LIBERTY is one of only three cruisers built by John Trump & Sons in Annapolis, MD as Sereno, #368. Her present owners purchased her in 2012 and with the help of their very experienced captain, have meticulously restored her throughout. She is a rare find in a beautiful classic Trumpy: perfectly suited for inland waters and coastal cruising in style, having the ambiance and elegance of a by-gone era but the amenities and condition of a contemporary yacht.
Starting all the way aft on the main deck, one enters the aft deck through wing doors to port and starboard. The aft deck on LIBERTY has been furnished and refinished to create a nautical yet very comfortable area. Sliding plexiglass windows to port and starboard and roll up Isinglass curtains across the back provide an ideal place for dining or relaxing in fresh air in good weather or shelter when needed.
Features of the aft deck are:
Built-in settee across the aft end
White hi-lo dining table with drop leaves
(4) White bamboo easy chairs, each with matching side table and a lamp, blue indoor/outdoor carpeting and navy-blue cushions on settee and chairs.
Access sliding panel in aft, starboard bulwarks which leads to a bi-fold teak and stainless steel transom ladder to composite swim platform below. Swim platform is teak colored, very wide, and superb for boarding on and off the tender, putting on dive gear, or just resting after a swim.
Hatch under settee to lazarette
Forward bulkhead painted high gloss white with varnished teak double doors to salon. Doors have lower removable panels with screens and upper glass panes.
Wing doors to side decks – port & starboard painted high gloss white.
White overhead with vanished teak athwartships battens and LED 110V lights.
Lazarette under Aft Deck Settee:
Bauer Junior air compressors
Danforth 80# storm anchor
Immediately forward of the aft deck through double doors is the main salon. Mahogany paneling here has been stripped and refinished as has the original Trumpy built-in furniture.
• New painted white overhead with varnished teak battens.
• Original, refinished built-in secretary in the starboard aft corner and adjacent to the
• Blue and white upholstered wing chairs with small table and lamp between each
pair of chairs.
• Two-seater sofa at forward end of salon.
• Large mirror above sofa across the forward bulkhead.
• Air cooled portable AC unit concealed in built-in cabinet next to couch.
• Two large windows (port & starboard) roll down, “kerfort type” with cranks.
• Small mahogany cabinet with drawer and lamp next to sofa.
• Continuous roll down white shades on all windows with valances
• Blue wall to wall carpet
• Original varnished mahogany Balustrade around steps leading down to the
master and guest staterooms below (stairway at port aft end of main salon).
• LED 110V overhead lights
Below and all the way aft is the Master Stateroom with Queen berth and ensuite head with
• Queen berth with new Tempur-Pedic® mattress. Drawers under berth.
• Night stands with lamps either side of berth.
• Overhead fan.
• White louvered sliding doors over dogged port lights. (Two port lights each side).
• Seat with cushion port side.
• Deck/vanity with stool starboard side.
• Vizio flat screen TV on forward bulkhead.
• Full-length hanging lockers to port and starboard forward
• Escape hatch over berth
• Ensuite head with sink, vanity, new Raritan Marine Elegance fresh water head and
separate shower with curtain.
A companionway leads from the master stateroom forward to the two twin berth guest
staterooms, one to port and one to starboard. These staterooms share a head (port side along
the companionway with a large shower, sink in vanity, mirror over sink, new Raritan head, port
light with white louvered sliding doors. Simulated deck linoleum flooring.
Also in the companionway are:
• Deep storage closet – port side.
• Linen locker – starboard side.
• 12V Overhead lights.
• Mirror with accent shelf at forward end of the companionway.
• Beige wall-to-wall carpeting.
Guest Stateroom, Starboard
• Twin berths with drawers underneath each/with blue spread and sham.
• New Tempur-Pedic® mattresses.
• Built-in night bureau between berths with mirror above.
• 110V Lights on wall sconces over each berth.
• Overhead 110V LED ceiling lights.
• Two opening ports behind sliding louvered doors.
• Full-length hanging locker with original ventilation screen.
• Full-length mirror on forward bulkhead.
Guest Stateroom, Port
Identical to starboard except:
• Navy blue and white spreads
• Built-in bureau forward and outboard
• Full-length mirror on forward bulkhead
A varnished mahogany and glass door leads from the forward starboard corner of the Main Salon to the Wheelhouse. The Wheelhouse has all of the charm of a traditional Trumpy but with the condition and amenities of a contemporary yacht.
• Varnished traditional spoked wheel
• Teak parquet sole – refinished in Spring of 2017
• Garmin 7215 color 17” screen monitor with radar, chart plotter, depth and speed, AIS
• Garmin autopilot
• VHF radio
• Morse dual lever controls
• Bench seat on aft bulkhead with 2 deep file drawers and 3 chart drawers underneath
• (2) Foot switches in sole for Simco electric bow thruster
• Port and starboard doors with screens to side decks
• Electric opening center windshield (one of three front windows) and two smaller fixed side windows to port and starboard
• Electrical panel for AC and DC to port of helm
• Switches for inverters
• Stainless steel binnacle with compass
• Teak receptacle for binoculars at console
• Clock and barometer (mounted on aft bulkhead)
Forward Lower Salon/Dining Salon
A doorway leads from the starboard forward end of the wheelhouse down three steps to the lower salon. This area has been converted into an additional seating area/TV room but could easily be used again as a dining salon. It features:
• Original Mahogany paneling.
