The Rival 36 is the last and perhaps the most complete of all the Peter Brett designed Rivals and some 78 were launched until the mid 1990’s. RIVAL MISCHIEF is a relatively late example from 1991 and benefits from both the shallower scheel keel option and the more versatile MKI interior layout.
Kept in class at Lloyd’s 100A1 from launch until her final inspection in January 2005, there can be no finer demonstration of her excellent condition than this. The Lloyd’s inspections are arguably more in-depth than a pre-purchase survey and to stay in class, all recommendation must be followed.
RIVAL MISCHIEF is probably the best example of a Rival 36 you will see thanks to her numerous recent upgrades and virtually all new systems. Her owner is a very experienced yachtsman, who insists on perfection as far as practically possible. Rival Mischief demonstrates this throughout, and no expense has been spared in preparing her for the elements.
RCD Status: As a yacht constructed and placed in use within EU waters before the 16th June 1998, it is our understanding that she is therefore exempt from the essential safety requirements of Directive 94/25EC (Recreational Craft Directive)
Scantlings and materials used in the construction of RIVAL MISCHIEF are to Lloyd’s Register approved drawings. From build until January 2006, RIVAL MISCHIEF was also fully in class with Lloyd’s 100A1 which requires the yacht to be maintained to an ‘as new’ standard and involves frequent detailed survey inspections. This 100A1 compliance has also necessitated numerous upgrades over standard Rival Bowman specifications (Last classification survey carried out January 2005 with no faults reported).
· Hand laid GRP with a combination of CSM (chopped strand matt) and woven rovings with thicker CSM in keel area.
· 15mm marine plywood bulkheads primed and glassed in with CSM.
· Foam-cored CSM stringers Plywood & CSM engine beds Double thickness gelcoats used above and below the waterline.
· White gel coat finish with gold cover line Hull epoxy treated from new with an additional 3 coats of International Gelshield epoxy applied in 2000 to manufacturer's recommendations.
· Coppercoat antifoul (2014)
Deck, Superstructure and Cockpit Construction:
· CSM foredeck and superstructure with 12mm balsa core and double thickness gelcoats
· Woven rovings used in mast support area with plywood pads in way of deck fittings.
· CSM side decks with Parana pine stringers and double thickness gelcoats.
· Off-white gelcoat with moulded non-slip
· Hand-laid teak deck Teak laid cockpit seating and cockpit sole
· The deck is bonded to the hull shelf with epoxy resin
· Raised teak-capped bulwarks with recessed fairleads
Keel & Rudder:
· Scheel keel.
· Single lead casting set in sand and resin and glassed over with CSM.
· Foam filled CSM rudder blade with double thickness gelcoat.
· 30mm stainless steel rudder stock with white metal bearing and stuffing box.
Engine & Gearboxes:
· Yanmar 3YM30AE, 30hp marine diesel engine, brand new 2015, 15.5 hrs. run to date
· Fresh water cooling system
· 3:1 Reverse reduction mechanical gearbox
· Single lever throttle/gear control on helm pedestal
Maintenance & Performance:
· Engine serviced and under full manufacturer warranty.
· Cruising speed: approx 6.5 knots
· Maximum speed: approx 7 knots
· Fuel consumption – approx 2 litres per hour at cruising speed (approx. 500Nm range)
Propulsion & Steering:
· Whitlock Cobra 5R helm pedestal with leather covered stainless steel wheel
· Monitor stainless steel windvane steering system
· 25mm stainless steel prop shaft, new 2015
· 3-bladed Darglow Featherstream feathering prop, new 2009, serviced 2015.
· Bronze stern tube, holding a white metal bearing
· Cutlass bearing, replaced 2015
· PPS Dripless seal, new 2015.
· Ambassador Marine rope cutter
· 12vDC domestic systems with 220vAC from shorepower
· 1x Varta 12vDC 60Ah engine battery, new 2015
· 2x Varta 12vDC 110Ah domestic batteries joined in parallel to supply 200Ah, new 2015.
