2002 54' 9" DISCOVERY Cruising Sailboat Discovery 55 Valencia Spain £485,000 GBP
2002 54' 9" DISCOVERY Cruising Sailboat Discovery 55 Valencia Spain
#3 of this extraordinary benchmark bluewater cruising series, from Ron Holland, and built in the UK at Discovery, she benefits from a bottom up refit in 2016 to prepare her for the World ARC. Work has included all new electronics, new standing rigging and rebuilt and repaint of the rig. She has a very funky set of new North Sails to go with this as well as uprated deck gear. All systems have been fully refurbished or replaced, with new batteries and the list of all else is very long. Used for cruising from the UK as far as the Canaries, via Portugal and the Azores, she has proved herself to be a reliable and very comfortable platform for bluewater cruising. Of course, all the soft furnishings have been replaced and her cherry interior is resplendent. Now totally ready for very serious cruising and set up for a crew of 2 to do the world with. She comes with comfortable quarters for 4 further sailors and has storage everywhere.
Contact the yacht broker to receive more information or schedule a showing of this 2002 54' 9" DISCOVERY Discovery 55 Cruising Sailboat Center Cockpit PAMELA yacht for sale in Valencia, Spain today!
The Discovery 55’ has been extensively reviewed. Bluewater Sailing calls her ‘an innovative and eminently comfortable voyaging home’ whilst Boat International said ‘the Discovery 55’ is a beautiful boat, soundly constructed out of the best materials and designed to look after her crew, whatever nature throws up. But none of this is at the expense of performance which is in the top league of today’s modern cruiser-racers’
Call us today for an appointment to view, and if you would like to have copies of the boat tests above, please just ask.
RCD Status: The yacht conforms with the essential safety requirements of Directive 94/25EC (Recreational Craft Directive) and is categorised A – “Ocean”
Hull, Deck & Superstructure Construction:
- GRP cored deck, with teak overlaid as well as in the cockpit.
- Superstructure in GRP.
- Teak and stainless steel external trim.
- Designed by High Modular Engineering, laid up in female moulds.
- Lay-up incorporates en-grain balsa core which is vacuumed for complete structural integrity.
- Woven matt is used with a layer of woven Kevlar throughout the forward part of the hull.
- Structural bulkheads are of marine ply, laminated to hull and deck.
- The hull has 2 coats of isothalic gelcoat and is non-pigmented below the waterline, followed by powder bound matt.
- The hull is epoxy coated beneath the waterline and the boot top is mounded into the gelcoat.
- Hull topside painted with Duker blue acrylic (November 2013). Work inspected by qualified surveyor.
- Watertight door amidships with watertight ducting.
- There are 2 watertight bulkheads, aft of the chain locker and between the main forward sail locker and the forward cabin. Duker blue gelcoat, gold and red style lines.
- All deck hatches replaced 2016 including hatch surrounds.
- All coachroof opening ports replaced 2016. Aft fixed portlight replaced 2016.
Keel & Rudder:
- Half skeg hung rudder. Rudder dropped and fully serviced including foam filling and refitted. Rudder quadrant also overhauled 2016.
- Lead keel, bolted externally.
- Ballast keel removed and refitted and also blasted and re-treated 2016.
Engine & Gearboxes:
- 1 x Yanmar 4LHA 4-Cylinder Turbo 140hp (103kW) diesel engine.
- 2.5.1 Reduction gearbox.
- Engine is mounted on flexible captive feed.
- Aquadrive coupling through thrust bearing in shaft on cast bronze P bracket.
- Engine room is lined with fire retardant insulation.
Maintenance & Performance:
- Engine Hours: c. 4,280.
- Full 2,000 engine hour service undertaken in 2016 and all recommendations carried out. Any components replaced with new Yanmar specific parts. The engine raw water pump was replaced, bell housing checked for water ingress and the engine was repainted where required.
- New engine mounts (2016).
- Turbo charger fully refurbished 2016.
- Exhaust system fully refurbished with a new elbow and alternative exhaust riser to prevent back flooding in the future (2016).
Propulsion & Steering:
- 24” Maxprop propeller refurbished 2016.
- Prop shaft drawn and checked 2016, together with P bracket and new cutlass bearing (2016).
- Rope cutter refurbished 2016.
- 24v Bowthruster with faired aperture; overhauled and leg replaced 2012 and refurbished 2016.
- Whitlock wheel steering with custom pedestal and leather cover plus friction brake.
- Steering system received service and corrosion inhibition in 2014 and refurbished 2016.
- All seacocks overhauled and replaced as necessary (2016).
- 240v Ring main.
- 12 x 2v Gel cell giving 500amp hr at 24v house batteries.
- 2 x 12v Engine and genset starter batteries.
- All the batteries, both house and engine starter, were new in 2016.
- Victron Energie battery charger.
