SAVARONA, a performance world cruiser, was designed by naval architect Philippe Cabon and Frank Darnet (interior) and custom built in aluminum, by the premiere French yard Construction Navale Bordeaux.
SAVARONA has been on a proper refit schedule since new. Her first in 2006, the second in 2010, and the major refit completed in 2015 when hauled at the Gino Yard in Marmaris, Turkey. Shortly before, in August 2014, she had been hauled in Palm Beach for a hull survey and inspection by Patton Marine, one of the best marine survey companies in the world.
SAVARONA has now completed an extensive refit, done by an experienced owner who is unable to do something “good enough”, it has to be done the right way. His project manager, also a marine surveyor himself, was on site for the entire project. The result is an absolutely stunning yacht that is better than new, with $1.5M invested. Not only was SAVARONA fully repainted, mast-boom-hull-superstructure, but also new 16 mm Burma teak decks and caprail was laid, with new teak added to the coachroof well. Deck hardware is all new black anodized Lewmar, interior varnishing and refurbishing with high quality fabrics, but the real story is under the floorboards and behind the cabinetry. Virtually every system has been serviced/replaced or modified, so that her planned charter activity would not have any interruptions. Her new owner has the choice of using her as a private yacht or continue with the charter operation, complete with web site.
Her twin cockpit layout is perfect for guests and crew. The center cockpit area has a rounded settee with a good size table for dining, which was just custom designed and built with an ice bucket and wired Bluetooth linked to the yacht’s stereo system. The aft steering/crew cockpit, also has comfortable rounded seating area, with steering and navigation completely separate. And as the owner needs to run his business while cruising, she has full Internet connectivity and communication from anywhere in the world.
SAVARONA had a beautiful Atlantic crossing in 2017. She sailed 4,009 miles with an average speed of 9.2 knots (her owner now has over 8,000 miles on board her).
- Went through a Force 9 Storm with winds of 43-47 knots and 35 foot seas - the boat handled it easily, nothing broken.
- Set a new speed record for the boat - 24.0 knots surfing down a BIG wave, and four people joined the 20+ knot club
- Once we hit the Trade Winds we sailed 6 straight days from sun up to sun down on spinnaker alone - over 60 hours of kite flying.
- Saw the Southern Cross constellation for the first time.Saw it every night once we got south of 19 N latitude.
- Saw a huge Green Flash on the last night before we made landfall at Antigua.
- Used our new Inmarsat C radio to send receive free email from the middle of the ocean - works great.
- Staying through Antigua Race Week.
- Departing 11th May 2017 - 5-day passage to Bermuda.
- Arrival Bermuda approx. 16th May.
- Return to Mediterranean from 1st or 2nd of July 2017.
We are sailors, so any yacht we own must perform, and Savarona is a delight to sail; fast (16 knots), great feedback at the helm, tracks well with the keel down, and a smooth sea kindly motion. In 7-10 knots of breeze she will make wind speed and between 10-18 knots of breeze you’ll see 11’s and 12’s on the wind and 15+ off the wind. So she is indeed a “performance” cruiser. Our second requirement in a yacht is luxurious surroundings and accommodations; to that end Savarona is world-class. New upholstery above and below with the finest fabrics, en-suite waterfall showerheads, satellite TV, surround sound, and much more. No expense was spared during the 2015 refit. Savarona is the perfect combination of sailing performance and luxury.
Hull, Deck & Superstructure Construction:
- SAVARONA’s hull is of electric welded aluminium construction.
- Two watertight bulkheads forward.
- Hull and transom –Awlgrip - 2015.
- Bottom painted 2018.
- Superstructure – Awlcraft 2000 - 2015.
- Burma teak decks 2015, 16 mm – 2015.
- Teak caprail - 2015.
- Teak added to coachroof - 2015.
- Deck hatches, all flush, - 2015.
- All deck hatches fitted with gas springs - 2015.
Keel & Rudder:
- Twin Spade Rudders, with JP3 bearings and seals.
- Bolted molded lead keel.
- Newly fabricated swing keel – 2017.
- Keel control cables – 2017.
- Steering control cables – 2017.
Engine & Gearboxes:
- Caterpillar Acert C7 370, 6 cylinder, 2010.
- Twin disc gear box EC200, removed and serviced by factory 2010.
- Racor fuel separator, 2010.
Maintenance & Performance:
- Cruising speed 10 knots.
- Engine Hours: c. 1401.
- Transmission rebuilt 2010.
- Replaced all nonmetallic valves in engine compartment with metal valves as well as various modifications including sight glass on day tank, upgrade non fire retardant hoses in engine room, IP55 in garage, forced air ventilation system in garage, vented battery boxes, etc – All 2015.
- All hydraulics rams serviced and refinished 2015.
- Air compressor for compressed air tools - 2015.
Propulsion & Steering:
- Steering quadrants serviced 2015.
- Cutlass bearing replaced 2017.
- Max prop 5 Blade Whisper 2017.
- Bow Thruster, MAX Power 40 HP, R450/1, complete overhaul, service & painted 2016.
