Original construction report: “Keel and timbers are of oak, keelson yellow pine, planking fir, and decks and deckhouses are of teak. Mahogany, in natural finish, is used for the interior of the big deckhouse.” reportedly the original Douglas fir planking was shipped to New York by rail from Oregon. Stem has been replaced in Ironbark. The vessel was recently re-fastened with bronze fasteners and new bronze keelbolts. Recent survey available, December 2011.
The vessel is arranged with all crew accommodations and maintenance accessed from the forward part of the boat, and all owner accommodations aft, making it possible for the crew to perform most tasks without ever having to interrupt the guests.
In the focsle are crew accommodations for four (with access from on deck or through the dining room.) Moving aft is a large space for pantry, refrigerated stores, washer/dryer, secure china and stemware stowage, with below deck wine and provisions storage. A steel bulkhead and door separates the pantry space from the engine room, with AC & DC electrical panels, 2 generators, watermaker, furnace, etc.
On the Main Deck forward is the large formal Dining Room with seating for eight. Immediately aft and a half deck up is the wheelhouse. Passing the wheelhouse on the port side leads to the fully equipped commercial galley, while passing aft to starboard leads to the main boarding area, with direct access aft to the Main Saloon. Aft of the Saloon is a wet bar area, and the fantail lounge space with partially enclosed dinette/sette and wrap-around fantail stern seating. The entire fantail area is enclosed in state-of-the art clear acrylic isinglass, with easy opening sliding panels port and starboard.
Owner/guest accommodations for eight are accessed from and directly below the Main Saloon. Stateroom No. 1, with queen size berth, is forward to port, with adjoining dressing room with head and shower. This head also has a separate entrance from the passageway for use as a day head if desired. The starboard forward stateroom also has a queen sized berth, and adjoins another head with shower, which also serves the starboard “bunk room”. The aft stateroom is a spacious double cabin with adjoining private head and shower.
The Upper Deck is accessed from a vertical ladder amidships starboard. On this deck is a variety of deck boxes, a chest freezer, life rafts and tenders – a 16’ Boston Whaler to port and the original 16’ lapstrake launch to starboard.
- Main Engines twin Detroit Diesel 6-71’s with Twin Disc transmissions. Approximately 3000 hrs on each.
- 3” stainless steel propeller shafts, with 32 x 34” bronze propellers.
- Northern Lights N844L 20kW 120/240VAC Generator
- Kohler 8kW 120VAC Generator
- Webasto Diesel/Electric heating system, works on 24VDC or 120VAC to provide domestic hot water and
- hydronic heating system water (via convectors located throughout the vessel.)
- Spectra Newport 700 watermaker (approx. 30 GPH)
- Carbonator lube oil extraction pump with manifold system to all 4 diesel engines.
- Quincy 1.5 HP 120VAC Air Compressor + 24VDC Backup Compressor (for air-shifting and whistles.)
- (4) Dometic Masterflush electric toilets (ceramic household style), with 110 g. holding tank and Sealand
- macerator discharge pump.
- Bilge Pumps: (4) Rule 2000 submersible pumps w/ float switches and high-water alarms in engine room
- and helm station.
- (1) Johnson L2200 submersible pump in forepeak. Leeson 1.5HP 115VAC centrifugal
- pump with bilge/SW manifold with 4 pickups or SW supply to washdown or fire main.
- Headhunter X-Caliber 24VDC Fresh Water Pressure System.
- (2) 50A 120/240VAC Shore Power connections with (2) Charles 50A Shore Power Isolators/Boosters
- MasterVolt MVT 37024005 MASS COMBI 24/4000 INVT/CHRGR
- (16) Dyno L16HC 350AH house batteries, wired for 24V, 1400AH
- (2) Dyno 8D Deep Cycle Starting Batteries
- Auxiliary & Emergency batteries below wheelhouse sole: (2) 8D davit bank + (1) 8D electronics battery.
- Separate start batteries for each generator
- AC & DC Electrical panels by Superior Marine Electric. Automatic switching, digital meters, etc
- 24VDC American Windlass (Philadelphia), Dual Wildcat, ¾ HPPort
- Anchor 110-LB Galvanized Danforth,
- Starboard Anchor 180 LB Cast Danforth375-ft of ½” galvanized anchor chain port and starboard.
- Tender Davits: Port side (2) 2000# Warn Industrial, Starboard (2) 3000# Warn
- Industrial winches, 12VDC
- VHF #1 Transceiver: Standard Horizon Quest X, GX1500S
- VHF #2 Tranceiver: West Marine ZEPHYR
- Handheld VHFs: (2) West Marine VHF150
- Furuno GP-32 GPS/WAAS Navigator
- Furuno Navnet Chartplotter System, with 48-mile open array radar, DFF-1 Depth Sounder, CMap NT
- Comnav Auto Pilot 1101 AP
- Furuno Depth Sounder FCV-665, OEM-E2335-OB
- Maximum Vigilant Anemometer, Shatz Royal Mariner Bell Clock, Merpowitz Barometer,
- Kelvin-Hughes Inclinometer
- (3) Horns, 100psi air: duplex ship’s horn, Kahlenberg Model S-1; 4-tone tweeter;
- single trumpet Carcotone
- Carlisle & Finch Co., 12” Spotlight
- Wheelhouse Stereo: Fusion RA-200, AM/FM/IPOD/VHF/WX receiver.
- Viking 4-burner propane Galley Range
- Hobart Commercial Dishwasher/sanitizer (90 second cycle time)
- Broan Trash Compactor
- Frigidaire 21 CF Galley Refer/Freezer, Separate 7CF Refer and 7CF Freezer in Pantry
- Full size chest freezer on Upper Deck, Bar refer on aft deck, Clear ice maker on aft deck
- Full size stacked washer and dryer
- Port side: Boston Whaler 15’ Supersport LTD 1988, with1999 70HP Johnson Outboar
- Starboard side: Original 16’ lapstrake tender (given the name “Junaluska”, after the original name of the yacht), fully restored by Alan Thomle with Dynel/epoxy sheathing
- 4-cylLycoming inboard gas engine, seats 6.
- This boat has won numerous awards at Classic Boat Festivals
- 2-bottle Fixed Fire Extinguishing System in the Engine Room, with activation pulls on the main deck and at the wheelhouse
- Full complement of fire extinguishers and all USCG required safety equipment
- (2) 8-person Avon self-inflating life rafts.
- 406 EPIRB
- (2) 30” throwable Life Rings with automatic strobe lights
Olympus is a one-of-a-kind heirloom vessel, embodying the best of the “Golden Age of Motoryachts.” Cruising aboard her is an experience never forgotten, as time slows down and guests feel they are living life to the fullest. This is a vessel to be cherished and an ownership opportunity that may never come again.
Olympus is a very special classic yacht with a strong, historical, provenance. She has entertained several presidents, heads of state, many movie stars and other dignitaries. She is in exceptional condition and she even smells good throughout. Olympus is for someone that appreciates and wants to experience the grand classic style of yachting and entertaining. She comes turnkey, with art work, glass wear, silverware, formal serving trays and dishes, etc., all stowed in custom, fitted, drawers and cabinets and ready to host a most elegant dinner party. There isn’t another yacht near this price range that can entertain with ice carvings, a chef and stewards in uniform and get away with it without appearing too pretentious for the boat