AMANTE is a great example of this popular Frers design built to high standards by Hylas yachts. She benefits from owners who have invested considerable time and energy into the equipment specifications, design modifications and interior décor/styling, all of which combine to make a magnificent yacht.
Since her launch in 2007, AMANTE has proven to be a fast, safe and extremely comfortable world cruiser with an excellent four-cabin layout ideal for both private (in this case) or charter use. Under her original ownership and always well cared for, the yacht has enjoyed continual upgrades and improvements as noted herein, with recent work undertaken in Greece and in Italy. The vessel has RCD / EU certification, category A.
Three en-suite owner/guest cabins, plus additional en-suite crew/guest cabin. Finely crafted solid teak joinery work finished to a high level throughout the interior, including all flush-mounted raised-panel or louvered cabinet doors and burled fiddle inlays. Cabin soles are satin-finished teak with ebony inlays (stripped and refinished 2017) with custom locking mechanisms. Head and shower areas are all painted white Awlgrip and feature Corian vanity tops, solid Corian sinks and heated towel racks. Hanging lockers are lined with cedar. OceanAir hatch screens/blinds throughout, with motorized shades in main salon. Upholstery is custom leather, with custom mattresses, tasteful bedding, towels and other décor throughout. Crew covers and sole covers.
FORWARD GUEST STATEROOM:
Beginning forward is a private stateroom with a centerline queen berth, seat and significant storage space including two large hanging lockers. There are two hull portlights and a deck hatch. An en-suite head is forward, along with a shower stall shared with the port guest cabin.
PORT GUEST STATEROOM:
Forward of the main salon and to port is the second guest cabin, featuring a generous double berth (new mattress 2017), hanging locker and multiple drawers. There are three opening portholes and a deck hatch. A head and shower stall is across the passageway, which can be closed off at night to provide en-suite access.
AMANTE’s main salon is quite spacious for a vessel of this size, due in part to her generous 18’ beam. A large L-settee is to port, with a beautiful burled table that expands as needed to accommodate six comfortably, and can be raised or lowered by electric lift. Two custom chairs are inboard, with anchors for tie-down while underway. To starboard is a full-length settee with an up/down flat screen TV hidden from view. The entire space feels light and open due to numerous hatches, white-trimmed deck portlights and two hull windows.
Aft and to starboard is a U-shaped navigation station with easy access to the cockpit. There are built-in backlit switch panels, navigation instruments, a comfortable pedestal chair, plus remote control panels for the watermaker, furnace, fuel usage and tank monitors. The workspace also includes a chart table (refinished 2016) with custom storage for computer.
Further aft and to port is a long walk-through galley that is fully equipped for comfortable living at sea or on anchor. There are several well-thought-out storage lockers for glass, dinnerware and appliances, including a full pantry. Some of the many features include:
- Granite countertops (inboard galley counter, sinks and faucets replaced Oct 2015)
- Twin Frigoboat stainless steel front-opening DC refrigerator units (can be used as freezer units)
- Frigoboat top-opening DC freezer compartment
- Novacool beverage cooler/refrigerator adjacent to companionway for convenient day use
- U-line icemaker
- Force 10 propane stove/oven with granite cover
- GE Advantium convection/microwave oven
- Fisher & Paykel dishwasher drawer
- Broan trash compactor
- Espresso machine
- Instant hot water dispenser
- Full complement of dishes, glasses, cutlery, galleyware etc.
- Full-sized stacked Miele stainless washer and dryer units at aft end
- (6) Opening portholes for exceptional light and ventilation
- 230v Euro-style outlets added to galley in 2016
- Galley cabinets were refinished in 2016
CREW QUARTERS/GUEST CABIN:
A passageway leads aft along the starboard side to the owner’s cabin, with a roomy fourth cabin outboard – quite suitable for crew or guests --with over/under berths. Private head and shower stall. There are two opening portholes, plus one in the shower.
The owner's private stateroom is located aft and features a large queen-size berth on centreline (new mattress 2017), with a bureau to port and seat/desk area to starboard. Extended beam is carried well aft to create a spacious, open cabin accentuated by twin hull portlights, a deck hatch and six opening portholes. A private head with separate shower stall and opening porthole is found along the port side, with a passageway forward to the laundry and galley that can be opened when desired.
