A super-practical classic from Fairey Marine – with elegant lines taken from the Huntsman 31, a long open cockpit, saloon with two berths, separate heads and a galley. Exceptional sea-keeping, with a long-legged cruising gait, the Spearfish looks right and is right.
Three owner’s from new. My ownership since 1991. Refurbished 1991/2 and 2008/9.
The 2008/9 refurbishment was undertaken by Hamble Yacht Services and included:
· Windows, hatch and windscreen resealed; New windscreen fitted (2014) without Kent Clear-screens.
· New seacocks throughout.
· Bottom sandblasted, epoxied and antifouled.
· Topsides properly polished (original).
· New sprayhood/cockpit cover.
· Cockpit wood work revarnished.
· Engine access hatches rebuilt and re-covered.
· New engine flexible fuel lines.
· New shafts.
· New seals and cutless bearings.
· Refurbished and balanced props.
· Reconditioned turbos.
· New batteries.
· New Garmin GPS.
· New speedo (replaces original mechanical speedo).
· New liferaft.
· New fire extinguishers.
In 2011/12 the bottom was stripped and copper coated, the rubbing strake was reset and the mast was revarnished. Anode bolts were renewed. The fuel tank was professionally cleaned and the fuel polished.
This Spearfish has been in use on the West coast of Scotland, on the South coast of England, based on the Beaulieu river, but with trips to the West Country, and latterly in the South of France where apart from coastal trips, she went to Corsica and back. In all, during my ownership, she has covered rather more than 8000nm. In the early days when the family was younger the children could sleep under the cockpit cover with my wife and myself in the cabin. She was in full commission in 2012 for spectating the J Class races on the Solent.
We have had enormous pleasure over the years and are only selling because I have now substantially retired from business activities and my wife and I are spending time cruising for longer periods, and we need a liveaboard rather than a weekend/picnic boat. The boat has its original layout and is clean & tidy.
Note: As of the 16/02/2015 WHITE ORCHID is fully commissioned and located in and around the South of France.
RCD Status: Our understanding is that the yacht is exempt from the essential safety requirements of Directive 94/25EC (Recreational Craft Directive) as she was built and placed into use within the EU prior to 1998.
Hull, Deck & Superstructure Construction:
· Standard white topsides with ice blue superstructure.
· Bathing ladder.
· Windows, hatch resealed (2008/9). New windscreen fitted (2014) without Kent Clear-screens.
· Bottom sandblasted, epoxied and antifouled (2008/09).
· Deck and superstructure re-painted in Awlgrip Ice Blue by HYS (2014).
· Topsides properly polished (original) (2008, 2009 and 2014).
· New sprayhood/cockpit cover (2008/9).
· Cockpit wood work revarnished (2008/9).
· In 2011/12 the bottom was stripped and copper coated, the rubbing strake was reset and the mast was revarnished. Anode bolts were renewed.
Engine & Gearboxes:
· 2 x Mermaid 210hp turbo diesel engines (1992) - serviced in December 2015.
· Engine access hatches rebuilt and re-covered (2008/9).
· New engine flexible fuel lines (2008/9).
· Reconditioned turbos (2008/9).
Maintenance & Performance:
· Engine Hours: c. 430 hours.
Propulsion & Steering:
· New shafts (2008/9).
· New seals and cutless bearings (2008/9).
· Refurbished and balanced props (2008/9).
· New chromed Morse controls (2014).
· 24V ships system.
· New batteries (2008/9).
· Battery charger.
Fresh Water & Water Heating System:
· Manual fresh water to galley sink and heads basin
· Manual bilge pump.
· B&G Speed, depth, trip etc.
· Navico VHF.
· New Garmin GPS (2008/9).
· New speedo (replaces original mechanical speedo) (2008/9).
· 2-burner gas cooker.
· Thetford chemical WC.
· Lighting throughout accommodation.
Summary of Accommodation:
· Cockpit and interior cushions in dark blue canvas with white piping.
· Striped towel covers for cockpit cushions available.
· Small picnic table for cockpit.
Anchoring & Mooring Equipment:
· CQR anchor with chain and warp.
· Small Danforth with chain and warp.
· Various other warps.
Covers, Canvas & Cushions:
· Tonneau cover.
· Overall cockpit cover.
· Liferaft (2008/9).
· New fire extinguishers (2008/9).