Search for a Center Cockpit Boat
Find New and Used Center Cockpit Boats for Sale
Popular Center Cockpit Boat Brands and Builders
Center Cockpit Boat Tips
What Is a Center Cockpit Boat?
A center cockpit boat is one that places the cockpit of the vessel in the middle (versus aft cockpit boats). Larger boats feature a center cockpit as protection from weather and to provide increased visibility. There are several types of center cockpit sailboats for sale with different hull types including monohull displacement for overnight cruising and day sailing. From larger beam features and aft cabins, to easier fishability and sailing, center cockpits have many advantages for those looking to partake in these recreational activities.
What is the Cockpit of a Boat?
The cockpit of a boat is a protected, somewhat enclosed space on deck, usually from where a boat is controlled or steered. Every boat, from professional yachts, to cruising yachts will feature a cockpit at some place on the vessel, whether it is in the center like the ones we are discussing today, or an aft cockpit, yachts require this area to control and steer the boat.
What is the Difference Between a Center Cockpit and an Aft Cockpit?
A center cockpit is generally placed higher up toward the middle of the boat, allowing for a larger master cabin and separation between other guest cabins. While aft cockpit yachts prioritize the cockpit toward the aft (stern) of the boat, allowing for larger and lower cockpits.
What is the Benefit of a Center Cockpit Boat?
Center cockpits are very popular among the recreational fishing community; however, they have many other advantages as well.
- Increased visibility – With 360-degree views, many captains prefer center cockpit boats for the greater visibility they offer.
- Deck space – Center cockpits offer a great amount of deck space to enjoy the views, or fishing.
- Protection from the elements – A large screen and Bimini or hard top provide added coverage to the captain from the sun and rain.
- Hull Types – Most center cockpit boats will be monohull displacement, allowing for greater speed and control of the vessel.
Some of the most popular center cockpit brands include:
Why are Center Cockpit Boats so Popular?
Center cockpit boats are very popular with anglers thanks to 360-degree fishability, plenty of deck space, with ample space on the aft and foredecks. Sailors enjoy center cockpit sailboats due to the location of the cockpit making it easier to run the lines from sails to the helm station in the cockpit so a lot more fun and enjoyable for cockpit sailing.
Some other key features of a center cockpit boat are:
- Cruising Yachts – Many center cockpit sailboats and motor yachts provide added comfort for those looking to do overnight cruising and day sailing trips. Sailing vessels looking to do larger crossings or racing enjoy this style of cockpit sailing in particular.
- Hull Types – Center cockpit boats come in a wide variety of hull types and include monohull center cockpit sailboats and motor yachts. Monohull displacement provides sailors especially with more of a professional yacht feel, allowing for easier cockpit sailing, such as that available on Hallberg Sassy center cockpit boats for sale.
- Beam Features – Many will be attracted to center cockpit boats as they provide a larger beam than some aft cockpit boats.
- Cabin Layout – A large selling point for many with center cockpit sailboats and motor yachts is the larger aft cabin space available thanks to the cockpit sitting midship. Even if your main goal is some light cruising and day sailing, added space down below is never a bad thing.
What are Center Cockpit Boats Good for?
Center cockpit boats come in a wide variety of options, but most are well-known for fishing and sailing vessels; however, there are a wide variety of reasons someone might want to purchase a center cockpit boat. Center cockpit sailing vessels offer increased comfort and safety for long-distance cruising with a protected cockpit, meaning improved performance in all weather conditions. Many enjoy the beam features of a center cockpit as they provide a wider living space and aft cabins for overnight cruising and day sailing.
YATCO.com has several center cockpit motor yachts and center cockpit sailboats for sale to start your search. Whether you’re looking for a professional yacht with crew, or a cruising yacht you can enjoy with the family, there are plenty to choose from.