Deep sea fishing involves taking your boat or yacht out into the open ocean or deep waterways and enjoying fishing for species of fish that prefer deep waters. Learn more about deep sea fishing in Florida and the best yachts to use for your deep sea fishing adventures with YATCO’s guide.
- What is deep sea fishing?
- Deep Sea Fishing Tips
- How much does deep sea fishing cost in Florida?
- What deep sea fish are in season in Florida?
- What to wear deep sea fishing in Florida?
- Where are the best deep sea fishing places in Florida?
- When is the best time of the year to deep sea fish in Florida?
- What are the best deep sea fishing boats for sale in Florida?
- Who has the best deep sea fishing boats in Florida?
- Boat Buying Guides
What is deep sea fishing?
Deep sea fishing usually only applies to recreational fishing that takes place in waters that are at least 100 feet deep. Given the large depths need, deep sea fishing usually also happens far from shore where the water depths are just right. And you won’t be catching any small 20 pounders out there, most people enjoy deep sea fishing for the thrill of pulling in a 1,000 pound marlin or wrangling in a big tuna off the coast.
Deep Sea Fishing Tips
How much does deep sea fishing cost in Florida?
Florida is a very popular deep sea fishing destination for anglers of all types.
Known as the “fishing capital of the world” deep sea fishing in Florida offers ample fish to catch, and numerous waterways to head out on. From the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico to the Florida Keys and everywhere in between, the waters are teeming with fish and easy deep-sea depths to reach in a short period of time.
The exact cost to go deep sea fishing in Florida will fluctuate based on a few factors:
- Time of year
- Length of charter
- Number of people
- Size of boat or yacht
As a guide, you can expect to pay roughly $100 per person, all the way to over $5,000 for a full day charter catching specialized types of fish.
What deep sea fish are in season in Florida?
While the exact species of deep sea fish available in Florida will fluctuate based on the time of year, people flock to the warm waters around Florida to land the follow catches:
- Blue Marlin
- Mahi Mahi
What to wear deep sea fishing in Florida?
Deep sea fishing in Florida will usually take place under the hot Florida sun, so you’ll want to wear light clothing, plenty of sunscreen and a hat, not to mention polarized sunglasses so you have the best view of the water. However, due to ocean spray or inclement weather, you’ll want to make sure you have some wet weather gear as well.
Where are the best deep sea fishing places in Florida?
As a fishing paradise, there are plenty of deep sea fishing options when visiting Florida. Some of the top spots include:
- Cape Coral
- Fort Lauderdale
- Gulf of Mexico
- Key Largo
- Key West
- Ormond Beach
- Panama City Beach
- Santa Rosa
- St. Augustine
- St. Petersburg
- Tampa Bay
- Tarpon Springs
When is the best time of the year to deep sea fish in Florida?
With so many fish to catch in Florida’s rich waters, you can find excellent fishing conditions year-round, it just depends on what you’re looking for. While the best deep sea fishing in October and deep sea fishing in November through January will be best on the Atlantic Coast, when fish seek out warmer waters in the winter months; areas like the Gulf Coast will benefit from better fishing conditions in the summer months.
If you’re looking to escape winter and enjoy some deep sea fishing in February, you’re better off heading to the freshwater options in Florida.
What are the best deep sea fishing boats for sale in Florida?
When looking for the best boat design for your deep sea fishing in Florida, you’ll want to look for a few key factors:
- Large range – To get you out into the deep ocean, and to ensure you have enough fuel to stay at sea and return when you want.
- Size – Depending on the group size, or the amount of fishing you’d like to catch, you’ll want to pick the right size boat for your needs.
- Hull design – most fishing boats will have a Deep-V hull or semi-V hull.
Sportfish Boats and Yachts for Sale in Florida Near You
Flybridgde Boats and Yachts for Sale in Florida Near You
Who has the best deep sea fishing boats in Florida?
Now that we know the best boat type to tackle your deep sea fishing in Florida, you might be wondering what the best boat brands are. Some of the most reputable deep sea fishing boat builders you will find in Florida include:
Boat Buying Guides
- Boat Brands Guide: If you’re looking to explore the best boat and yacht brands available in 2023, please refer to our guide here. Discover the best boat brands, top luxury yacht brands and boat types available in Florida.
- Boating in Florida Guide: As a world-renowned fishing destination, the best way to discover Florida is naturally, by boat! Discover everything you need to know about boating in Florida with YATCO’s guide.
- Buying a Yacht Checklist: Buying a yacht is an exciting and thrilling time in your life. With so many options to choose from, it can also be a little daunting. Don’t start shopping for your next yacht without referring to YATCO’s Yacht Buying Checklist.
- Boat & Yacht Buyer Guide: Confirming the boat or yacht you want to buy is the first step on your ownership journey. YATCO can help you every step of the way – from finding the right broker to work with, to a vast number of guides and articles to help you along the way. Start your search with our Boat & Yacht Buyer Guide here.
- Boating Right of Way Guide: Now that you know the boat you want to buy and how to navigate the red tape of ownership, you’ll want to be equipped with the rules and regulations of the water. YATCO published a Boating Right of Way Guide with pointers and tips on how to ensure every trip on the water is a safe one.
Deep sea fishing in Florida is unlike any other recreational fishing you’ve done, and it remains a bucket list item for many fishermen and women out there. With the above tips and information, you’ll soon be well on your way to owning your own deep sea fishing boat or yacht and be able to explore Florida’s wide range of fishing spots!
Subscribe to the YATCO newsletter to stay up to date on the latest boating and yachting news and insights.