Often imitated but never duplicated this original series of Explorers from Marlow Yachts presented the cruising community with an opportunity to own a boat that can be operated by a couple yet offers all the comforts and amenities of much larger yachts which require crew.
TINKERTOY is hull 16 of the Marlow Explorer 65C/70E series of yachts, the most popular of their builds so far. One of the second generation of this series, she was built in Marlow's Tainan City, Taiwan facilities. When introduced at the 2002 Ft. Lauderdale Boat Show, the 70E immediately became the industry benchmark for larger, personal size yachts by offering the interior volume and accommodations of an 80’ boat in a smaller, more manageable, size. It presented an opportunity for a couple to cruise with or without crew.
By the time TINKERTOY was built in 2004, Marlow had taken the knowledge acquired from the first 12 builds of this series, plus the input from their owners, both current and potential, to create generation two of the 65/70 Explorers and she is the 3rd build of that generation. At the owner of TINKERTOY'S request lighter woods were combined with the traditional teak interior on the stateroom deck giving her a larger, more open feel below while maintaining the elegance for which Marlow had become known. This deck has generous accommodations for 6 owners and guests in 3 comfortable staterooms. The main deck is home to a voluminous salon for relaxing and entertaining. Just steps up from the salon is the large pilothouse with center helm console and L-Settee to port. The gourmet galley is also in the PH aft of the helm.
TINKERTOY has many other custom features throughout not the least of which is the separate Master Stateroom entrance making the master suite totally private from the rest of the stateroom deck. In 2014/2015 she underwent a $500,000.00+ major refit including full exterior paint with Awlgrip T-115 and 2 finish coats of Awlcraft polyurethane topcoat. All her teak decks were replaced and her nonskid decks were renewed. The list goes on and on. Her current owner bought her in May 2016 and continued the tradition established by her 3 previous owners of constant maintenance and upgrades including 2 new air conditioning chillers in 2016 and a new center console tender w/60hp four stroke OB. In addition several appliance were just replaced.
TINKERTOY has been cruised the majority of her life at 9-10 knots or less (approx. 16% load) therefore the total gallons of fuel burned by each engine is a fraction of the fuel burn at the normal high cruise (80% load) allowed by the manufacturer. This should give TINKERTOY an effective engine hour equivalent of approximately 2000 hours of use or about 20% of the life of her 800hp CATS 3406E diesels. All her machinery is up to date and her engine services are current.
TINKERTOY is your best opportunity to own one of these legendary cruising yachts in almost new condition at a fraction of the new build cost and without the 1 to 2 year wait. Her condition is that of a 2 or 3 year old boat yet she is priced below any other Marlow 70E currently available.
• (1) 20 kW Northern Lights generator w/sound shields (5,106 hours 08/02/18) and (1) 12 kW Northern Lights
generator w/sound shields (4,177 hours 08/02/18)
• 110V/220V AC electrical system
• 12V/24V DC electrical system
• (4) Lifeline 8D AGM batteries, service bank
• (2) Lifeline 8D AGM batteries, thrusters
• (2) Lifeline 8D AGM batteries, generators
• (2) Lifeline 8D AGM batteries, main engines
• Newmar Phase Three 25 amp, 12V battery charger
• Newmar Phase Three, 40 amp, 24V battery charger
• Xantrex 4kW inverter/120-amp battery charger
• (6) battery cut-off switches
• (2) battery parallel switches
• (4) 50-amp shore power inlets on Glendinning Cablemaster, (2) forward, (2) aft
• Central bonding system
• Guest galvanic isolators
• (3) Lumitec SeaBlazeX LED transom underwater lights (2015)
Engine Room and Mechanical Equipment
• Twin Caterpillar 3406E diesel engines w/port hrs. 4,103 (08/02/18) and starboard hours 4,105 (08/02/18) (4,000
service completed in May 2016 at 3,950 hours)
• ZF 350A reduction gears w/2.636:1 ratios
• Naiad stabilizers w/MultiSea II controls
• Side Power 20 hp electric bow & stern thrusters
• Micro Commander electronic engine controls
• Marine Air chilled water reverse cycle air conditioning system, 2 staged chillers,
96,000 BTU total (chillers replaced 2016)
• Sea Recovery Aqua Matic 60 gph watermaker w/EZ start (2014)
• (2) duplex Racor 1000 fuel filters w/vacuum gauges for each engine
• (2) Racor 500 fuel filters w/vacuum gauges for each generator
• Walker Air Sep crankcase ventilation system
• Dripless shaft seals
• Dripless rudder shaft seals
• Aquadrive couplings & soft engine mounts
• 3" Aquamet 22 stainless steel propeller shafts
• (2) 5 blade 38" X 37" Nibral propellers
• Polished stainless-steel engine beds
• FM 200, 97 lb. fixed engine room fire suppression system
• Oil change system for engines, transmissions, generators
• Bennett trim tabs
• SeaStar hydraulic steering system
• Sealand VacuFlush sanitation system
• Macerator pump
• Sea Chest centralized raw water intake system
• (4) 24V automatic bilge pumps
• Emergency manual bilge pump
• High water bilge alarm
• Flojet AC fresh water pump
• Headhunter 110V DC & 24V DC fresh water pump
• PJR drinking water pump
• (2) sump pumps
• 100-gallon stainless steel dedicated drinking water tank
• 400-gallon stainless steel fresh water tank
• Torrid 30-gallon stainless steel electric water heater
• NuTone central vacuum system
• Power System 110V air compressor
• Engine room lead/foam sound insulation
• 220V high volume engine room blowers
• 24V bilge blowers
• Proprietary baffled air inlet system
• Watertight engine room door w/inspection port
• Varnished teak bilge grating
• AC & DC engine room lighting
• CCTV camera
Hull and Construction
Marlow Yachts uses the most modern materials and construction techniques including resin infusion, Dupont Kevlar, Vinylester and epoxy resins with high density core materials, resulting in a hull, deck & superstructure with more strength and less weight than possible with conventional methods.
While the foundation is a conventional semi-displacement form, Marlow utilizes proprietary "Velocijet Strut Keel" technology. This system uses twin strut keels that surround the propeller shafts in hydrodynamic fairings resulting in improved efficiency, tracking and stability. They also offer running gear protection, and modest propeller pockets keep draft to just 4 feet, 5 inches.
Free-standing umbrella on flybridge.
While every effort was made to list all included equipment on board TINKERTOY there are some personal belongings aboard the yacht that are excluded from the sale They include but are not limited to the lamps and pictures in the master stateroom. Prospective purchasers should assume any item not specifically mentioned herein will not convey at closing. Please refer any items in question to the listing broker.