Delivered in 1930 by the Welsh yard Dickie & Sons on behalf of W. G. Hetherington of Glasgow, M/Y Over The Rainbow has had a long and fascinating history. Built in teak over oak frames, she was originally christened as Janetha IV and spent her early years cruising around the Scottish coast. Constructed to ensure maximum levels of comfort & luxury, Hetherington voyaged onboard with family and friends in Scottish waters until 1939 and the outbreak of World War II. The Royal Navy subsequently commandeered Janetha IV and put her to use as a coastal patroller by the name of HMS Corax. A point worth noting is that during the war period, the yacht’s dining room was used as the principal officer’s mess and the main leisure past time was to partake in a game of darts. To this day, the original Honduras mahogany panels still show the scars of where the darts missed the desired target, one of many factors that have helped retain M/Y Over The Rainbow’s history and character.
In the post-war years, she was renamed Lady Jeanetta and after a brief trip around the US, she returned to the Mediterranean where she was anchored off Athens, Greece taking the role as a popular floating casino, whereby allowing the locals to bypass the notorious laws forbidding gambling. In the late 1940’s, the yacht changed hands yet again and under the name Ismini III disappeared from the public eye for almost 40 years. An English yachting enthusiast then purchased the vessel and introduced her to the charter market in the 1990’s before relocating to the Cote D’Azur.
In the early millennium, a Belgian artist first set eyes on the yacht and instantly fell in love with her classic charm and romance. After acquiring the vessel and renaming her M/Y Over The Rainbow in 2002, the vessel arrived at a specialized Italian shipyard where a painstaking 2 year full rebuild was embarked upon to preserve her precious historical value and to bring the yacht a new lease of life.
Under the close supervision of Captain Jean Louis Legros, the oak frames and teak planking were fully restored before the entire hull was caulked in traditional methods before being completely painted. The exterior wooden superstructure was also kept original undergoing a full re-varnish.
The interior has been reconfigured and upgraded keeping many of the original features whilst allowing for modern-day comforts. The Genova based SYDAC took care of the entire interior restoration project, finishing the interior in light cherry wood with exquisitely appointed cabins & ensuites; all of which are complemented by many beautifully artistic features (such as the stained-glass deck lights).
Upon completion of the rebuild in 2004, her proud owner relocated Over The Rainbow to her new home in Nice, France where she has been preserved to the highest standard. One would find it hard to find a more elegant way to cruise the Cote D’Azur than onboard the sundeck of Over The Rainbow. Northrop & Johnson’s sales brokers Wes Sanford & Ed Dickinson are proud to offer the opportunity to purchase this truly spectacular gentleman’s classic motor yacht to a new owner to take the write the next chapter in her history.