Hull, Deck & Superstructure Construction:
- The hull, internal structure and deck are constructed of carbon sandwich.
- In the forward slamming area Corecell is used, and the rest of the yacht is kevlar honeycomb.
- Sprint resin infusion holds the structure together with maximum strength and minimum weight.
Keel & Rudder:
- Canting keel to +/- 40 degrees with 5 degrees of incline axis.
- Twin forward daggerboards, inboard triangulation.
- Twin fixed rudders – composite stocks.
- Twin 800 litre ballast tanks under cockpit sides at transom.
- Single centerline 1,100 litre ballast tank forward of mast.
- Keel and bulb manufactured by Iron Brothers.
- Canting mechanism and bearings from Cariboni.
- 99.4’ / 30.30m rig height.
- 7’ / 2.14m bowsprit length.
- The deck-stepped mast has a tube length of 28.4m (98’) and is built from High Modulus Carbon Fibre.
- It was designed in-house by Southern Spars using the DesMan and RigCalc software packages, integrated with the North Sails design software.
- Structurally, there are 202 pieces of Carbon Fibre pre-preg in each mast tube, with an additional 52 patches of structural reinforcement.
- The Volvo Ocean 65 sports a 7.68m racing box boom again built from high modulus carbon and weighing 68kgs.
- Its deep section provides maximum stiffness to weight efficiency and provides extra downwind sail area.
- With internal locks at the outboard end of the boom, reefing is made efficient for the crew to manage in strong winds.
- The rigging consists of nine separate stays and is constructed from intermediate modulus carbon fibre, with main stays that have a 26-ton minimum break load.
- The ECsix carbon rigging is four times lighter than comparative nitronic steel rigging.
- It has a multistrand construction based on a bundle of small rods for safety, durability, longevity and flexibility in the toughest conditions.
- Twin topmast backstays and checkstays with deflectors.
- Primaries HARKEN B1111.3 ST.
- Mainsheet HARKEN B990.3 ST.
- Driven Pit HARKEN B990.3.
- Runners HARKEN B990.3 ST .
- Pit HARKEN B65.2 STR.
- Pedestals HARKEN MX 2 Spd Carbon.
- 2 x Mainsails.
- 3 x J1.
- 3 x J2.
- 2 x GS.
- 1 x SJ.
- 3 x A0.
- 3 x A3.
- 2 x Fro.
- 163 m2 mainsail area.
- 133 m2 working jib area.
- 468 m2 (mainsail and masthead code 0).
- 296 m2 (mainsail and working jib).
- 578 m2 (mainsail and A3).
- 1 x Workshop container, including tools and spare parts.
- One storage container with cradle, sails, and running rigging.
Anchoring & Mooring Equipment:
- Equipped to cover every possible emergency with the satellite communications, Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons or EPIRBs, Personal Location Beacons or PLBs, Search and Rescue Transponders (SARTs), and hand held VHF radios along with aviation frequency emergency radios.
- There is also a long list of other safety equipment that includes life rafts, Jon Buoys for man overboard recovery, extensive medical equipment, flares, a man overboard alerting and positioning system and of course, lifejackets and harnesses.