AMANTE features a customized electrical system, whereby all AC functions are powered by multiple heavy-duty inverters, drawing from a large 24 volt battery bank that is charged directly from shore power or via a DC generator. In addition, all key systems – refrigeration, hydraulics, navigation, lighting, water, waste pumps, water heater, heads and water-maker are DC-based. This provides two primary advantages: universal shore power compatibility around the world, and the ability to run “quiet ship” for extended periods of time. Features include:
- 24 Volt DC electrical system with custom panels and full meters for managing current flow
- (2) 32 amp/240 volt shore inlets (both bow and stern) with multiple adapters
- (2) Victron isolation transformers able to handle shore power anywhere in the world
- (4) Victron 100 amp/24 volt battery chargers with balancer added 2016
- (6) Victron 3 kW inverters to power all AC functions (with the exception of dive compressor and air conditioning, which runs off the generator)
- Fischer Panda 15 kW/24 volt DC generator, new in 2011 (1,800 hours, 3/2019) with battery monitor added, 2016
- Large house bank with Victron AGM 12 volt batteries, total 1,470 amp-hrs (all new spring, 2017)
- Separate battery banks for engine, generator, electronics and bow thruster
- Bow thruster battery new spring 2016
- Battery for electronics new spring 2017
- Balmar 220 amp alternator in addition to standard 70 amp (new 2014)
- Interior lights and dimmers retrofitted with LED lighting summer 2015
- TV/phone inlet
- Numerous shore cables and European adapters
- Electrical bonding system, including two 3” copper strips, bow to stern each side
- 12-volt plugs in cockpit and at nav station
- Cabin fans at each berth and in main salon and galley
- Exhaust blowers for all heads
- Central vacuum system with toe-kick sweep inlets
- Vimar light switches with dimmers throughout
- Custom monitor panels for easy fuel and water tank level management
- Rope accent and foot lighting throughout, including cockpit
- Multi-color selectable courtesy lights below
- Twin underwater lights at transom
- Transom stair lighting
- LED navigation lights
Solid hand-laid Twaron-reinforced fiberglass hull using vinylester resins and isophthalic gel coat with epoxy barrier coating. There is a watertight collision bulkhead aft of forepeak locker.
Topsides are Awlgripped in “Stars & Stripes Blue” with clear coat, gold cove stripe, white boot stripe and black bottom. Bottom was stripped in 2017, with new paint, March, 2019. There is a teak rub-rail with stainless striker and (6) Lexan topside windows. Centerboard configuration offers minimum draft of 8”-6” with board up and a maximum draft of 12-’4” with board down.
Deck is fiberglass with balsa core, white gelcoat and molded-in tan nonskid. "Scooped" transom with molded-in steps, swim platform and built-in swim ladder. There is a transom garage door that opens hydraulically for easy access to extensive storage space with custom shelving, along with large corner lazarette lockers each side, accessible on the aft deck. On the foredeck, there is a deep forepeak locker with line hangers and separate split chain locker forward.
- Teak toe rails are bare, with rounded edges for easy maintenance
- All stainless deck hardware including grab rails, (6) stainless hatches, numerous opening portholes and dorade vents, double anchor rollers, genoa tracks, mooring cleats, chocks etc.
- Stainless bow protection plate (added 2017)
- Stainless deck fairlead shields (added 2015)
One of the many highlights of AMANTE’s design is the spacious cockpit, with twin helm stations for easy access from the aft deck and great visibility while steering. The cockpit seating was customized by the owner to maximize seating for ten comfortably around a beautiful, varnished 6’ teak table with built-in drink cooler.
Teak in cockpit replaced Jan 2017. The twin helms are designed for short-handed sailing with all sail controls within easy reach. Each station can be engaged independently and features customized back-lit panels (2009).
Winches (being re-chromed winter 2017-18):
- Antal W 80-3 hydraulic self-tailing primary winches
- Antal W 66 hydraulic self-tailing mainsheet and main/spinnaker halyard winches
- Antal W 66 hydraulic self-tailing staysail/runner winches
- Antal W 44 self-tailing traveler control winches
- Antal W 52 self-tailing genoa and staysail halyard winches at mast
Remote wireless controls for furlers, main/spinnaker halyards and transom garage door.