Sabre Motor Yachts are built in the Maine tradition to an exemplary standard. Their sister company North End Composites supply many high quality mouldings for Hinckley amongst others, and Sabre have learnt from both sail and motor-yacht construction over the years – with an emphasis on building practical, quality and user-friendly boats.
The 42 Express is a Downeast type – running on twin Yanmar diesels for performance up to around 30 knots. The hulls are of vacuum-bagged construction, which creates a stiff, light and very clean hull – both inside and out – resulting in a very easily-driven shape, which is fun to drive, extremely dependable, and very comfortable in short seas. I have driven this hull through some truly horrible, confused weather and you never get a sense of her being anything other than at ease. The interiors are hand-finished – with the end result being first class, and the helm decks are safe, airy and well thought-out, with a pair of Stidd helm seats to make sure that the crew are relaxed and cosseted under way.
This 42 is a very rare chance to find one of these elegant express cruisers in the Europe, and must be viewed to be fully understood and appreciated.
She is Part 1 British Registered, and in her second ownership from new.
“The beauty of his boat is certainly more than skin deep, not just in terms of its overall sturdiness and finish, but in how it is designed and built for ease and comfort. This vessel manages to marry the safe, sound and practical with plenty of warmth of style – but quality like this doesn’t come cheap, of course.” – Motor Boats Monthly – May 2006.
Overall Measured Length: 47’4” inc. 2’9” pulpit; beam 14’
RCD Status: The yacht conforms with the essential safety requirements of Directive 94/25EC (Recreational Craft Directive) and is categorised B.
· Modified “V” hull design with 16 degree deadrise at transom.
· ISO-NPG Sport Yacht Flag Blue gel coat and vinylester back-up resin.
· Structural E-glass fibreglass laminates.
· Vacuum-bagged construction.
· Divinycell PVC foam core in running surfaces and topsides.
· Foam/plywood cored fiberglass stringer system with steel caps at engine mounts.
· Hull side rubbing strakes.
· Teak toe rail and teak cabin side eyebrows.
· Bonding system for protection against galvanic corrosion.
· New antifoul and anodes April/May 2016.
· Isopthalic gel coat.
· E-glass fibreglass laminate with end grain balsa core.
· Moulded-in anti-skid deck surfaces in Smoke White colour (cockpit, fore and side decks).
· Teak-laid helm cockpit, with massive teak let in to coamings.
· Flexiteek to side decks, steps and aft cockpit sole (August 2015).
Engine & Gearboxes:
· 2 x Yanmar 6LY2A-STP 440hp 6-cylinder diesel engines.
· Racor fuel/water separators with water level alarms.
· Engine room ventilation blower.
· Fully insulated with Soundown foam noise barrier.
Maintenance & Performance:
· Engine Hours: c. 382 @ March 2016.
· Cruising Speed: 22 knots. (fuel burn c. 101 lph)
· Max Speed: c.30 knots. (fuel burn c. 195 lph)
· Engines serviced by Yanmar agent August 2015.
Propulsion & Steering:
· Full engine instrumentation and twin lever controls.
· Bennett trim tabs.
· Side power SP75T bow thruster.
· Teleflex hydraulic steering with Edsel adjustable wheel.
· ZFIRM 220A marine gearboxes to 2” Aquamet 22 s/s shafts with PSS dripless seals.
· 4-bladed NiBrAl propellers.
· Prop protectors to both shafts.
Other Mechanical Equipment:
· Triple variable-speed windshield wipers with washers.
· Bass illuminated main circuit breaker distribution panel 12-volt lighting system with Cantalupi Jeny overhead lights and Danish Cabin reading lights.
· Bass illuminated main circuit breaker distribution panel 120-V AC outlets in each cabin and engine room.
· Switch panel with Carlingswitch Contura rocker switches.
· Marinco Sealink 12-VDC outlet at helm.
· Tinned wire used throughout.
· 2 x Group 31, dedicated, lead acid, engine start batteries.