- Tides marine shaft seal 2017.
- Shaft removed and checked 2017.
- Shaft realigned 2017.
Fresh Water & Water Heating System:
- Hot water heater, 2 x Pacific 100 liter/26 gallon each, one in 2010.
- Water pressure accumulator tanks - 2015.
- 3 x Gianneschi fresh water pumps - 2017.
- Watermaker, LIVOL Aqua Base 200 l/hr, serviced 2015.
- Two fuel tanks, 4000 liter capacity (529 gallons).
- 3000 litres (397 gallons) in two tanks.
Grey/Blackwater holding tanks:
- Black water: 500 litres (132 gallons) in one tank, pump replaced 2010 & rebuilt 2015
- Grey water: 1000 litres (264 gallons) in one tank, pump replaced 2010 & rebuilt 2015.
- Holding tank for crew head and related pump systems added 2015.
- Grey water staging tank in galley - 2015.
Summary of Accommodation:
- Comprehensive mast stiffening & reinforcement between spreader 2 and mast head, 2018.
- All rig related hydraulic rams rebuilt 2018.
- Deck hardware, black anodized Lewmar including all blocks, tracks, cars, travelers, scuppers, pad eyes and switch plates – 2015.
- Mast height from water: 36m.
- Spreader up lights, 2018.
- High modulus Carbon mast and boom, built by Petitjean Composite.
- Mast & boom painted, 2018.
- Boom hardware - 2015.
- Cutter rig
- Lazy Jacks - 2015.
- Harken Hydraulic genoa furler serviced 2015.
- Harken Hydraulic staysail furler serviced 2015.
- Carbon foils, dismantled and serviced 2015
- PBO standing rigging, Future Fibers:Backstay, forestay, runners, diagonals, V1’s - 2015.
- PBO rigging replacement 2018 – V2, 3, 4 and D5’s as well as running backstays.
- Dock lines, halyards, sheets, running backstays, main sheet reef lines – 2015.
- Upgraded to Carver snatch blocks for asymmetric and mainsail head –2015
- Winches, all Lewmar, and serviced 2018:
- 2 x 88 Hydraulic 3 speed – Genoa sheets.
- 3 x 66 hydraulic 2 speed – Halyards and reefing lines.
- 2 x 66 hydraulic 3 speed - Staysail sheets.
- 2 x 66 manual 2 speed – Runners.
- 1 x 77 hydraulic 3 speed – Main sheet.
- 1 x 50 manual 2 speed – Traveller control lines.
- All Winch buttons replaced with Harken stainless steel buttons - 2015.
- Doyle Ice Stratius Main, staysail, jib and asy, April 2016.
- Older Sails:
- Main, Doyle Stratis 40 Carbon Vectran with upgraded mainsail battens to C-tech carbon in 2015.
- Jib, North, Dacron 13.8 oz.
- Code Zero, North Aramid 100-70.
- Gennaker, North Norlon 2.5/1.5 oz.
- Staysail, Doyle Stratis 35 Carbon Vectran, 2010.
- Custom carbon flag pole – New 2015.
- Custom varnished teak guest table with built in ice bucket holder and Bluetooth system – All 2015.
- Hydraulic retracting passerelle, OPACMARE, serviced incl. new hydraulic hoses 2015.
- Swim ladder.
- Deck wash system.
Anchoring & Mooring Equipment:
- Lewmar 4000 hydraulic windlass, serviced 2015.
- Bruce anchor, 170 lbs (80 kg), galvanized 2010 with 120 m chain (14 mm diameter).
- Anchor locker lids fitted with gas springs 2015.
- Fenders x 10 inflatable type by Mega Fender – 2015.
- Fender covers x 8 - for all but storm fenders – 2015.
Covers, Canvas & Cushions:
- Storm boards for all deck hatches – 2015.
- Dodgers, biminis, sun awning, sail cover, mast boot and transom curtain – All 2015.
- Cockpit cushions – 2016.
Tender & Outboard:
- Transom modified to accommodate Williams 385 jet tender in garage and installed pneumatic door seal with automatic run compressor– 2015
- Williams jet tender 385 (2011 model).
- Updated safety equipment as per the requirements of Transportation Malta, 2018 incl. new distress flares.
- Two 6 man liferafts – 1 x 2015, 1 x 2018 Sea Safe 4-man raft.
- 360 deg. Security camera.
- 406 EPIRB, 2015.
- SART, 2018.
- Life Jackets x 10.
- MOB recovery modules – Automatic inflatable – 2015
- Life slings – 2015
- 1 x Pyrotechnic throw line –2015 & 1 x Pyrotechnic throw line –2018
- Buoyant smoke flair with light – As required by code – 2015
- Distress flares – As required by code – 2015
- Bilge alarm system – 2015
- 2 x Safes, Captain’s cabin and owner’s cabin – 2015
- Sea water fire suppression in bow and transom.
- Sprinkler system in garage – New 2015
- Installed fire alarm sensors throughout the yacht, garage door sensor, hydrocarbon sensor in garage – All 2015
- Fire extinguishers as required by code.