What Boat Should I Buy?
To answer this question, you must first ask yourself what are your plans with the boat? What will be the primary use of the boat, deep-sea fishing? The type of boat you buy needs to suit your needs. How many people will be boating with you? Do you plan to sleep onboard? These questions will define the capacity and space you want the boat to have. Finally, how are you storing your boat? Are you trailing it? Does it need to fit in a garage? Are you looking for watersports boats, perhaps?
“Choosing the right type of boat to buy requires time for you to decide what you want out of buying a boat. It may be smart to take a ride on your friend’s boat or charter a yacht so you can better understand the features you want before buying a boat.”
Read our checklist for buying a yacht or boat here. This boat buyer guide will help you move forward, whether you choose to purchase or not.
Must-Read Yacht Buying Checklist for Educated Boat Buyers
#1 Should I Talk to a Yacht Broker Before Buying a Boat?
Yes! Consider a yacht broker your boat buyer guide.
Hiring a yacht broker with greater confidence is the best decision a boat buyer can make before buying a boat.
- A yacht broker will help you save time and stress less by walking you through the entire process.
- They know the market very well and can advise you on current trends, boat pricing, maintenance costs, vessel features, legal documents, financing, and much more.
- Your yacht broker can also advise you on the type of boat to buy, whether it’s a fishing boat, a watersports boat, a day cruiser or even a power boat.
- They will be knowledgeable in what types of watersports boat to get you in based on where you will be taking the boat, for instance.
- They will also know what type of fishing boat will suit you best based on the type of fishing you want to do, where you will be taking the boat, and who will come along.
- Your yacht broker will protect your best interests, arrange for sea trials, and answer any questions you may have about the boat.
- Arranging for a sea trial can be tricky, as there are multiple parties involved, and sea trials are best done by someone with lots of experience.
Choosing the right yacht broker is easy with YATCO. We only work with the best professionals in the industry, who have trusted YATCO for over 20 years to list their yachts and boats for sale. For greater confidence in your decision, you should purchase a yacht or boat with a broker.
To search for a yacht broker, please click here.
#2 Should I Buy or Charter a Boat First?
The answer to this question depends on the type of boat you plan to buy.
- Are you on the market for a small weekend cruiser, or a 7-8 meter fishing boat, or a yacht of 20-meters in length or above?
- If you are looking for a powerboat, it makes sense to buy it and use it right away as soon as you and your yacht broker are ready, but we do recommend taking it for a sea trial prior to the purchase.
- However, if you are looking for a large yacht, you should consider chartering a similar vessel first so you can have a better feel for it, including its features, cruising speed, and much more.
- If you are looking for a fishing boat, then consult a yacht broker who is seasoned with fishing boats. They know the industry, and have cared for clients looking for fishing boats, so they know where to look.
#3 How Does YATCO Differ from Other Listing Services?
YATCO is The Official MLS of the Yachting Industry™ with over 20 years in the yachts for sale market. Our technology was designed to serve the needs of both the yacht buyer and the professional yacht broker. We maintain the highest standards in the industry by having central listings only, ensuring the interests of both the buyer and seller are protected. Our professional members also adhere to a strict code of rules and ethics, and, unlike other online marketplaces within the yachting industry, boat buyers will only find valid listings.
#4 Can a Boat Buyer Become a Member?
YATCO offers boat buyers an exclusive membership program with two available options – Standard and VIP. The Standard membership is for the occasional buyer who wants to search boats that are available for sale. The VIP membership unlocks all the power of our YATCO system, allowing for saved boat searches, automatic alerts of specified yachts of interest, access to the top boat shows each year, and much more. Professional broker membership is limited to qualified professionals only and allows the uploading and management of listings, along with tailored reports, industry trends, and yacht ownership databases.
#5 Why Should I Use YATCO?
YATCO is The Official MLS of the Yachting Industry™ with over 20 years in the yachts for sale market. Buyers and brokers alike can quickly search for yachts, boats, and sailboats for sale, virtually anywhere in the world. Our site contains thousands of boats for sale and is the site of choice for the world’s best performing yacht brokers. Boat buyers will only find valid listings.
#6 Does YATCO Publish Open Listings?
No. YATCO only publishes Central Listings. YATCO’s mission is to protect the interests of both the buyer, seller, and the professional broker. By only publishing Central Listings, YATCO maintains both price integrity and the trusted relationship between seller, buyer, and broker.