· 2 x Rolls 290 AGM service batteries (new 2014).
· Battery disconnect and emergency crossover switches.
· Generator battery.
· Protech 4 4-step automatic 12V/50Ah battery charger.
· 80-amp, 12-volt alternator on each engine.
· Westerbeke 12.5kW generator.
· 220V/50Hz AC shore power inlet and 50 ft. cord.
· 220v Shore supply with cabin/engine compartment sockets.
· 12-volt horn.
· Galley, head, engine room sockets are GFI protected.
· Victron C12/2000W inverter and remote panel.
· Solbian monocrystalline Solar Panels with smart MPPT controllers fitted to the wheel house roof. 1 x 100W for the domestic batteries, and 2 x 51W one each for the engine and generator batteries ( August 2015 ).
Fresh Water & Water Heating System:
· 12V DC hot and cold pressure water system.
· Fresh water tap in engine room.
· Marelon seacocks on thru-hull fittings below the waterline.
· Marelon discharge seacock with macerator pump.
· 11 gal. water heater operates on both 120-V AC and engine heat.
· Temperature control valve on hot water supply.
· Groco Paragon Junior pressure water pump with PST-1 accumulator tank.
· 3 x Rule 2000 (2000 gph), automatic 12-VDC bilge pumps.
· Manual Whale high capacity bilge pump.
· Total capacity of 1,688 litres in T-shaped, baffled aluminium fuel tank.
· Fuel filler on side decks.
· Fuel shut-off valves in lazarette.
· Total capacity of 592 litres (160 gallons) in 2 x roto-molded polyethylene water tanks.
· 2 x electric water tank level indicators in galley.
Blackwater holding tank:
· Total capacity of 112 litres in 1 x roto-molded polyethylene holding tank.
· 4-1/2” Ritchie Navigator compass.
· Raymarine C120 radar/chart plotter.
· Raymarine ST60 Tridata speed and depth sounder.
· Raymarine AIS650 Class B transceiver, with dedicated aerial.
· Raymarine Evolution autopilot.
· Simrad RD68 DSC VHF radio.
· Echomax Active XS Dual Band radar reflector.
· Navigational electronics mast on hard top.
· Moulded helm control station console for electronics.
· Brass clock and barometer to wheelhouse upper valance.
· Helm deck wet bar with stainless steel sink, Corian counter top and teak louvred doors.
· Aurora Corian galley countertop.
· Double Scandvik stainless steel sink with single lever tap.
· Built-in waste basket.
· Under counter Tundra refrigerator/freezer 12V/120V.
· Panasonic microwave.
· Ceramic 2-ring electric hob.
· Good stowage in drawers, lockers and cupboards.
· Jabsco Quiet-Flush electric MSD (freshwater flush).
· Wash basin, separate shower cubicle with electric sump pump.
· Hot and cold deck shower at transom.
· Opening deck-light and port-light.
Heating & Ventilation:
· Wallas 40DT heater, with outlets to both cabins, heads, saloon and wheel-house.
· Excellent wheelhouse ventilation provided by deck hatches above helm/co-pilot seats.
· Extractor fan plus direct access to forward cabin.
· Cockpit courtesy lights.
· Navigation lights: side, steaming, stern and 360 degree anchor light.
· Engine compartment lights.
· 2 overhead aft cockpit lights.
· Low level cabin and wheelhouse lights.
· Danish cabin reading lights throughout.
· TV to main saloon with Shakespeare aerial and second aerial outlet to wheelhouse.
Summary of Accommodation:
· Forward cabin with island centreline double berth and deck hatch.
· Occasional single berth in saloon.
· Starboard guest cabin with double berth.
· Large open plan saloon with L-shaped dinette arrangement plus deck hatch.
· Galley to port rear of saloon.
· Steps up to semi-enclosed teak cockpit with helm and co-pilot seats forward.
