A yacht very well-known Berthon we have dealt with her sale and purchase on a number of occasions. She started life as a comprehensively spec’ed blue water cruising yacht commissioned by a very experienced owner. Since then she has enjoyed good ownership being well maintained and updated along the way. A well proven yacht ready for new adventures.
SALTWHISTLE III was launched at Ellos Sweden in May 1997 and sailed to the Hamble River UK for final fitting out. She has been equipped for safe short-handed passage making and for live aboard comfort and probably has the most comprehensive inventory of any blue water HR 42 afloat.
SALTWHISTLE III has always been meticulously maintained and updated as necessary. In 2009/10, she benefitted from an extensive refit including new engine, hydraulic gearbox and propellor, new standing and running rigging, preventative epoxy coating and new rudder bearings. Much equipment was renewed for the 2011 ARC.
Overall Measured Length: 44’5” inc. 11” pulpit.
RCD Status: The yacht conforms with the essential safety requirements of Directive 94/25EC (Recreational Craft Directive) and is categorised A – “Ocean”
Note: Substantial spares and consumables for most items of equipment but especially main engine, generator and watermaker.
Hull, Deck & Superstructure Construction:
· Laminate construction of hull: isophtalic gelcoat and isophtalic polyester is used. Hand lay-up method, insulated above water line with Divinycell PVC-foam against heat and cold.
· Integrated rubbing strake with brass strip.
· Blue decorative band in gelcoat.
· Strong under floor reinforcements.
· Strong engine foundations of GRP for effective sound insulation.
· Deck and coachroof areas and also cockpit are of sandwich construction, solid in parts, laminated to the hull.
· Teak laid deck and cockpit.
· Lead keel with reinforcement bolted on with 15 S/S bolts. The rudder is carefully mounted for sensitive rudder feel.
Engine & Gearboxes:
- Volvo D2-75F – 75HP with hydraulic gearbox (2009).
Maintenance & Performance:
· Engine Hours: c. 1700.
· Date of last service October 2014.
· Cruising range under power circa 650 miles.
Propulsion & Steering:
- Wheel and pedestal
- Bowthruster with cockpit foot controls (Side Power Twin 7HP).
- MaxProp 3 bladed feathering propeller (2009).
- Spurs rope cutter.
- Spare 3 blade fixed propeller.
- 12V System outlets (Hella and cigar lighter styles).
- 220V system with RCD’s and outlets (UK 3 pin and Europe 2 pin).
- Mastervolt Battman monitor.
- 12v Engine battery.
- ‘Trojan’ deep-cycle service batteries – 640Amp hours at 12v (2011).
- 12v Generator start battery (2012).
- Victron Phoenix 50 amp battery charger (universal input 90-256V, 50/60 Hz) (2013).
· 115 amp engine alternator.
- Dolphin M6, 6KVA (220v) generator with gas/water separator – (2000; rebuild and new mounts 2012).
- Serviced October 2014.
- 220V shore power.
- Shore power polarity indicator.
- Custom built stainless steel goal post carrying wind generator, solar panels and aerials with light and lifting derrick for outboard engine.
- Mastervolt 2000 Watt inverter.
- 2 x Siemans SP75 solar panels plus regulator.
- Air Breeze wind generator.
Fresh Water & Water Heating System:
- 12v pressurized hot and cold system
- Domestic water filter.
- 40 ltr calorifier, heating water via engine or electric element.
- Sea Fresh watermaker (70 ltrs per hour).
- Deck wash (pump converts to extra emergency bilge pump).
- Electric bilge pump.
- Emergency electric bilge pump (4000 ltrs per hour).
- Emergency electric bilge pump (1000 ltrs per hour) (deck-wash switch-over).
- Bilge pumps (inc 1 operating from cockpit - 2011).
· 420 litres / 111 US gallon in acid resistant Stainless steel tank.
· 685 litres / 181 US gallon in acid resistant Stainless steel tank.
Grey/Blackwater holding tanks:
- Holding tanks for both heads.
- Pilot Gas Valve Controller remote solenoid operated from galley.
- Propane gas cylinders.
All interior woodwork in light mahogany matt silk finish. Floor is varnished teak with inlaid holly stripes. Saloon ceiling has paneling with mahogany stripes and ceilings in remainder of boat have light lining. Upholstery on all berths 10 cm thick and resting on unvarnished, well ventilated boards to avoid condensation. Hand holds are in all the right positions. The boat is carpeted throughout, except directly in front of the galley, press studs avoid movement. All portholes are fitted with curtains. Curtains also under the skylights.
Summary of Accommodation:
- Aft cabin modified to give double and single berths.
- Twin armchair saloon layout with custom built wine-cellar in centre console.
- Fixtures for pilot berth above arm chairs; canvas and poles for this stored in forward cabin.
- Saloon upholstery replaced 2011.
- 2 x Director chairs (folding).
- Extra book shelves and custom made magazine racks.
- Custom Pilot berth with stainless poles and canvas berth fits over the saloon arm chairs with dedicated stowage in the fore cabin when not in use.
Note: Aft cabin double to starboard and single berth to port.
- Selden Mast head rig with in-mast main sail
- Twin Furlex roller furling head stays.
- Twin spinnaker poles.
- Detachable cutter stay.
- Selden Electro-reef electric inmast mainsail furling.
- Navtec backstay tensioner.
- Insulated backstay for SSB radio.
- Spinlock clutches for halyards (2011).
- Lewmar clutches for furling lines and main sheet.
- Check Stays.
- Mast steps.
- Selden rod kicker.
- Lewmar traveller cars.
- Selden prodder pole and mounting for cruising chute (2011).
Note: All standing and running rigging replaced 2009.
· 2 x Lewmar 58cst Primaries.
· 2 x Lewmar 30cstmainsheet.
· 2 x Lewmar 30cst mast.
- 140% furling genoa (Sanders).
- Furling working jib (Elvstrom).
- Hanked hardwind jib (Elvstrom).
- Hanked storm jib (Sanders).
- Furling main (Elvstrom 2010).
- Cruising chute with snuffer (North).
- Custom built boarding ladder.
- Varnished cockpit table and trays.
- Extra pad-eyes in foredeck.
- Warps, fenders, jackstays, life ring.
- Cockpit table & drink holder.
Anchoring & Mooring Equipment:
- Twin stem head rollers (1 custom modified for a Rocna anchor).
- Stern anchor roller.
- Lofrans electric windlass (can be operated on foredeck or in cockpit; rebuilt 2014).
- 25kg Rocna with 95 mtrs chain (2011).
- Fortress 37 plus 15 mtrs chain & 80 mtrs rope.
- Brass strips to all cleats.
Covers, Canvas & Cushions:
- Spray hood.
- Cockpit extension cover.
- Bimini with zip-in side and rear panels (2012).
- Covers for hatches and anchor winch.
- Custom made rain-shield/wind scoops for hatches.
- Elk-hide wheel trim.
- Binnacle and wheel cover.
- Custom made teak companion-way seat.
- Cockpit cushions (2011).
Tender & Outboard:
- Simpson folding davits (2011).
- Firdell radar reflector.
- Ocean Safety 4-man liferaft (serviced 2014) coach roof teak craddle.
- JonBuoy M.O.B. Unit (serviced 2014).
- 5 x fire extinguishers, including automatic in engine room (2010).