- 2 x Alternators, 55amp and 100amp.
- Refurbished 2016.
- Generator alternator replaced 2016.
- Onan 11kW generator in sound shield.
- Generator Hours: c. 975.
- Full refurbished 2016 including new starter motor, refurbish exhaust manifold, elbow and hose. New Stop solenoid, and rework of the exhaust system
- 24-12v converter.
- Victron Energie 2500w inverter.
Fresh Water & Water Heating System:
- Plumbing for hot tub in cockpit, which is fully operational.
- 50 litre Engine calorifier with 240v immersion.
- All seacocks overhauled and replaced as necessary (2016).
- Soft wood bungs for all seacocks.
- Seafresh, 90 litres an hour, watermaker (overhauled 2016).
- 3 x Electric bilge pumps: forward cabin, main section with high output pump, forward sail locker, a manual bilge pump is operated from cockpit. All refurbished 2016 including pipework.
- Main bilge pump replaced in 2014.
- Total capacity of 1,310 litres in 3 x high density polythene tanks.
- Independent fuel filter system to each fuel tank with audible alarm to the cockpit.
- Tank senders replaced 2016.
- Replacement of fuel tank breathers (2016).
- Total fuel capacity of 800 litres in 2 x rigid high density polythene tanks.
Grey/Blackwater holding tanks:
- Blackwater holding tanks with total capacity of 120 litres (60 litres each).
- Raytheon eS Series boat speed, wind speed and direction, depth at cockpit (2016).
- Navigation pod with eS Series Hybrid Touch radar/chartplotter on binnacle.
- Navigation at chart table. E Series hybrid touch radar/chart plotter with insert cards for Europe, Atlantic, Pacific and Indian oceans. Also there’s additionally eS Series small screen display at chart table.
- AIS650 and AIS100 with audible alarm in the main saloon (2016).
- Autohelm ST6002 autopilot with remote 2002; B&G autopilot ram (2016). New autohelm motor in 2018.
- Toughbook Computer at lower helm with full sailing prediction programming (2016).
- Furuno Navtex.
- Echomax Active X Band Radar target enhancer (2016).
- Raymarine Hailing horn (2016)
- Icom M91D Hand held VHF (2016).
- Icome M801E Fist mike and cable.
- iPad docking.
- USB charge.
- NAS drive.
- 4G communication.
- Fleet 33 Inmarsat Satellite telephone 2006, fully overhauled 2016
- Sailor SSB Radio 2006, Fully overhauled 2016 including replacement of grounding strip
- Zanussi washer/dryer.
- Force 10 Marine 3-burner hob and oven, gas.
- Gas system totally rebuilt 2016.
- Sharp Microwave.
- Extractor hood.
- Frigomatic 24v refrigerator with sea water keel cooled heat exchanger rebuilt 2016.
- 60 cu ft deep freeze.
- 10.4 cu ft fridge, with double doors.
- Gas alarm replaced in 2016.
- 1 x PAR manual W/C; Jabsco pump unit replaced 2013 and refurbished 2016.
- 1 x Briden Tecma electric W/C; new electric control unit replaced 2013 and refurbished 2016.
- 2 x Showers; aft pump replaced 2012 & 2016.
- Hot and cold shower on transom.
Heating & Ventilation:
- Full tropical Dometic air conditioning fully refurbished in 2016 including replacement circulation pump.
- Fans throughout the yacht.
- Eberspacher Hydronic 10 MII 24v central heating replaced 2016.
- Samsung smart TV in main saloon (2016), plus a Samsung tv in the owners aft cabin.
- Sonos speakers in forward cabin, main saloon, aft cabin and waterproof speakers in cockpit, all 2016.
- Integrated radio stereo (2016).
- All with Ethernet cabling (2016).
- Aqua Signal combined masthead/tri-colour light, steaming light, deck flood light and boom light 2016.
- Lights on spreaders (2016).
- LED lighting throughout the yacht (2016).
- Aqua Signal LED navigation lights (2016).
Summary of Accommodation:
- Cherry with teak and holly amtico soleboards. The joinery was refreshed 2016 including re-varnishing of the main saloon table.
- Stainless steel door furniture and trim.
- Corian work surfaces.
- All hull and deck surfaces are lined.
- All bilge areas are flo-coated in grey or white refurbished 2016.
- 2 x Front opening windows in main saloon.
- Large front facing windows were replaced in 2017.
- 6 x Opening ports in hull.
- Elevated saloon with circular seating for 9.
- 2 x Double berths; 3 x single berths.
- Double cabin in bow, twin bunk cabin in port, heads with shower to starboard.
- Pilot berth to starboard.
- Elevated navigation station on starboard side with galley to port, running back to large double cabin aft with en-suite heads compartment.
- Navigation seat in leather.
