The Southerly 420 is a remarkable blue water cruising yacht with excellent sailing performance and a drop keel which gives her the possibility of exploring remote and not so remote anchorages in comfort and with confidence. She is set up to be easily handled with a minimum of crew. BLUE DOLPHIN is of recent build having been delivered to her current owners in 2013. She is well equipped for blue water cruising and is offered for trouble free, delivery now.
We have thoroughly enjoyed our sailing on BLUE DOLPHIN. We sailed her from the UK to Caribbean and felt very safe and comfortable throughout. We have now fallen in love with Grenada so, with great reluctance, have to sell BLUE DOLPHIN to become landlubbers.
The Southerly 420 centre cockpit, blue water cruising yacht, designed by Southerly and Rob Humphreys can be easily sailed by two people and boasts an impressive sail plan. The tall fractional rig with swept back double spreaders, combines a self-tacking furling jib and large mainsail with single line reefing, giving a total sail area of 793 sq ft (73.62m2).
A modern well-balanced hull form with a long heeled waterline and broad transom provides the Southerly 420 with thoroughbred performance and sea-kindly motion. The steering is direct with minimum backlash with twin semi-balanced rudders to give instantly responsive steering and precise directional control. The propeller is protected by a substantial skeg that assists in stabilising the yacht when taking the ground. The optional bow thruster and stern thruster give the 420 exceptional low speed manoeuvrability and control.
The centre cockpit offers comfortable seating around the single helm station with space for full instrumentation. The mainsheet track is integrated into the aft cockpit coaming with the traveller control lines led to coaming self-tailing winches which also control the main and jib sheets. Secondary winches either side of the companionway handle the reefing and kicker functions making the yacht easily managed from the cockpit while underway. Coaming mounted winches easily accessible from the helm are part of the optional genoa package which includes tracks on the side decks. A teak table that folds against the pedestal when not in use offers alfresco dining capabilities in the cockpit. The stylish transom features a teak-decked swim platform with integral telescopic bathing ladder for water access, a fresh water shower and moulded teak surfaced steps to the aft deck.
The spacious light and airy aft cabin boasts a large centreline double berth with seating both sides, plentiful stowage, superior ventilation and en-suite facilities. An option for a separate shower to en-suite facilities provides for added comfort. The large saloon seating area provides comfortable dining for six. Large coach roof windows provide panoramic visibility taking full advantage of all-round views. Two good size opening forward coachroof windows provide exceptional natural ventilation. The linear galley has large working surfaces with abundant storage, a stainless steel fridge, freezer, double sink and a fully gimballed cooker as standard. The large forward cabin is fitted with v berths, which convert to a double, with good storage, natural light and en-suite facilities.
The highly developed variable draft keel gives the freedom and versatility to sail in almost any waters. With the keel lowered, the deep draft of 8’9’’ (2.67m) makes for fast, serious passage making, with powerful windward performance. At the touch of a button, the keel can be raised, to give a shallow draft of just 2’7’’ (0.77m), perfect for exploring coastlines, shallow bays and inland waterways.
RCD Status: The yacht conforms with the essential safety requirements of Directive 94/25EC (Recreational Craft Directive) and is categorised A – “Ocean”
Hull, Deck & Superstructure Construction:
· Southerly blue gel coat.
· Ivory white boot top.
· Ivory white style lines.
· Tri-view vertical port lights to both sides of saloon.
· Nordseal anti-osmosis system.
· Clear gel coat below the waterline.
· Copper coating antifoul.
· Teak ring decks.
Keel & Rudder:
· Substantial skeg fitted on centerline to protect propeller and rudders when yacht is dried out. Skeg can accommodate stern thruster at additional cost.
Engine & Gearboxes:
· 1 x Yanmar 4JH5E 53hp 39.6kW 4-cylinder, fresh water cooled, diesel engine.
· Reduction/reverse gear.
· Dedicated sound deadened engine compartment with door from aft heads compartment for maintenance.
· Aquadrive CBV10 for reduced engine noise and vibration.
Maintenance & Performance:
· The systems aboard BLUE DOLPHIN have been serviced in accordance with the Manufacturers’ recommendations.
