- Spreader down lights for deck illumination
- Deck lights at all points of boarding, port, starboard and aft
- (2) LED boom lights for dining
- (1) LED passerelle light fitted in end of boom
- Stainless or brass overhead dome lights
- Stainless or brass "Frigast" reading lights
- Lights in heads and galley
- Chart table gooseneck light
- Forepeak, lazarette and engine room lights
- Combination red/white lights in galley and over chart table
- Night vision lights
AC ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
ASEA 12 kW shore power converter transformer to allow 220 or 11O VAC, making her a true global cruiser. The yacht's AC electrical system is 110V/60 cycles. AC power is supplied by two 50-amp shore power inlets. AC power is also supplied by a 3000W Victron inverter/charger and by a 12 kW Northern Lights diesel generator in full sound shield (new 2014). AC functions include water heater, watermaker, air conditioning, battery charger, electrical outlets, inverter, microwave oven.
There are two main switch panels located in the vicinity of the nav station. Other features include:
- Main DC and AC breakers
- (33) DC branch circuit breakers with back lighting
- (11) AC branch circuit breakers with back lighting
- 220 shore power connectors and 32amp cable (new 2020)
- Battery test meters
- Reverse polarity indicators
- DC and AC voltage and load current meters
- Variable speed fans installed in main salon and at each berth
- Automatic on/off switches for hanging locker and refrigerator/freezer lights
- GFIC water AC outlets in heads and galley
- Waterproof 12V and 110V outlets at the steering pedestal (new 2020)
- Engine, rudder post, mast step, chainplates and seacocks are grounded to a 6" copper strap, glassed to hull, running from bow to stern on both sides of hull
- Electrolysis protection is provided by zinc anodes installed on the propeller shaft and inside the centerboard trunk
- Copper screening glassed into hull for radio antenna ground
- Separate grounding bar installed for electronics
Hanging lockers and lockers under berths are lined with aromatic western red cedar. All other lockers above seat level are meticulously lined with teak. All wiring and plumbing is completely hidden from view in these lockers by removable panels.
Head countertops are granite and galley are white Corian. All other countertops in the boat are teak with a holly inlay. Berth and seat tops are Formica-lined with access to storage below through multiple lift-up openings.
All water and fuel tanks are below cabin sole level, providing extensive storage under seats and furniture throughout the interior. Canvas lee cloths are installed for all berths. Berth mattresses are 5" thick, using laminated variable density foam for added comfort. Ample shelving, bookshelves and handholds are provided throughout the interior. The bilges are faired and finished with gray Gelcoat.
Unique to some of the Little Harbor 58’s and sister 60’s, KIUROS has a second aft cockpit with private companionway leading into the owner’s aft master stateroom. There’s little better than lounging in the open evening air, looking up at the stars from this private nook.
HULL AND CONSTRUCTION
The centerboard is molded FRP with bronze protective shoe in leading edge and solid FRP around pin area. The centerboard has a highly efficient foil shape for enhanced upwind performance. The centerboard is raised hydraulically via the Navtec panel in the cockpit. The centerboard trunk is molded FRP. Centerboard provides for KIUROS’ unusually shoal draft (minimum draft of 5’-2” with board up) and 12’ when the board is in its fully down position.
The balanced spade rudder is molded FRP with 5" stainless steel rudderstock. Rudder blade molded around stainless steel frame welded to rudderstock. Rudderstock supported by upper bearing (Harken, new 2013) and lower Duromax bearing. A bronze stuffing box is provided with Teflon-impregnated packing. A retractable rudder blade carries a 5'-2" draft when up and 7'-6" draft when down. This rudder blade pivots up and down to provide excellent steering while maintaining KIUROS’ unusually shoal draft when both the centerboard and rudder blade are in their up positions.
All ballast is lead cast in place and fully encapsulated by the fiberglass hull and keel. The top of the lead is covered with approximately 1/2" solid FRP.
