Leeway is all about the grace and charm of the Down East style of renown Maine boat-builder and MIT naval architect, Joel White. While Joel is perhaps best known for his beautiful wooden boats, he also designed and built 19 custom boats with fiberglass Webber Cove hulls. In 1976 a customer commissioned Joel to take a large volume Webber's Cove 40 hull and design a deep, comfortable teak cockpit, good size upper salon, lower salon with double berth, separate head with tall shower, large v-berth and plenty of storage. The two stateroom layout provides berths for 4. The large Flybridge has seating for 6 with a centerline helm seat.
Joel White’s design transformed the Webbers Cove hull successfully into a beautiful Flybridge pleasure yacht which was launched in 1978 from his Brooklyn Boat Yard where she is recorded in the log of over 80 boats completed during his life time. In 1998, Leeway was purchased by the second owner's who made substantial upgrades to cruise comfortably on the Chesapeake Bay. Leeway, because she was designed by Joel White, stands out on the water for her linear simplicity, structural integrity, and timeless beauty. It is Joel White’s master of the fusion of design, construction and use which makes Leeway a sheer pleasure to cruise.
Electrical wiring, lights, 12v and 110v panels (all replaced)
Hot water heater (replaced)
New head & system
Hydraulic lines (new)
Teak floors (refinished)
Rebuilt hydraulic steering
Interior (salon trim refinishing, gloss varnish)
Flybridge and cockpit biminis
Cargo Mast: new and refinishing (2007)
Exterior Hull Awlgrip (2005)
Upgraded autopilot (Simrad, 2007)
Exterior deck, superstructure, flybridge, cockpit Awlgrip refinishing (2007)
Salon windows (new, custom aluminum opening windows with screen)
Exterior stainless: rails, stanchions (new 2008)
Corian galley counter top with stainless sink
Raytheon speed, depth, wind and tri-data gauges
- Furuno vx 2 7" LCD radar, chart plotter and GPS (new 2008) with Sirus Weather
- 6" Compass
- VHF ICOM M127
- Robertson Autopilot AP 200 Slave
- Fetus Bow thruster control
- High Water Bilge Alarm and Propane Alarm
- Vetus Bow thruster control
30 Amp/110V Shore power
Teakdeck cockpit (deep)
Tabernacle/hinged mast for dinghy handling
(2) forward teak dorades with chrome cowl vents
Teak swim platform with swim ladder, bronze transom steps
3 burner propane stove with oven, solenoid
Leather salon sofa, pulls out for additional sleeping accomodations
Salon table with (2) leaves
"Rattan" cockpit armchairs (2), table
Teak and holly cabin sole
2nd stateroom/sitting area (sleeps 2)
Salon, teak "boat blinds", (2) full size screen doors and glass paneled enclosure doors (2)
5 blade prop
SS bow rail, stanchions and lifelines
Dark Green awlgrip hull
White boot stripe with large Red stripe in the center
Mast with: self tailing winch, SS/teak outboard bracket, deck floodlights, Firdell radar reflector, GPS, VHF, Radar antennas
Upgraded 1999: 80% of Systems replaced by Georgetown Yacht Basin Inc.
Upgraded 2000: Radar Mount, Radar Reflector on new cargo mast for 2 GPS antennas,
aft deck light, steaming light, anchor light and ForeSpar lighting
Upgraded 2004: Hull re-painted with Awlgrip "Jade Mist" (Dark Green) and Clear
Upgraded 2007: Dickerson Harbor removed all fittings and painted Deck, Flybridge,
Cabin, and Mast with AlexSeal and re-bedded all fixtures
Upgraded 2011: Refrigeration and Freezer System and Charging System replaced and improved. New custom heavy duty stainless steel ladder with seaway
side rails was installed.
Upgraded 2012: Installed new custom Lobster Yacht Davits on stern for a
tender. Modernized upper salon with new settee,
new cushions and fabrics and installed a custom movable high/low
helm seat for two persons.