• Handsome original Trumpy sideboard on aft bulkhead with TV (concealed by a painting) mounted above. Small
lamps on brushed nickel wall sconces on either side of the painting.
• Futon couch in front of forward windows (3 forward).
• Portable domestic AC unit in custom-built mahogany cabinet.
• Original Trumpy display cabinet with glass doors mounted over AC on forward bulkhead.
• (4) Kerfort-type working windows with cranks (2) to port and (2) to starboard. (2) fixed windows - 1 port,
1 starboard. White continuous shades on side windows with swags.
• Soft patch in floor for removal of machinery.
Four steps down from the lower salon is the galley. The galley retains its classic appearance but has been completely refurbished: new wiring, all appliances serviced or renewed, walls freshly painted, trim and cabinets re-varnished and new blue and white asphalt tile flooring. Overhead longitudinal beams boxed in with teak molding/trim.
• Original stainless steel Star Metal double door refrigerator with freezer below. Serviced in 2015.
• Original Whirlpool 4-burner electric stove with oven refurbished
• New Panasonic microwave/convection oven
• Deep stainless steel sink
• Stainless steel counter
• Ample shelves, storage cabinets and drawers
• Hinged varnished teak serving table
• (4) Round port lights (two each side)
• Large glass and teak opening hatch overhead
A door leads from the starboard side of the galley to the crew’s quarter forward.
Crew quarters include:
• Port side, upper berth captain’s cabin
• Starboard side, upper berth crew cabin
• Port upper berth cabin starboard and forward
• Separate shower to starboard
• Head with sink forward
• Avanti drink refrigerator
• Premium icemaker
• Large overhead companionway hatch to foredeck
Engine Room and Mechanical Equipment
A doorway leads aft from the galley (port side) into the immaculate engine room. Here is where a major percentage of the money spent during LIBERTY’s refit is evident.
GM 6V-71-N engines taken out of the boat in 2016, rebuilt and refinished by East Coast Diesel in 2016
80-Hours to May 15, 2017 since rebuild
Very reliable and economical: 5 – 7 gph at 9.6 knots at 1300 rpm
Morse dual lever controls
Stainless steel shafts dial indicated in 2014
Bronze 3-bladed props
All new bilge pumps within last two years
New Oberdorfer AC water pump
New oil change system
New exhaust blankets
(2) A.C. Compressors for master, galley, and one stateroom
(2) Additional portable air cooled, self-contained units for main salon and dining salon
(inexpensive, easy to replace and low maintenance)
Original chain and link manual steering: New cables and pulleys in 2015
(2) Aluminum fuel tanks – 275 gallons each with sight gauges
(2) Aluminum water tanks – 250 gallon each
(2) Holding tanks – 85 gallons total
Onan 20 kW generator purchased used in August 2016 with 1,400 hours. Approximately 70 hours additional hours to May 15, 2017
(2) 50-Amp shore cords with electrical hook ups port and starboard
Alternators on both main engines
(2) 4,000-watt (each) inverters
(1) Bank 12V engine starting
(1) 12V generator starting
(5) 12V house – maintenance free
LED lighting throughout
12V DC lighting
Construction and Features
Original canvas over wood deck – glassed over and painted white.
Top of house – rebuilt and glassed over by Moore Marine in Riveria Beach, FL in 2014.
Bottom re-planked with long leaf yellow pine on oak frames, fastened with bronze fasteners and new pillow blocks at Moore Marine in 2014.
Topsides painted white Awlgrip in 2015.
Teak cap rail and hand rails – 11 coats, total, and new coat applied every 6 months.
New Blue Sea Hawk® bottom paint, zincs, and new oak worm shoe in April 2017.
(6) Portlights per side with newly restored stainless steel “eyebrows”.
(7) Round port lights per side finished with gold leaf and red accent surrounds.
Covered side decks with white overheads and varnished teak battens.
Varnished mahogany transom with gold leaf name and hailing port.
Painted wood dunnage boxes, port and starboard sides
Large crew companionway hatch.
Glass and teak hatch over galley/crew area with protection bars.
Ideal windlass with rope and chain capstans
40’ Chain and 250’ new rode
(2) Danforth anchors: (1) 50 lb. on bow; (1) 80 lb. in lazarette.
(6) Stainless steel cleats – 3 per side: (1) bow, (1) new collapsible amidships, (1) stern.
MarQuipt Tide Ride ladder.
(3) Large fenders
(8) ¾” Nylon dock lines
A ladder leads from the starboard side deck to the hard top above.
“Dummy” stack with storage
Dual air horns
Avon 12’ RIB tender in chalks (2010) with Nissan 8 hp outboard
Flares in flare kit
Life jackets – (2) per stateroom, plus (3) for crew
Winslow 6-man life raft
EPIRB (mounted on stack)
Portable fire extinguishers for every cabin
(2) CO2 canisters for engine room – new in 2015 – (1) 30 lb. and (1) 40 lb.