KAHU was originally built in 1979 for the Royal New Zealand Navy. Known formerly as "HMNZA Manawanui" she served as a dive tender and participated in the exploration and salvage work of the MS Mikhail Lermontov in March 1986. In 1988, she was recommissioned as a training vessel for the Royal NZ Naval College and renamed KAHU, the Maori name for the harrier hawk. Kahu served until 2009 when she was decommissioned and sold as a pleasure craft.
KAHU's new owners embarked on a major 2 year refit with Fitzroy Yachts of New Zealand, extending her length from 92 to 122 feet. The bulwarks were raised up forward and the whole superstructure was replaced. They added a sewage treatment plant, water makers, stabilizers, bow and stern thrusters, an anchoring system, and upgraded all of the electronics. Her fuel capacity was increased, now giving her an 8,000 mile range.
KAHU has traveled the world many times over. She is built to handle light ice but also has a shallow enough draft to travel the Bahamas, as her current Owners do at every opportunity. Where will Kahu take you?
There are 5 Staterooms for Guests on the Lower Deck including (1) King Master aft, (2) Queen VIP Staterooms to port, (1) Full Guest Stateroom to starboard, (1) Twin Guest Stateroom to starboard. In addition, there is a Classroom/Study to starboard which could easily be converted to an additional Stateroom. Forward, there is a Crew Cabin with bunks accommodating 4 Crew. On the Bridge Deck, there is also a forward office with a Fold Out Double for additional travelers.
Recent Updates and repairs. November 2017 until February 2018
- Complete bottom Job down to metal primer and 2 coats of antifoul.
- Service all through hull fittings and values.
- Installed new raw water strainers to water maker and A/C.
- Engine room bilges painted.
- Complete rebuilds of both Main Engines and both generators including new pistons, rings, bearings, rebuild turbo's, heads rebuilt, Starter motors, Injectors, heat exchanges, exhaust bellows. Now 80 hours on Main engines.
- Replace new air compressor.
- Replace Air Blowers and service A/C units.
- Replace Throttle control on tender.
- Replace and rebuild fresh water pumps.
- Rebuild both Fire pumps and Black and Grey Water pumps.
- Paint hull including modification to Stern.
- Paint bulwarks and gunnels.
- Carpet and lounge professionally cleaned.
- New Entertainment equipment including fire and direct TV installed in 2 staterooms as well as main saloon.
- New Furuno plotter/sounder.
- Complete refit to interior including new carpet, Lounges and main saloon furniture. Hydraulic system serviced/Tested including new oil, filters and noise damper.