ARGONAUT is a Swan 44 for which time has stood still. She has been inside storage under custom tent for the last 13 years and prior to that, was stored also indoors for several years. Boat deck and topsides covered with soft fabric inside the shed and the interior heated during the winter months. As such, her interior woodwork is so far above average in condition, never mind the teak decks. This owner has been meticulously restoring her, (and has restored vintage automobiles as well), and probably spent a year alone on removing corrosion on the toerails and repainting them! All the non-teak surfaces on deck are fresh white awlgrip, winches are serviced, sst fittings are polished, boom is painted, and her owner is still enthusiastic!
ARGONAUT is located at the North Yard Brewers Pilot Point. The engine has been kicked over, with a new ABM heavy duty battery installed. In Spring 2017 owner will be reinstalling the winches, bow and stern pulpits. The owner will also recommission her and start her sailing again.
Recent Work Completed
· Paint Cabin Exterior, Dorade Boxes and Cockpit
1. Deck, cabin exterior, dorade boxes, cockpit all stripped of fittings and equipment (winches, dorade vents, gauges, canvas tracks etc.).
2. Fiberglass gel coating sanded, surfaces faired, and prepped for priming.
3. Coated (sprayed) with Awlgrip epoxy primer.
4. Surface prepped for final Awlgrip coating.
5. Finished with Awlgrip polyurethane (Color Awlgrip "Snow White").
6. Reinstall removed components on cabin/dorade boxes and cockpit, seal deck seams with "Teak Decking. Systems" deck caulking.
· Paint and Restore Toe Rails and Stem and Stern Aluminum Fittings (interior/exterior)
1. Strip old coating.
2. Grind oxidized aluminum to bright material and spot prime.
3. Coat prepared surfaces with Awlgrip epoxy primer.
4. Sand and prep surfaces for final coating.
5. Finish coat with Awlgrip polyurethane (Color Awlgrip "Bright Aluminum" and "High Gloss Clear").
6. Seal deck seams with "Teak Decking Systems" deck caulking.
· Refinish Teak on Forward Sliding and Hinged Forward Hatches, 2 (remove).
1. Sand and prep teak surfaces.
2. Varnish (10 coats) with Epitanes "Wood finish Gloss" varnish.
3. Install Hinged Forward Hatch.
Rebuild Hatches and Cabin Windows:
· Refurbish and Paint Aft Hinged Hatches, 3 (includes cockpit hatch).
1. Remove hatches, strip to bare aluminum, prime with Awlgrip (Color "Bright Aluminum and High Gloss Clear Coat).
2. Clean and install hinge stops, bed new plexi-glass window insert.
3. Install on deck with new Stainless Steel fasteners.
· Refurbish Forward and Main Sliding Hatches.
1. Replace melamine plastic track slides on both hatches
2. Install new "lock latches" on forward hatch.
3. Install new hatch seals.
· Replace cabin fixed windows (6).
1. Remove trim and window plexi-glass.
2. Clean, prep, prime and paint window trim to match cabin color (Awlgrip primer and paint to match cabin).
3. Make up new plexi-glass windows.
4. Install and bed on cabin side and install and fasten cabin trim (new stainless steel fasteners).
Hull, Deck & Superstructure Construction:
· GRP Maroon hull (awlgrip 82R160) with black bottom, currently painted with Micron CSC (2013). Will need fresh coat prior to launch.
· Teak decks were replaced in 1994 and are in excellent condition, as the boat has been stored for many years. Recently light sanded to smooth them out.
· All deck gear is currently off the deck, due to height restrictions for trucking.
Keel & Rudder:
· Lead keel casting with antimony, sst keel bolts.
· Unmodified underbody, skeg rudder, fiberglass with sst stock.
Engine & Gearboxes:
· Perkins 4.108, 37 HP.
Maintenance & Performance:
· The engine was replaced sometime around 1988 with an estimated 1000 hours prior to replacement of engine hour meter. Now reads approx. 600 hours.
· Engine has been cleaned and painted, as well as engine compartment.
· In 2014, owner boiled out engine and transmission heat exchangers, as was anticipating launching the boat.
· New engine mounts, and new fuel primary/second and oil filters.
· New engine hoses and heat exchanger end caps (2012/13) – kit purchased from TransAtlantic diesel.
· All new filters have been installed (fuel primary/secondary and oil).
· Heat exchangers (engine/transmission) have been boiled out and checked.
Propulsion & Steering:
· Engine throttle controls new as well as new cables.
· 12V ship’s system.
· Electrical panel was replaced with Nautor supplied materials in 1987.
· Electrical outlets at bow and wheel for hand held searchlight.
