2005 57' DERECKTOR Cruising Yacht Newport Beach California United States $2,099,000 USD
2005 57' DERECKTOR Cruising Yacht Newport Beach California United States
The stunning 57-footer, VENDETTA was penned by naval architect Doug Zurn and was built in 2005 for Rock & Roll Hall of Fame musician Billy Joel.
Styled in the classic manner of the commuter yachts of the 1920s, VENDETTA boasts ample cockpit space and luxurious interior appointments. VENDETTA features a classic design, with modern mechanicals, electronics, and amenities and massive power.
VENDETTA fulfills the vision of a unique group of yachtsmen striving to create the perfect luxury/commuter boat.
Weighing considerably less than other yachts of her size, VENDETTA glides atop the open ocean at speeds approaching 50 knots on an advanced composite hull built of hybrid Kevlar.
VENDETTA recently completed a 2.5 year refit in 2019. The result is one of the finest examples of a unique, yet practical, custom-designed watercrafts residing on the West Coast.
- Her high level of design, engineering and quality is a rarity in an industry dominated by production boats.
- Just completed a 2.5 year refit in 2019 at Newport Harbor Shipyard.
- Recent survey with a value of $3.8 million.
- Designed by Rock & Roll Hall of Fame musician Billy Joel.
The legend of Vendetta lives on with the restoration of Billy Joel's custom designed 57ft luxury channel cruiser now berthed in Newport Beach California. Built on the East Coast, refitted on the West, Vendetta fulfills the vision of a unique group of yachtsmen striving to create the perfect luxury/commuter boat.
"What we're trying to do is with this thing is basically combine a PT boat's speed and durability with the look and feel of a “30s era commuter, with a low profile like a rumrunner.” - Billy Joel
It began to take shape around 2003. Billy Joel, yachtsman, boat builder, and Grammy award winning entertainer, had an idea. The Shelter Island 38 he created had become a success, but he knew there was more he could do with that concept. Designed after the Long Island commuter boats built in the 1920's for New York's wealthy businessmen, the Shelter Island could smoothly and quickly transport the fortunate owners across Long Island sound to Manhattan and back, just as the Vanderbilt's did in 1925.
What if he could build a commuter yacht for himself; one that could outperform and outclass anything in the sound? It would have to be bigger than the 38, and it would need massive power. Something with a classic design, yet with modern mechanicals, electronics, and amenities. Thus, was born the concept of Vendetta.
Billy consulted with the designer of the original Shelter Island, renowned architect Doug Zurn, who adapted the vision into a full-scale buildable design. Directors Shipyard, Mamaroneck, New York, was chosen for the build and she was commissioned in July of 2005. With a narrow, modified V-hull, and straight sections that culminate in a torpedo aft, the yacht was everything Joel had imagined after adding the twin 1300 HP Man diesel engines. It would carry Billy and his passengers from the new Long Island home he had just built to all of his favorite coastal locations at 45 plus knots in style.
Billy moved on, to other yachts, and other challenges. Vendetta was sold in 2016 to two California businessmen. The two had owned traditional yachts, but now sought a challenge in the Vendetta. Vendetta was conceived as a Spartan workhorse, a muscular commuter boat with a single purpose in mind. Transporting it to Newport Beach and the West Coast presented a unique challenge: How to turn that single purpose yacht into a refined coastal cruiser with longer distances, and more comfort, in mind. One of the partners, Rudy, took the reins and immediately enlisted the original architect, Doug Zurn to assist in the transformation. The goal was to refine the boat for its new place as a California coastal cruiser yet keep the integrity of Billy's original vision and classic style. The most challenging modification was the seating. The flat aft area behind the four cockpit seats was in Rudy's mind an opportunity to expand the useable space aboveboard. Doug Zurn redesigned the entire cockpit and rear deck area to accommodate a wraparound lounge seat and built in cocktail table. Along with new cockpit seats and built in cabinets, the boat was transformed into the luxury/entertainment yacht it is today.
Newport Harbor Shipyard in Newport Beach was commissioned for a refit the owner worked closely with the manager Jesse Salem to review every detail to ensure the yacht would be impeccable both inside and out. Complete restoration or renovation of the entire boat took place a two- and half-year period using the most skilled craftsman on the West Coast. Mechanically, other than some fine tuning, Vendetta retain the same propulsion systems and hull design that still afford45 knot plus speeds.
The result is one of the finest examples of a unique, yet practical, custom designed watercraft residing on the West Coast.
- All new exterior paint – Awlgrip Absolute White
- Hull – Awlgrip super Jet Black
- Bottom paint – Petit Trinidad Red
- Redesigned cockpit with wrap around rear settee and built-in cockpit table
- New double and single row custom high glass helm chairs by Release Marine
- Seat finished in custom Oxblood Italian leather
- Teak cabinet, one side, housing bar, refrigerator, and trash
- New teak decks, natural finish
- Stainless hand forges mast replacing the original fiberglass
- New, fabricated, structural hardtop supports with custom windows and inserts
- Hand crafted stainless structural supported shade covering the entire rear decks and settee
- Custom built ski/wakeboard post
- New Stainless Steel stairway threads
- New teak decks throughout
- Custom bath and galley sinks and hardware
- New cabinet doors and latches
- New paint throughout – Awlgrip Snow White
- New Oxblood Italian leather seats
- New Teak countertops
- New Headhunter toilet
- New sub-zero refrigerator
- Added aft thruster
- Propeller shafts removed and rebalanced
- Propellers removed and rebalanced
- New cutlass bearings
- (2) Raymarine E120 Custom E-series GPS navigation & communication
- Marine Comfort air conditioning
- Lewmar bow and aft thrusters
- Westerbeke 10kw genset
- Reverso oil changing system
- Fuel tank level monitors
- Engine room and generator room Sea Fire FM200 automatic fire suppression systems
- Twin 1300hp Man diesel by Performance Diesel Hours 900
- Power Vend surface piercing propellers
- Custom 5-blade Hale propellers
- Custom Exhaust by Marine Exhaust Systems
- Classic Instruments engine monitoring gauges
Radio and Electronics
- VHF marine radio: Standard Horizon GX5000S. Positioning: (3) Ray Marine E120 GPS/Chart Plotter
- Radar: Ray Marine E120 4Kw 72Nm range open array. Compass: Magnetic and electronic
- Auto Pilot: Ray Marine
- Depth/Speed: Ray Marine E120
- Engine network: Conventional and electronic gauge clusters
- Entertainment systems: Mem stereo with dual amplifiers to an array of custom installed speakers and custom installed woofers
Additional Equipment/Inventory Noted
- Custom canvas covers and aft deck cantilevered awning with stainless steel tubular structure
- (4) Custom stainless steel deck ventilation dorads with teak drainage boxes
- Fresh water hot/cold aft deck shower
- Custom ornate stainless steel anchor strike plate on bow of vessel
- Stainless steel forward facing 24Vdc Francis spot light located on cockpit hard top
- Custom built and installed multi-zone sound system
- Built in engine room tool box
- Custom ski/wakeboard post – reinforced post sleeve
- Deionized water system bow and stern with retractable hose and shower