· Techpro 3-stage 25Amp/12v battery charger (2000) for charging via shorepower 240v shore power supply with earth leakage trip and circuit breakers
· 12vDC 100Amp engine-mounted alternator - 2015
· 220vAC shore power system
· 13amp 240v sockets and 12v sockets (above and below decks)
· Voltmeter and ammeter on AC/DC panel.
· Bestek 1000w 12v/240v Inverter
Fresh Water & Water Heating System:
· Pressurised fresh water system via 12vDC pressure pump
· Water heated by engine driven 22 litre calorifier, new 2015, with 8 litre accumulator or via 240v immersion heater from shorepower. Fresh water manual foot pump in galley.
· Fresh water mixer tap at galley with additional manual fresh water tap and foot-pump operated fresh water tap.
· Henderson MkV manual bilge pump located in cockpit.
· Henderson Mk V bilge pump accessible from chart table
· Rule 2000 Electric Emergency bilge pump in bilge, with automatic and manual control.
· ITT Jabsco marine toilet, new 2015, connected to 2-way valve (for discharge to holding tank or outboard)
· Pressurised hot & cold water supply to heads with shower-head attachment 12v electric shower sump pump draining outboard.
· All wastes and seawater pipes are reinforced PVC.
· Freshwater pipes are non-toxic polythene and all flexible pipe connections are with stainless steel hose clips.
· Flo-Jet 12v electric deck wash system (fitted 2004)
· Blakes bronze seacocks to all through hull drains with additional gate valves to exhaust and pumps
· 2x Calor bottles with regulator, new 2015, bubble gas leak detector and changeover tap in dedicated vented cockpit locker.
· Copper piping with dedicated bulkhead fittings at either end.
· Additional isolation valve at cooker.
· 40 gallons (180 litres) in 1x stainless steel tank located beneath cockpit sole
· Fuel tank filled from side deck and vented outboard
· All fuel piping is in copper, with armoured flexible connections where appropriate.
· 66 gallons (300 litres) in 1x stainless steel tank located under saloon sole above keel
· Water tank filled from side deck and vented outboard.
· Inline water filter.
Blackwater holding tanks:
· 26 gallons (120 litres) stainless steel holding tank
· Evacuation by either deck pump facility or Henderson manual pump
· Holding tank pipework replaced with new sanitation grade piping (2013)
· Raymarine ST4000 MkII wheel pilot with rudder reference transducer (2003)
· Autohelm ST50 depth, new impellor 2015
· Autohelm ST50 speed/log
· Autohelm ST50 wind
· Autohelm ST50 close-hauled
· Autohelm ST50 Nav. data
· All ST50 units serviced with LCD displays replaced by manufacturer (2003/4)
· Plastimo Olympic 135 Binnacle compass, new 2015
At Chart table:
· Garmin 120 XL GPS with NMEA link to all instruments
· Autohelm ST50 multi-display
· Autohelm ST50 digital compass
· Raytheon RX10 raster scan radar.
· Nasa Pro digital Navtex, new 2015
· All instruments linked to USB connector for use with PC Chart plotter.
· Vertex Standard DSC VHF radio with cockpit speaker and remote full control mic also in cockpit (2008).
· Masthead aerial and cable replaced 2014.
· Bainbridge Neptune 4500 gimballed gas cooker with two burners, grill and oven, new 2015.
· Crash bar and restraining strap for cooker.
· Isotherm refrigerator with ASU and holding plate (electronic control unit replaced 2003).
· ITT Jabso manual marine heads, new 2015.
Heating & Ventilation:
· Ebersbacher D4 diesel fired hot air system with 3 outlets (1 in forecabin and 2 in saloon) with electronic control and thermostat, new 2015
· Radio/CD/MP3 player (2007) with speakers recessed in saloon bulkhead.
Summary of Accommodation:
· Up to 7 berths in one double cabin, 2 single settee berths, 2 concealed passage making berths and 1 pilot berth aft of chart table
· Average 6’4” (1.93m) headroom.
· The joinery is satin finished high quality varnished teak veneer with solid teak used where possible.
· The cabin sole is hard-wearing solid teak.
· The hull above the water line and the deckhead are lined with off white vinyl and teak trim.
· All locker doors and drawers have secure finger catches.