· Main house batteries replaced with two gel batteries
· Engine starter battery replaced with one gel battery
· 120V shore power cord, all cleaned and stored.
· Trace Engineering inverter Model U2512.
· Seacocks all serviced and working.
· Water heater (was replaced in 1995).
· Shower sump pump.
· Total capacity 39.6 gallons in 1 x stainless steel tank.
· Diesel fuel pumped from tanks, filtered and treated yearly with PRI fuel treatment.
· Total capacity of 87 gallons in 2 x stainless steel tanks.
Grey/Blackwater holding tanks:
· Total capacity of 15 gallons in 1 x rubber holding tank.
· B & G Hydra System 2 with FFD at cockpit and nav. station.
· B & G 190 depth sounder, flux gate compass, boat speed analogue, 360 analogue wind indicator.
· Closed hauled analogue wind indicator.
· Depth analogue indicator.
· Two compass analogue indicators.
· Two speed sensors, two depth transducers.
· Motorola VHF.
· Motorola GPS interfaced with chart plotter and Hydra FFD’s.
Note: electronics are listed for reference purposes as owner cannot guarantee availability of parts.
· 3 burner UPO propane stove with remote shut off.
· Double sst sinks in galley.
· One head aft, accessible via main cabin or aft cabin. Manual head, sink with hand held shower.
Heating & Ventilation:
· Hella fans with teak trim rings.
· Kenwood stereo.
· Hella overhead lighting with teak rims.
Summary of Accommodation:
· The quality of the teak in ARGONAUT is no longer available, and it is in lovely condition.
· The floorboards were replaced with Nautor supplied floorboard material in approximately 1988, and therefore very little marking.
· Floorboards all remove for complete access to the bilge.
· Aft cabin is quarter berths port and stbd with access to either the galley or the stbd head.
· Single head stbd side, and galley to port with main companionway entrance and engine box on centerline.
· Main salon has drop leaf teak table and settees/storage on both sides.
· Forepeak has two pipe berths, folding up for access to the sail bins beneath.
· Major of the upholstery has been laundered as well.
· Bilges cleaned as well as interior joinery.
· Tall Rig version of the Swan 44’s.
· I – 57.5’.
· J – 18.60’.
· P – 51’.
· E – 15.50’.
· Mast top above water: 62.5’ plus antennas.
· Traveller rebuilt with new stops and bearings, cleaned and polished.
· Single spreader.
· Two alum. Spinnaker poles.
· Rod headstay and backstay.
· Navtec hydraulic backstay, boomvang and outhaul.
· Nautor Aluminium rig, currently stored at Pilots Point Marina.
· Boom (with boat at location) was stripped of equipment, sanded and surface prepared for priming.
· Primed with Awlgrip epoxy primer.
· Painted with Awlgrip Polyurethane (color Bright Alum. And High Gloss Clear).
· Winches are a mix of Lewmar & Barient, all self tailers with exception of the halyard winches.
· The owner has been told that all the winches were replaced in the 1980’s with the exception of the reel winch on the mast.
· All winches are off the boat at the moment, as all deck hardware must be off in order to truck the boat to the water.
· 2 x Primary sheet winches, Barient 36, 3 speed, 7” drums.
· 2 x secondary sheet winches, Barient 73, 3 speed.
· 2 x Running backstay winches Barient 23.
· 1 x Spinnaker foreguy winch Barient.
· 1 x Blooper sheet winch, Barient.
· 1 x Main sheet winch, Lewmar 40.
· 1 x Topping lift winch, Barient, on mast.
· 1 x Jib halyard winch, Lewmar, on mast.
· 2 x Main halyard winches, Barient 27.
· Barient bases (4) refinished with Awlgrip (Bright Aluminum/Black with Clear Coat) installed (new 316 SS mounting fasteners).
· All winches checked, cleaned and greased.
· Mounting fasteners all new SS.
· Mainsail, Doyle, 1992.
· Light #1 genoa 1992 Doyle.
· Heavy #1 genoa, 1992 Doyle.
· #3 genoa.
· .75 oz spinnaker.
· 1.5 oz spinnaker.
· .6 oz spinnaker.
· Storm trysail, never used.
· Storm jib, never used.
· Pulpit/pushpit and lifelines have been cleaned, polished and prepared for installation with new sst fasteners.
· Lifelines and stanchions cleaned and prepared for installation, new stanchion tips as required.
Anchoring & Mooring Equipment:
· 45lb anchor.
· 22lb anchor.
· Inflatable fenders (approx. 4).
· Two fender boards.
Covers, Canvas & Cushions:
· Dodger for main companionway.
· Daycovers for upholstery.
Tender & Outboard:
· 1995 Avon dinghy NO PAPERS available.