The Fleming 55 is a well-proven raised pilothouse motoryacht designed for serious cruising. Her semi-displacement hull gives her great flexibility in performance. The Fleming 55 has a range of 2,000 nautical miles at 8 knots yet, with her twin Cummins 450 hp engines, she can attain a top speed of approximately 18 knots. Maximum sustained cruising speed is around 17 knots where her moderate deadrise provides a comfortable ride unlike those boats for which speed is the main design criteria. These high speed, planing hulls require flatter sections making for a hard ride and the need to slow down in a seaway. On long passages, Fleming owners prefer a more leisurely and economical speed of 10 knots, where the typical fuel burn is slightly more than 10 gph.
The Fleming's deep keel provides protection for the running gear and stability in following seas. Because noise and vibration contribute to fatigue, Fleming has paid special attention to producing a yacht which has become the standard in the industry for its whisper quiet, smooth ride. Fundamental to this achievement is the use of Seatorque anti-vibration drive systems. Other builders either charge a heavy premium for this or do not offer it at all.
The Fleming 55 was first introduced in 1986, and since that time it has benefited from a rigorous program of evolution. There have been literally hundreds of improvements made, both big and small. While its legendary hull design remains essentially the same, today's Fleming 55 is a thoroughly modern yacht utilizing advanced technology, materials and construction methods. In 2014 hull number 235 was launched, making it one of the most successful production yachts in history.
RCD Status: The yacht conforms with the essential safety requirements of Directive 94/25EC (Recreational Craft Directive) and is categorised A – “Ocean”
- Solid GRP laminate, vinylester resin to outer laminations, epoxy barrier coat below waterline.
- Full length stringers.
- Simulated planking grooves.
- Integrally moulded guard with stainless steel rub strip.
- Full length keel with stainless steel keel shoe.
Deck and Superstructure Construction:
- Teak deck.
- All parts made from moulds.
- Cored construction with Cook gel coat.
Engine & Gearboxes:
- 2 x Cummins Diamond Performance Series diesel engines rated at 450hp each.
- Shaft drive to Twin Disc 5075A nominal 2.53:1 reduction ratio.
- Racor fuel filtration at forward manifold.
- Electric Reverso engine oil change pumps.
- Aquadrive system plus couplings at both main engines.
Maintenance & Performance:
- Engine Hours: 1613/1615 at September 2018.
- Engines serviced November 2017 @ 1609/1606 hrs.
- Generator serviced November 2017 @ 1344 hrs.
- Anodes replaced April 2018 – lift, scrub and check late August 2018.
Propulsion & Steering:
- ZF-Faster shaft ‘A’ struts.
- Ropecutters to shafts.
- Sidepower SP220TC 15.5hp electric bowthruster.
- Sidepower SP155TC 10hp electric sternthruster.
- Hynautic twin lever throttle / gear controls to pilot house, flybridge and after deck stations.
- Bow and stern thruster controls in pilot house, flybridge and after deck stations.
- Sleipner Sidepower remote pendant for wireless thruster control.
- Rudder angle indicator.
- Bennett electro-hydraulic trim tabs and indicators to both helms.
Other Mechanical Equipment:
- ABT-TRAC hydraulic fin stabilizers (upgraded head unit installed).
Fresh Water & Water Heating System:
- Back up Headhunter DC fresh water pump with changeover valve.
- Hot and cold water shower to aft cockpit.
- Fresh and salt water deckwashes to forward port locker by forward anchor.
- Heads flushing available with fresh and salt water flush (present Owner has only used fresh water flushing option).
- Forward, mid and aft section automatic bilge pumps with manual override in wheel house and in lower cabins.
- Computank fuel and water displays.
- Total capacity of 3,880 litres in 4 x tanks.
- Fuel management system with Racor filters; the main engine and generator can receive fuel from any of the tanks.
- Total capacity of 1,135 litres.
Grey/Blackwater Holding Tanks:
- Polycarbonate blackwater tanks in GRP for both heads; with Y valves.
- Tankwatch tank monitoring system with display at wheelhouse console.
Summary of Accommodation:
- 6 berths in 3 staterooms (plus occasional pilot berth in wheelhouse).
- We note new mattresses to all berths in current Ownership, and replacement of all interior upholstery.
- Master cabin forward with en-suite shower/heads with blond granite surround. 2 hanging lockers and overhead escape hatch. Custom sprung mattress and Ultrasuede headboard (replaced with new in current Ownership). Safe concealed under Master cabin mattress.
- Port cabin with double berth (converted from original twin berths) and hanging lockers.
- Starboard cabin with upper and lower berths, headboards and hanging locker.
- Guest heads and shower to starboard with blond granite surround:
- Teak handrail to accommodation passageway.
- Saloon with L-shaped settee in cream leather, hi-lo teak dining/coffee table (has been adjusted to make more comfortable for eating at), wooden Venetian window blinds, teak overhead handrail, access hatches to engine room.
- Galley with Black Galaxy granite worktops with bullnose edging.
- Pilot house with Stidd helmseat with stainless steel pedestal, in white leather, pilothouse seating covered in cream leather, adjustable teak table, privacy door between pilothouse and saloon, wet hanging locker, internal stairs to flybridge, chart table with flexible chart light, demisters for forward facing windows.
- Teak deck with extra teak on anchor platform.
- Teak rail capping.
- Teak on raised seating.
- Deck lockers forward; either side of anchor platform.
- Hatch to forepeak with PVC chain tube and watertight collision bulkhead.
- Fresh water wash inside foredeck locker.
- Salt water wash inside foredeck locker.
- Portuguese bridge bulwark doors port and starboard.
- Twin helm-seat, Venturi screen.
- Teak to seating area.
- Beige seating and table covers.
- Double helm seat, L shaped settee and seating in beige/white stripe Sunbrella fabric.
- Flush lazarette hatches with hinges and drainage gutters.
- GRP swim platform with teak decking.
- Stainless steel telescopic swim ladder, with access ladder to flybridge.
- Starboard side locker with storage and aft control station.
- Removable carbon passarelle and mounting steps for aft access.
Anchoring & Mooring Equipment:
- Lofrans Falkon 24V DC, 1500watt windlass with pendant control and remotes in pilothouse and flybridge, on forward anchor platform, with stainless steel anchor and chain.
Covers, Canvas & Cushions:
- Beige bimini cover with stainless steel tubing on flybridge.
- White mesh window covers for pilot house screens, doors and aft windows.
Tender & Outboard:
- Zodiac 31 RIB R-340 with 20hp Mariner 4-stroke engine (includes depth gauge) on chocks with canvas cover.
- Nautical Structures 800lb long-reach davit with power rotation (mounted to starboard aft boat deck).
- 2 x Brompton folding bicycles (stored in bags to aft port lazarette space).
- 6-person liferaft (new 2018) – first service due 04/2021 – housed in cradle & cover on port fly deck wing.
- See-Me active radar enhancer.
- McMurdo 406 GPS EPIRB.
- Seafire FM-200 fire suppression to machinery space (serviced June 2018).
- Dry powder manual extinguishers through accommodation (serviced June 2018).