· Cabin doors are fitted with quality furniture and retaining catches.
· Upholstery replaced with dark blue easy clean fabric and new foam, new 2015.
· Curtains to all windows, new 2015
· Lee cloths to saloon and pilot berths.
· 12v Chrome bezel downlighters, new 2015
· Two single ‘v’ berths with infill to convert to double.
· Shelves port and starboard.
· Access to chain locker forward.
· Emergency exit through deckhead hatch.
· Positioned in walkthrough to forward cabin.
· Marine toilet, new 2015, and stainless steel wash basin.
· Pressurised water supply with shower.
· Teak shower grate.
· Storage locker and mirror.
· Access doors forward and aft.
· Hanging lockers / wet lockers opposite to starboard.
· Dinette arrangement to port with storage under seats, lockers and shelves above.
· Centreline table with drop leaves port and starboard.
· The settee to starboard has storage under and lockers above, including wine locker.
· Access to under seating storage.
· Upper root berths to port and standard (standard yacht has only one) concealed behind teak flaps.
· Twin stainless steel sinks with pressurised water supply.
· White laminate worktop.
· Insulated cool box draining to bilge.
· Bainbridge Neptune 4500 Gimballed gas cooker, new 2015.
· Stowage lockers and cutlery drawer.
· Full sized chart table with ample chart stowage inside and three large drawers fitted below, one lined for cutlery.
· Dedicated seat with restraining strap.
· Bookcase to starboard above the chart table with ample bulkhead room for navigation instruments.
· Aft of navigation area to starboard. Storage beneath berth.
· Kemp silver anodised aluminium mast and boom with mast steps.
· Deck stepped mast with single set of spreaders.
· Rod strut vang.
· 8mm stainless steel wire rigging, replaced 2014.
· Fore & aft lowers
· Harken genoa furler.
· Slab reefing for mainsail with lazyjacks.
· Removable inner forestay for hank-on working jib.
· Lewmar Ocean genoa tracks with ball bearing cars and tow lines to cockpit.
· Lewmar mainsheet track with towable car and lines to Spinlock clutches at companionway.
· Mast-stowed spinnaker pole.
· All running rigging replaced 2015.
· 3x Lewmar self-tailing chrome finished genoa winches in cockpit.
· 1x Lewmar chrome finished genoa furling winch in cockpit.
· 1x Lewmar self-tailing chrome finished mainsheet winch on companionway.
· 3x Lewmar self-tailing chrome finished reefing/halyard winches on mast.
· North Sails fully battened Dacron mainsail with 3 reefs, new 2009.
· North Sails 135% Dacron furling genoa with white UV strip, new 2009.
· Sanders Sails hanked-on Dacron working jib, new 2015.
· North Sails nylon Genneker with snuffer, new bag 2015.
· North Sails orange Dacron storm jib.
· Stainless steel pushpit, pulpit and guardwire stanchions.
· Stainless steel mast pulpits.
· Stainless steel aerial pole mounted to transom.
· Teak cockpit table.
· Dorade vents to saloon and forward cabin
· Lewmar deckhead hatches, acrylics replaced 2015.
Anchoring & Mooring Equipment:
· Simpson Lawrence Horizon 1500w reversing electric anchor windlass with remote control and manual override (new 2004, refurbished 2013).
· Self-stowing NEW 35lb CQR anchor with 55m of 10mm calibrated chain, new 2015.
· Spare CQR Anchor
Covers, Canvas & Cushions:
· Beige canvas wheel cover, Sanders Sails new 2015
· Beige mainsail cover, Sanders Sails new 2015
· Beige life raft cover, Sanders Sails new 2015
· Beige Large canvas sprayhood, Sanders Sails 2015
· Ocean Safety Offshore canister life raft in stainless steel coachroof mounted cradle, new 2015.
· 2x Horseshoe buoys with lights, new 2015.
· Plastic coated guardwires (replaced 2010).
· Webbing jackstays, new 2015.
· Pilot gas alarm system with sensors in galley and bilge.
· Fire extinguishers in galley, forecabin and cockpit locker, new 2015.
· Fire blanket in galley.