Propulsion & Steering:
· GRP stern tube with water lubricated stern gland.
· Stainless steel propeller shaft.
· Max-prop 3-bladed feathering propeller.
· Bowthruster 82kg.
· Rope cutter, Ambassador AM10.
· 12v system.
· 240v ring main: includes 3 x double outlet sockets (saloon, galley and aft cabin), earth leak circuit breaker and connection cable (with plug for shore connection 16A) and 1kW immersion heater fitted in calorifier.
· Isolating switches.
· Circuit breakers on main panel.
· 12v 10 amp interior socket for low load applications.
· 2 x 12v 25 amp interior sockets for high load applications, fitted in cockpit.
· 4 x Mastervolt AGM batteries, 3 x 245ah for service and 1 x 115ah for engine start.
· Mastervolt battery charger 12/50 amp smart 3-step.
· Mastervolt Masterview easy battery monitor.
· 80 amp alternator.
· 230v 3.5kW generator with ship/shore changeover switch.
· 220 v.
· 4 x 45amp Solar panels.
· Wind generator.
Fresh Water & Water Heating System:
· 1kW immersion heater fitted in calorifier.
· Schenker Watermaker 34 litre ph.
· Automatic and manual.
· Fuel and water deck fillers.
· Total capacity of 288 litres / 63 gallons in non-metallic fuel tanks, with sediment trap, selector manifold and line filter.
· Total capacity of 545 litres.
· Non-metallic water strainer with removable filter.
Grey/Blackwater holding tanks:
· Holding tank plumbed to forward and aft heads.
· Raymarine ST60 wind/speed/depth instruments fitted above companionway.
· Raymarine autopilot with mamba drive, display at helm and chart table, SPX 10 smart pilot with rate gyro, includes rudder reference unit.
· Icom 423 VHF/DSC marine transceiver radio including aerial.
· Icom command mic external handset.
· External VHF speaker.
` Raymarine e95 touch screen multi-function display fitted to the binnacle, that will work together with or independently of the Raymarine c95 hybrid multi-function display fitted at chart table.
· Raymarine 18” scanner with scanstrut mast bracket.
· Raystar 130 satellite GPS antenna, mounted to coachroof.
· Binnacle helm compass.
· Twin stainless steel sinks.
· Pressurised hot and cold water.
· Front loading stainless steel refrigerator, keel-cooled.
· Top loading freezer, keel cooled.
· Fully gimballed gas cooker with 3-burners, grill and oven (fail-safe devices on all burners).
· Gas cut off tap.
· Deck shower with hot and cold water, fitted on transom.
Heating & Ventilation:
· 12v electric ventilator.
· Webasto Hot air heating system with outlets to saloon, each cabin and aft shower.
· Foldaway 12v electric fans to saloon and each cabin.
· Radio/CD/MP3 stereo system with remote control mounted in cockpit.
· MP3 universal holder with connection cable.
· Waterproof cockpit speakers.
· LED cabin lighting throughout.
· Reading lights over bunks.
· Chart light over navigation table.
· Full navigation light system incorporating bow lights, stern light, masthead tricolour light with Lopo LED white anchor light, deck flood light and steaming light.
Summary of Accommodation:
· Interior joinery is finished in American Cherry.
· Teak & holly laminate sole.
Description of layout:
· V berth, 2 x single berths, infill to convert to a double.
· Hanging locker.
· Shelved locker.
· 2 x Fixed portlights.
· 2 x Opening hatches.
· Marine toilet, plumbed to holding tank.
· Wash basin with Corian type surround.
· Hot and cold pressurized water.
· Electric shower pump.
· Shower grating.
· Opening hatch.
· Glass holder.
· Seating for eight people.
· Excellent vision.
· Folding leaf table, Burr Walnut top.
· 2 x Opening hatches.
· 2 x Front opening windows.
· 2 x Fixed portlights.
· Concertina blinds to pilot house windows.
· Pull out double berth conversion to port seating.
· Chart table to starboard, excellent visibility.
· Navigator's seat.