OTHERAll structural bulkheads are bonded to the hull and deck with FRP and Airex foam spacers. Floor beams are mahogany, interlocked and bonded to hull for rigid and durable support of cabin sole. FRP fuel and water tanks integral to the hull, for additional stiffness to hull laminate and to use the maximum amount of volume available. All tanks fully baffled with ample inspection ports. Water tanks are coated with clear Gelcoat. Chainplates are 316 stainless flat bar weldments thru-bolted to reinforced FRP attached to hull. Stainless mast step ¼” thickness, with limber holes and provision for 3" of fore and aft adjustment. FRP engine bed with steel reinforcement, bonded directly to hull.
The deck is constructed of FRP with Divinycell H-80 foam core for strength and stiffness. In areas where deck equipment is installed, core is replaced with Divinycell H-200 high-density foam. Cockpit sides and coaming are solid fiberglass. Deck flange is solid glass, approximately 3/8" thickness. The deck is bonded and bolted down with epoxy putty to the inboard angled hull flange with 5/16" bolts on 8" centers. Additional fastenings are provided with teak toe rail thru-bolted on 8" centers. All deck hatch landings are molded in FRP. The hull and all topside structures were painted Awlgrip Off White in 2020. Dorade boxes Awlgripped Light Gray (2020).
DECK/CUSTOM STAINLESS WORK
- Stainless bow pulpit with port and starboard running lights
- Stainless stern pulpit with boarding gate and stern light
- 30" stainless stanchions and double lifelines with side gates
- Stainless steel stemhead anchor roller fitting to starboard and a stainless steel removable bowsprit for Code Zero sail to port
- Built-in mooring line fairleads and installed flush with toe rail
- New stainless rub rails around hull (2020)
- Stainless steel stern and springline chocks flush with toe rail
- Stainless steel chainplates
- Stainless steel non-fouling guard rails over dorade boxes
- Stainless steel steering wheel with leather trim over teak
- (4) Stainless steel genoa tracks inboard and outboard with reference numbers stamped on top
- Stainless steel foot block bases
- Stainless and teak folding boarding ladder amidships-- the stainless striker on the rub rail is new (2020)
- Dorade vent shutoffs
Teak deck removed, sealed with Inter Protect; Flexiteek bedded and fastened to deck (2020) Toe rails are solid teak, flared and tapered to follow hull topsides. Dorade boxes are solid teak with dovetailed joints and Lexan tops. Teak eyebrow moldings run along cabin side and wrap seamlessly around front and back of cabin trunks. KIUROS’ handrails along with her unique and beautifully cockpit coamings/backrests and so much more were again finely crafted in solid teak. Toe rails and eyebrow moldings stripped to bare wood and refinished with 10 coats of varnish (2020).
- New Plexiglass, all hatches, companionway sliders (2020)
- Marguard tinted Lexan topside hull ports
- Hood Custom stainless steel opening portholes
- Stainless steel deck hatches
- Stainless steel cowl vents
- Flush deck prisms installed in fwd. cabins for extra natural light below
- Harken stainless steel padeyes and stainless steel roller-bearing deck and fairlead blocks
- (6) Stainless steel mooring cleats
- (4) Genoa fairlead cars and (4) eye cars
- Antal genoa cars and stoppers (new 2006)
- (2) Stainless Harken runner blocks
- Teak pulpit seat
- Companionway doors with screens and drop boards
- Freshwater washdown on foredeck
- Hot and cold fresh water shower, flush mounted in separate stern locker
- 3-tank camping gas installation in stern locker plus (2) large LPG tanks
- Stainless steel and wood stern-mounted passerelle
- Outboard motor davit, removable
- Outboard mount with stainless cover plates
- Deck chairs
- Teak mast cover
- Bosun's chair (2020)
- Jack lines
- Varnished teak flagpole with ensign
- Maxwell 3500 reversible windlass, controls in cockpit (new 2020), windlass motor (new 2012)
- 66 lb. Bruce anchor with 100m 3/8" HT chain
- 66 lb. Delta anchor with 250' 3/4" nylon rode & chain
- 75 lb. CQR anchor
- Stainless deck chocks for (2) anchors at bow
SAILS AND RIGGING
- Hood double spreader electric Stoway mast
- Hydraulic backstay, boom vang and centerboard rams reconditioned/ re-built (2016)
- Reckmann RF90-2 headstay furler, foil and swivels