- Watertight bulkhead and door from main saloon to forward accommodation. The bulkhead in the forward cabin is also watertight, as is the bulkhead between the chain locker and forward lazarette.
- Lee cloths.
- New saloon upholstery (2016).
- New passage berth upholstery (2016).
- New protective cover for main saloon table (2016).
- New carpets in Royal Blue (2016)
- Ocean Air blinds for main saloon (2016).
- Full set of Nauteriors bed linen (2016).
- Dyson fitted hoover (2016).
- Cutter headed masthead sloop rig.
- Selden aluminium, white painted, keel stepped spar.
- Stripped with all fittings removed and refurbished or replaced as needed and fully repainted 2016 including boom and spreaders.
- Mast gaiter replaced 2016.
- Mast electrics replaced 2016.
- Mainsheet traveller system rebuilt 2016.
- Chain plate fastenings replaced 2016.
- 1 x 19 Stainless steel wire standing rigging using swage terminals and open body rigging screws including 2 x V1 14mm replaced 2016.
- Running rigging in Dyneema and polyester braid all replaced 2016 to suit new North Sails.
- Bowsprit fitted 2016.
- Spinlock clutches for control lines.
- Electric in-mast furling on mainsail rebuilt 2016.
- Furlex 4005 furling drums for genoa and staysail serviced in 2016.
- Selden Hydraulic boom vang refurbished 2016.
- Harken 75mm Black Magic blocks to jib sheet and main sheet systems and spinnaker sheet lead blocks.
- Spinlock clutches all replaced 2016.
- Self tacking staysail on a Lewmar anodized track.
- Twistle rig enabling single handed downwind sailing, including two poling-out spars.
- 2 x Andersen 46ST manual mast winches.
- 1 x Lewmar 48ST coachroof winch – electric.
- 2 x Lewmar 64ST primary winches – electric.
- 1 x Lewmar mainsheet winch.
- Winches overhauled 2016.
- All sails replaced in 2016 and built by North Sails.
- In-mast furling mainsail w/battens - 3Di 760 (16,800Dpi) (2016).
- Furling genoa – 3Di 760 (16,800Dpi).
- Self-tacking furling jib w/battens – 3Di 760 (22,400Dpi).
- G2 running gennaker – NorLon (NO 150).
- Salt water deck wash.
- Hydraulic extending passerelle with remote control refurbished 2016.
- Bathing platform with steps inset with teak.
- New guardwires with swage fork end fittings and turnbuckle rigging screws.
- Pulpit with teak seats, stainless steel stanchions, boarding gates.
- Pushpit with gin and tonic seats, fold down swim ladder from sugar scoop stern arrangement.
- Steering pedestal rebuilt 2016 with mug holders.
- Aft lazarette lockers fully refurbished 2016.
- Companionway hatch and washboard rebuilt 2016.
- Aft Dorade vents all rebuilt 2016.
- Fishing rod holders.
- Watt and Sea hydro generator (2017).
- Rutland wind generator (2016).
Anchoring & Mooring Equipment:
- Stern anchoring arrangement.
- 40kg Rocna anchor.
- Kedge anchors.
- 100 x 9.5mm x 28mm x 12mm calibrated Gr 2 short link galvanised chain (2016).
- Lewmar V4/5 vertical electric anchor windlass with a 24v motor with remote control and control on the pedestal as well as foredeck – switches all replaced 2016.
- Lewmar winch fitted - on top of electric windlass 2020.
- 2 x 100m soft mooring lines for tying to shore while at anchor.
Covers, Canvas & Cushions:
- All in tan acrylic and all replaced 2016.
- Cockpit table cover.
- Steering wheel and pedestal cover.
- Deck hatch covers.
- Windscreen covers.
- Outboard motor cover.
- Mast gaiter cover.
- Dinghy cover.
- Headsail covers.
Tender & Outboard:
- Caribou 2.5m dinghy; refurbished 2016.
- Yamaha 8hp outboard engine refurbished 2016.
- 2 x Whittall Marine 100kg davits. Davit pads removed and rebuilt 2016.
- Liferaft cradle fitted to pushpit (2016).
- Hydrostatic release for liferaft.
- RFD ISO 9650- Type 1 8 man liferaft in canister.
- Jonbuoy MoB Recovery module (2016).
- Sea Fire FM200 fire system to engine room (2016).
- 1 kg dry power extinguishers to all cabins (2016).
- 2 kg dry power extinguisher to main saloon (2016).
- 2KG CO2 extinguishers to galley (2016).
- Jackstays (2016).
- High visibility deck cover (2016).
- V-Tronix emergency VHF antenna (2016).
- 24v Waterproof handheld searchlight (2016).
- LED emergency nav light (2016).
- Offshore standard first aid kit (2016).
- RORC Flare Pack (2016).
- Jonbuoy inflatable horseshoe and lights (2016).