EMILY was designed by William Fife III and built for Sir Ernest Roney at William Fife’s yard in 1924
as an International 8 Metre racing yacht (Int8mR) to the second international rule - with the French
Olympics uppermost in her owner’s mind. British Eight Metre champion in 1924 and, beating BLUE
RED - Charles Nicholson in the selection trials, EMILY took the Silver medal for Great Britain at the
Olympics in Le Havre.
Fast forward - from a state of considerable decline EMILY was totally and traditionally rebuilt during
1998 99 to original plans by David Vieira’s yard near Lisbon, sporting a long boom but small foresail
rig, rare flush deck and is once again a pure classic racer. Sea trialling during her reappearance at
the Europeans in 1999, EMILY was winner of the Concours de Elegance with other eights such as
ARIA, BAMBA and CARRON II sailing in the Coupe Cartier. She is maintained by Josef Martin, of the
Radolfzell Boatyard by Lake Constance / Bodensee.