· Step down to aft open cockpit with aft facing seat; teak coamings and good access to wide side decks.
· Headroom (Max): 6’6” / 1.98m
· Varnished cherry interior.
· Teak and holly cabin soles with two coats of sealer.
· Soft headliner panels (except head and shower stall).
· Screens on all opening windows, ports and hatches.
· Dovetailed maple drawers with slides and push button latches.
· Wood handholds throughout.
· Forward opening window and sliding side windows.
· Accord shades to all opening port-lights, mosquito nets to all deck-hatches.
· Good stowage throughout including cockpit lazarette, wardrobes/drawers in both cabins, plus numerous lockers under wheelhouse/cockpit seating.
Description of layout from forwards:
· Island berth with deep sprung mattress.
· Drawers and locker storage under berth.
· Direct access to head.
· Overhead opening hatch with Oceanair roller blind.
· Storage lockers outboard and above berth.
· Hanging locker (cedar lined) with louvred door.
· Cherry hull ceilings.
· Bureau with locker over.
· Passageway door to saloon.
· RP vanity sink with Delta single-lever tap.
· Corian vanity countertop.
· Wood trimmed, adjustable mirror.
· Circular shower stall with clear plexiglass door.
· Shower seat and wet locker outboard.
· Scandvik shower mixer control.
· Electric shower sump pump.
· Fibreglass sole with anti-skid in head compartment.
· Storage lockers.
· Towel bar.
· Ventilation blower.
· Holding tank “full” indicator.
· Double berth with foam Queen sized mattress.
· Drawers and storage under berth.
· Entry door from saloon.
· Bureau with 3 drawers.
· 2 opening ports and one overhead hatch.
· “L” settee in Ultrasuede with Hi-Lo inlaid table.
· Storage under “L” settee, Sabre tool drawer.
· Lockers outboard of berth back with louvered doors.
· Sound deadening headliner panels.
· 2 x overhead opening hatches with Oceanair roller blind.
· L-shaped galley to port.
· Drawers and locker storage below counter.
· Corian worktops.
· Single overhead opening hatch.
· Centre opening windshield – manual.
· Sliding side windows port and starboard.
· Sofa with 3” Ultraleather covered cushions in ivory with blue piping and storage below.
· Stidd 500 Series helm and mate seats.
· Custom command bridge table compass rose style inlay.
· 2 Lewmar pilot hatches in hard top.
· Helm/controls include switches for horn, blower, running, anchor and instrument lights, and accessories.
· Large sole access hatch with stainless steel ladder to engine compartment.
· Fibreglass bathing platform with SS telescopic swim ladder.
· 1-1/4” diameter stainless steel rail system.
· 3 x hinged cockpit locker hatches with stainless gas struts.
· Hinged, inward opening transom door to swim platform.
· Flag staff holder and teak staff.
· Lewmar Coastline polished aluminum hatches with screens.
· Custom stainless steel opening ports with screens.
· Bow and stern chocks, custom stainless steel spring line chocks.
Anchoring & Mooring Equipment:
· Fibreglass bow pulpit with double anchor roller.
· 2 x foredeck lockers forward Lewmar anchor windlass with rope/chain gypsy.
· Muir electric anchor windlass with deck/console controls.
· Delta kedge anchor with chain.
· 2 x telescopic boat hooks.
· Two extra midships spring cleats.
Covers, Canvas & Cushions:
· Wheelhouse aft screen covers x 2 ( one light grey and one in navy blue – both new 2014 ), with opening window panel, to original manufacturers specification.
· Ivory aft cockpit cushions with blue piping.
· White Stidd helm chairs.
· Seago 6-person canister liferaft (in-date) in bathing platform liferaft cradle.
· Alarms (light and buzzer) for high water temperature and low oil pressure.
· 2 x horseshoe life belts with lights.
· 4 x dry powder fire extinguishers ( 2014 ).
· Xintex Fireboy automatic fire extinguishing discharge system with dual override.
· Fire blanket.