· Instrument console forward of chart table.
· Chart stowage.
· Locker spaces.
· Opening hatch over.
· Chart light.
· Main switch panel.
· Oilskin locker under companionway steps.
· Corian type worktop, Pebble Blue.
· Stainless steel grab rail.
· Ample storage for crockery and cutlery.
· Opening ports.
· Fixed hull port.
Master Aft Cabin:
· Large double centreline berth.
· Hanging lockers each side of bed.
· 2 x Corner lockers.
· Additional locker storage in lieu of standard seating.
· 2 x Opening port lights.
· Opening hatch.
· 1 x Fixed port light.
· 2 x Reading lights.
· Concertina blinds.
· Door to en-suite facilities and engine room.
· Marine toilet.
· Washbasin with Corian type surround.
· Hot and cold pressurised water.
· Separate shower with seat and hinged door.
· Grating to shower tray.
· Electric shower pump.
· Opening portlights.
· Glass holder.
· Centre cockpit.
· Laid teak to cockpit seats.
· Laid teak to cockpit sole.
· Cockpit table on forward side of pedestal.
· Sprayhood (tan) with hide covered grab bar.
· Bimini/cockpit tent with panels that unzip and roll away.
· Cockpit cushions using drainable foam.
· Lazarette locker to port and starboard.
· Gas bottle storage in cockpit locker to starboard.
· Perspex sliding hatch, vertically sliding wash boards with self-draining housing.
· Instrument panel above hatchway.
· 2 x Winch handle pockets.
· 3 x Safety harness eyes.
· Wheel rim covered with hide.
· Wheel and pedestal cover.
· Selden fractional rig.
· Double swept back spreaders.
· Self-tacking foresail.
· Furlex headsail reefing system.
· Backstay with manual tensioner.
· Aluminium spinnaker pole, vertical mast stowage with topping lift and down haul.
· 3 x climbing steps on mast.
· Genoa deck pack includes tracks, cars, end strops, turning block and Lewmar 50ST winches.
· Halyard & masthead block, stainless steel deck attachments for gennaker.
· 2nd jib halyard sheave, rope clutch jammer on mast.
· Self-tacking foresail track with sheet to cockpit.
· Turning blocks to take reefing lines.
· Mainsheet track with control lines.
· 3 x Rope clutches to port and 4 x to starboard, for running rigging.
· Lewmar 50ST winches.
· 1 x Lewmar 45AEST powered halyard winch.
· 2 x Lewmar 46ST winches for mainsheet.
· Fully battened Norlam XP main sail with Selden MDS cars.
· Three reefs to mainsail.
· Norlam XP self-tacking jib.
· Norlam XP furling genoa.
· UV protection strip to foresail.
· Lazy jacks.
· Stac pac system.
· Mainsail: 468ft2.
· Foredeck locker.
· Stainless steel pulpit incorporating navigation light bracket.
· Stainless steel stanchions and guardwires with gates port and starboard.
· Stainless steel pushpit incorporating stern grate, navigation light bracket and ensign socket.
· Good access aft for boarding via transom.
· Telescopic stern boarding ladder.
· Stainless steel grab handles on either side of coachroof with integral mainsheet lead.
Anchoring & Mooring Equipment:
· Mooring cleats forward and aft mounted on bulwark.
· Spring cleats amidships mounted on bulwark.
· Stainless steel stemhead fitting with twin bow rollers.
· Reinforced area to take anchor windlass.
· Quick Prince DP3 1500w windlass including hand held control head.
· Windlass control on steering pedestal.
· 2 x Folding deck eyes.
· 20kg Delta anchor.
· 50m of chain.
· 30m of warp.
Covers, Canvas & Cushions:
· Single teak seats to port and starboard pushpit.
Tender & Outboard:
· Simpson LSD75 davits to aft deck area.
· Harness lifeline jackstays port and starboard.
· Liferaft in cradle.
· 3 x Lifebuoys.
· EPIRB location device.
· Satellite phone (Iridium).
· 3 x Fire extinguishers.
· Automatic fire extinguisher in engine space.
· 1 x Fire blanket.