Upgraded 2018: Dickerson Harbor removed all deck fittings and bow railing and painted
Emron epoxy paint and re-bedded all deck fittings and bow railing
Interior has extensive use of various shades of solid mahogany in upper and
lower salon,V-berth and head. Teak and holy sole thru out except for head
which has industrial dot rubber flooring. Teak and holy sole is partial covered
with light tan Berber rubber backed carpet manufactured to fit ( 4 years old)
- Sleeps 4 in 2 cabins and 1 in upper salon starboard settee
- Forward v-berth hull sides are covered port and starboard with Mahogany
sealing boards. Ceiling over v-berths is painted white stringers forward and white deck boards. The v-berth area has 2 storage lockers at the head of each
berth and each berth has a white and red reading lights. There are 2 full height
hanging lockers with cedar board floors and 2 storage bins under each v-berth.
Lower salon has a double berth with reading light at aft end of berth. The berth
is across from head that converts into a settee also ha 4 deep and long storage
drawers under the berth. Lower salon has Mahogany doors for privacy leading
to v-birth and upper salon. The Lower salon door has slats for ventilation with
the v-birth. Lower salon ceiling is insulated and covered with sound absorbing
fabric secured in place be varnished Mahogany stripes.
- Head with full shower and Sealand fresh water vacuum flush toilets as red and white ceiling lights.
- Full Galley in upper salon on port side
- Lower Helm Station and Hi/Lo seat on starboard side of upper salon large
- Flybridge with Bimini (Seats 7 comfortably, 2 on bench seat, 1 center full adjustable Helm chair and 4 marine all-weather chairs, Engel 12 volt / 110 volt - Ice chest to keep soft-drinks/water bottles and food cold located behind helm chair, was installed in 2013.
- Aft cockpit teak is 5/4 installed over stringers. The aft cockpit teak sole was lightly sanded in 2008 for the first time since 1978. Teak has a ways been maintained grey. Caulking is in excellent shape and leak free.
Four aft cockpit side locker have mahogany varnished locker covers. There are large starboard and port lazarette hatches which provide access to ample storage for lines and fenders.
The aft cockpit is completely covered by Bimini ( fabric new in 2017) and the cockpit is large enough for a round table and four chairs for lunch or dinner or relaxing.
- Access to teak swim platform and ladder is over stern by use of two stern mounted step.
- Davit lines to lower a tender are handled from within aft cockpit Leeway pressurized and filtered fresh water system provides hot an cold water
- for Galley and Head. Hot water is provided by a SS 9 gal engined heated hot - water and 110 volt electric element.
- NOVA COOL under counter refrigerator and freezer with two compressors 12
volt/110 volt. New system installed in 2011.
- 3 Burner and broiler Force 10 Propane 3 Burner Stove with Broiler
- Pan and griddle storage drawer under Force 10 Stove
- 4 Propane sensors and 1 solenoid and manual on/off valves at propane tank
- Domestic water pressurized and filtered
- Large and deep stainless steel sink
- Dishes and plates storage, and pressure cocker storage under sink
- 4. Drawers of for storage of kitchen and eating utensils
- 9 gallon ss hot water heater for kitchen and bathing and lower salon hot air heater
under steps. Hot water is made by engine or shore power 110 volt
- Robertson AutoPiot AP200 Master
- VHF ICOM M57
- Data Marine Depth Sounder
- Magellan GPS
- Furuno vx 2 10' GPSV (WAAS) Radar, chart Plotter with NVA Net vx 2 and
- Sirus Satellite Weather (Furuno NVA Net vx 2 new 2008)
- Fetus Bow Thruster
- 12 volt (DC) 5 AGM Batteries (3 New 2008, 2 New 2017) with parallel switches
(2 house batteries, 2 engine batteries and 1 bow thruster battery and 1 generator
70 amp AGM Starting battery new 2008
New Master Shunt 500 2008
New Master View, Battery Watch, Battery Mate 1620 2008
New Battery Cables, new battery wiring on/off switches 2008
- Master Volt - Master Charger 12 volt 70 amps new 2008
4 30 amp 50' shore power cables new 2010
2 30 amp 50' shore power yard cables
1 50 amp 30 amp splitter connector and assorted connectors
- 2 30 amp connection with screw covers starboard side inside aft cockpit
- 4 110 volt outlets rewired 2008
- New master Bass Electrical panel installed and all wiring updated 2008
- Shore power 110 volt power divided between right and left leg in new Bass panel
- Lower Salon has 1 and Upper Salon has 3 Alpenglow hi/Lo red and white switched ceiling lights in Mahogany Frames. V berth Alpenglow reading lights a LED with high low re and white switch
Deck and Hull/Cabin
- 45 lb. plow anchor, 300 ft and choir line with 12 ft of chain
- Ideal Electric Windless for rope.