- New rod rigging shrouds, diagonals, lowers, forestay and backstay (2014)
- All running rigging replaced (2018)
- Spin Lock halyard clutches (new 2018)
- Rutgerson outhaul and main sheet clutches (new 2020)
- Staysail package: staysail, inner forestay with quick release, runners
- Code Zero package, including removable bowsprit
- Full spinnaker package: pole, butt hoist, topping lift, and pole storage on mast (not in use currently, but available)
- Navtec hydraulic boom vang and backstay with fail-safe turnbuckle with control panel in cockpit
- Masthead light/tricolor/strobe LED (2014)
- Hood No. 1 Vectron genoa 120% (2011)
- Hood No. 2 Vectron genoa 90% (2011)
- Hood furling mainsail (2011)
- Code Zero (2011)
- Halsey/Lidgard staysail
- Storm jib
- (2) Barient 36 ST-PW-S electric primaries
- Barient 32 ST-W-PS electric mainsheet
- Barient 32 ST-PW-S electric outhaul
- Barient 24 ST halyard winches on mast
- Barient 28 ST running back winch
ENGINE AND MECHANICAL EQUIPMENT
Power is provided by a 140 hp Lugger L6414D fresh water-cooled diesel (re-built 2008, new head gasket/bolts and inlet/exhaust gaskets replaced 2020). The engine is fitted with twin alternators for battery charging with instruments displayed on the Garmins; 2 amp meters; volt meter; low oil pressure alarm and high water temperate alarm. The wet exhaust system includes a water-lift type muffler, anti-siphon break and stern riser with discharge at transom.
Engine controlled via electric on/off switch and Kobelt single-lever shift and throttle controls. Engine and generator start is via separate single 200-amp hour batteries. In case of low voltage, an emergency start switch paralleling all house batteries to the starting circuit is provided for both. All batteries are under the cabin sole on port side of the centerboard trunk.
The main engine turns a 27" diameter Max Prop Ecowind feathering 4-blade propeller (new 2012) connected to the engine by a 1-3/4" diameter Aquamet stainless shaft. New PPS shaft seal (2019). New cutlass bearing (2019). The Maxprop Ecowind not only has negligible drag but automatically adjusts blade pitch to sea conditions, giving approx. 30% better fuel economy than the standard Max Prop. Propeller thrust is absorbed by a thrust bearing secured to a structural bulkhead. A Scatra flexible engine coupler connects the thrust bearing to the engine, allowing for installation on flexible mounts to eliminate engine vibration. A "bellows" type stuffing box is provided for the propeller shaft for maintenance-free operation.
The engine room is extremely well insulated with a foam/lead sandwich providing a total thickness of 3", and machinery noise throughout the boat is minimal. Engine access is via removable side doors in the passageway aft, the galley, aft cabin and head. The engine room has 12-volt lighting and twin fans for air intake and discharge. To facilitate major engine work, the entire front section of the engine room is removable for easy access.
- Northern Lights N843 generator (new 2014, 1,572 hrs.)
- Marine Air Systems VCP16K full reverse-cycle air conditioning throughout
- Richfield 300 hydraulic bow thruster with new electromagnetic clutch (2016)
- Sea Recovery watermaker, 50 GPH, new membranes (2018), new high and low pressure gauges (2020)
- Lugger major spares kit
- Northern Lights generator spares kit
- Custom tool caddies in engine access doors with full complement of tools
- Ocean Safety 8-man life raft (2014), (serviced 2020)
- Halon automatic remote fire extinguisher system with manual control from helm
- 12V 2000 Candle search light with sockets at pedestal and on foredeck
- (8) Life jackets with harnesses
- Fire extinguishers throughout
- Dodgers for main and aft cockpits
- Biminis for main cockpit
- Sun shades fore and aft
- Exterior brightwork canvas covers
- New canvas cover for Novurania 360 (2020)
- Various custom extras: fitted sheets, blankets, bedspreads, pillow shams etc.
- Indirect valance lighting with dimmers
- Custom slides on hatches for screens & blackout
- Fans in all cabins
- Safe in aft cabin
- Teak shower seats
- Holding tank for each head
- New shower drain pumps (2020)
- Many hoses replaced (2018/19)
- Extensive collection of pilot guides and charts
The owner’s personal effects are
excluded from the sale.