- Extra heavy bow rails (new 2008) and sailboat boat lifelines from cabin back to
- aft cockpit (new 2009).
- Sea friendly Stainless Steel Flybridge ladder with wooden treads (New)
- New heavy duty Flybridge rails with canvass sides (new 2008)
- 8 adult life jackets, 1 life ring, 1 heaving line, Coast Guard flares
- Navigation lights on port and starboard side of cabin and stern light is one transom 2008.
- Mast installed 2000 for Radar Dome, GPS antennas, VHF antennas, steaming light, aft deck light, anchor light, future strobe light and radar reflector (Blipper) and lighting arrestor .
Mast is 21.7 feet above aft cockpit teak deck. Mast folds down forward at height of Flybridge rail. Mast can be used to lower motor to tender and lift a dog to Flybridge.
All cabin ports have pleated shades
Upper salon has dark teak 1" fully adjustable blinds secured
- Teak swim platform and swim ladder
- Port and Starboard forward windows open with screens, 2 aft side Cabin
Windows open with screens. Cabin side windows 2 forward fixed and 2 aft movable with screens were custom made by Freemen with anodized frames are tinted safety glass (new 2008)
- Aft cabin doors have 2 sliding screens doors
- 6 Opening ports with screens and rain shields, 2 Deck Opening Marlow Hatches
Upper salon settee and Hi/Lo 2 person helm seat with reversal back was
installed in 2013. The settee, by removing the back cushion, can serve as a single
The settee provides large air-conditioning's and compressor supply grills and
ducts for two 16,000 BTUs air-conditioning (1 new unit 2013 and 1 upgraded unit
2013). I New Hi/Lo expanding teak settee table, for four or two, with metal base was
installed. Redecoration of upper salon including barrel chair, fabrics and cushion was
competed in 2013.
- All bright work was varnished in 2017 and hull bottom was touched up in 2017.
- Leeway has always been stored inside 6 months of the year since she has been on
the Chesapeake Bay.
- Vetus 80 KBF Bow - thruster controls at upper and lower helm station
- Automatic Halon Fire Extinguisher system in engine room, manual control at
Lower Helm Station
- Full Flybridge mechanical and electrical controls
- Hydraulic wheel steering at upper and lower helm station
- Bennett trim tabs, controls at upper and lower station
- Engine room exhaust blower timed switch at lower helm
- 3 automatic Bailee pumps
- Flybridge bilge high water alarm
- Propane fume detector in bilge and behind Force 10 Stove, alarms at Galley and
- Master Volt Whisper 6 (5.6 KW) 60Hz (3800 RPM), controls at lower helm and linked to Bass Panel
- Master volt Whisper 6 generator is serviced yearly per manual by changing oil, fuel an oil filters , impeller and oil. Less than 200 hours.
This engine has a ZF transmission with a "Trolling Valve" which allows the operator to run at a slower than idle speed. This is significant for backing into a slip!